Status: Not looking good, lads.

Sold My Soul

Chapter Four: I Think I'm Paranoid - Garbage

Somehow, Jimmy had come to inherit a rather large sum of money at a young age. That was the only reason I could come up with, anyway, to explain how he managed to live in a condo on the beach, while in my entire two years of knowing him he had never had a job. The place was fancy, only a couple blocks from main street and the pier, with security at the entrance, not to mention it was the only residential building in Huntington that was right on the beach.

“We can’t stay here too long. I don’t want anyone else caught up in this.” Brian said as we followed Jimmy’s car into the parking lot.

“At least we don’t have to worry about anything happening tonight.” I gestured to the high fence around the property as he parked in one of the only empty spots left. "Security should have us covered, don't you think?"

“Sure.” Brian cut the engine and got out of the car without another word, grabbing his bag out of the backseat.

“You guys really didn’t bring much, did you?” Jimmy took one of my own bags out of the trunk, as I walked around to meet them.

“Starting over, remember?”

“Well sure, but still...” he threw the bag over his shoulder as I grabbed the other one and closed the trunk. “Kinda seems like a waste of money.”

“We’ll make it work.” Brian said impatiently. “Can we get going? It’s 5:30 a.m., so try to understand when I say I’m a little fucking tired.”

Jimmy gave him a nonplussed look before offering me his arm. “Well then, my lady, shall I escort you to your bedchambers?”

“You should be careful, Jimmy.” I grinned at him, before glancing over at Brian. My smile faded. Once upon a time a comment like that would have caused him to jump in and pull me away, complete with a “get your own girl” comment. But this time he just rolled his eyes and made a point of pulling out his phone to “check” the time.

“Don’t worry, I can beat him up if he’s still being a pissy little thing when we get up.” Jimmy instead threw his arm around my shoulders, giving them a squeeze as we started to walk inside. “I guess divas like him just need their eight hours, otherwise this happens.”

“Yeah, I guess so...”

Inside, Jimmy dropped my bag in the spare room, which was bigger than our own bedroom at the old apartment. “See ya in the morning.” he paused, then laughed as he started down the short hallway to his own room. “Christ, I’m hilarious. Morning...it is morning...”

After quickly changing into my pajamas (boxers and an old t-shirt) and brushing my teeth, Brian was already in bed, facing away from me. As I crawled in beside him, I silently thanked whatever god it was I should be praying to these days that it was Friday. I wouldn’t have to worry about work until Monday.

***

I was woken up the next morning as someone jumped on the bed between Brian and myself. “Look alive, Sunshine! We’ve got groceries to buy, alcohol to buy, other illicit substances to buy...? Party time is only six hours away!”

Brian rolled over and pulled his pillow over his head. “Fuck off, Baker.”

Zacky grinned, then sat up straight and began what could only be described as stroking his rather long beard. That is, if he had one. As it was he was doing this “beard-stroking” to thin air. “Well, as tempting as that may be, now is not the time, nor place. Anyway, such activities are much more enjoyable with several other ladies around. I’m sorry, but only one, who is not single, really won’t do. Now GET UP.” with that he jumped up, pulled the comforter off the bed, and ran out of the room dragging the blanket behind him.

“Fucking hell...” Brian grumbled, sitting up and putting his head in his hands. “Who let him in here?”

“Probably no one. But when has that ever stopped him?” I got out of bed and grabbed some shorts and a t-shirt before heading off to the bathroom to shower.

When I was more or less ready for the day half an hour later, I went out to the living room where Jimmy, Brian and Zacky were watching old Beetlejuice cartoons. Zack had wrapped himself up in the comforter but he jumped up when they noticed me. “Let’s get going! You’re my shopping buddy!”

“I’ll come too.” Brian said quickly, standing up as well. “Just let me grab my wallet.”

“No way. You’re with me.” Jimmy pulled him back down on the couch. “We gotta get this place ready, gotta call more people up, gotta do lots of things! Ash and Zack can handle it.”

“But -”

“I’ll be okay Brian.” I said, being the only other one is the room who knew why he was so adamant about going. “We won’t be gone long, right Zee?”

“Don’t know.” he said mysteriously. “Does anyone really know?”

I shook my head. “My mistake for asking you. We won’t be gone long. And I have my phone. We’ll be okay.”

“Why wouldn’t we be okay?” Zacky frowned.

“Yeah, what’s up with you guys?” Jimmy added.

“Nothing. Fine. Go.” Brian turned back to the television.

“You heard the man. Let’s roll.” Zacky grabbed my arm and pulled me out the door.

Jimmy’s condo was within walking distance of the nearest CVS, which would have everything the guys would want for their party. Almost everything, anyway. Regardless we set off down the sidewalk. I couldn’t help but think that Brian was being a little paranoid. It was the middle of June, prime tourist season, and people were everywhere. There was no way those people from last night would try something around here.

“So what’s up with Bee-Rye?” Zacky asked, putting on his favorite pair of white sunglasses. “He’s been pretty bitchy lately. You holding out on him these days?”

“No, dipshit.” I smacked him across the back of the head. If anything, it was the other way around nowadays. The feeling of dread that had planted itself in the back of my head yesterday continued to grow. He doesn’t want this relationship anymore... “I think he’s just stressed. Money and shit, you know how it is.”

“Ah. Well then, nothing that a joint, some good tunes, and some scantily clad ladies won’t fix right up! Not a lack of those around here, either.” he gestured at the beach to our right as we continued to walk. “Maybe he should have come along on this adventure.”

“Who have you guys invited, anyway?” I asked, wanting to change the subject.

“Um...no one outside the usual, really. I should change that.” he stopped walking. There were a lot of people on the beach. A good portion of them seemed to be around our age, save for the older man who was reading a newspaper on a bench. He frowned as soon as Zack started yelling. “PARTY TONIGHT AT JIMMY SULLIVAN’S PLACE, HOSTED BY HIM, YOURS TRULY, AND BRIAN HANER! BRING YOUR OWN BOOZE AND SEE YOU THERE!” he rattled off Jimmy’s address before stuffing his hands in his pockets and walking off without another word.

“You might regret that, you know.” I laughed as I caught up to him.

“Nonsense. The more the merrier!” he held the door to CVS open for me. “Now how much money are we willing to spend on vodka?”
♠ ♠ ♠
The only reason this showed up so fast is because I'm trying to avoid writing an essay for English class.

I have been to Huntington Beach, so "geographical" details should be pretty accurate. Coincidentally, my hotel was actually right across the street from the condo where Jimmy used to live. Too bad I didn't know that until after we got there, otherwise I would have picked somewhere else. :/

Beetlejuice is seriously awesome.

Thank you again to everyone who has reviewed so far. <3 Comments have a good chance of making updates happen sooner. :)

Peace off!