‹ Prequel: Stay Gold
Status: Hurp a durp.

Hidden Perfections

Chapter One

Emma was constantly doing selfless things. She never saw anything she did as selfless though, in her mind they were things of common courtesy.

Like the time her father, Robert, was threatened by the recluse who lived in the creepy old castle on the hill. What happened was, Robert had gone to another town to barter horses to pay for his next insane business venture. He got caught in a horrible blizzard just a few miles from home, but the blizzard had disoriented him so badly, he had no idea where he was. His horse had spooked and taken off, and Robert had been left on his own. He knew he had to find shelter, or he would die before he ever got to see his daughter again.

He was walking around blind, hoping to come across a cottage. He opened the first door his hands felt. Next thing he knew, he was in a fancy foyer, his feet on a rug worth his home and everything inside it, and more. He knew he shouldn't be there, but what other option did he have? Go outside and freeze to death, leaving his daughter to fend for herself with nothing? He'd take his chances trespassing.

He walked up flights of stairs, in awe of all the immaculate furnishings and artwork, calling 'Hello?' as he went. He walked up four flights of stairs before there was an answer and he ran out of stairs.He was in a pitch black corridor. He held his hand up in front of his face, but he couldn't see them.

"Who's there?" Came a gruff voice, so close behind him it was terrifying.

Robert tried to explain his situation, and to an extent, he did. But it must not have been good enough to appease the man, because he flew into a rage, grabbing Robert back the back of his cloak and hauling him down the stairs, yelling about how he'd kill him. The man calmed down some and gave Robert an option.

His death; or something of equal value.

Robert promised the man he could bring him something to replace his death.

The man agreed to let him go and bring back whatever it was that was so valuable, telling him he could stay there until the storm let up, but after that, he had until sunset the next day to get back, otherwise he would come looking.

In Robert's short experience with this angry man, he didn't have the slightest doubt in his mind that he truly would come looking, and it would mean trouble if he did.

The next day he made it home by lunchtime. He explained everything to Emma, and she seemed to understand it fine. He was pleased she was taking it so easily. What Robert didn't know, was that as soon as he told Emma the ultimatum, she formulated a plan in her mind.

Emma couldn't possible let some monster of a man kill her father.

That night, when Robert laid down to sleep his last night in his home, Emma left him a note and silently slipped out the front door, and into the black night.