‹ Prequel: Stay Gold
Status: Hurp a durp.

Hidden Perfections

Chapter Four

After three hours of arduous scrubbing, Emma's bedroom was finally somewhat decent. It still had a musty smell, but there was little she could do about that. Clean sheets had been put on the bed, Emma guessed it was when she was still stuck up in the tower.

She had nothing to do now, so however reluctantly, she figured she better find Burke. She couldn't just sit around and do nothing. Also, she was his maid now. Her job was to clean.

So Emma left her chambers and prepared to get lost in the never ending twists and turns in the castle.

But, luckily, or unluckily, however you want to look at it, Burke was just a few yards down the corridor walking towards her.

"I'm going to need you to cook dinner now."

"Of course." Emma didn't have a problem with cooking his dinner, but would it have killed him to ask? "Just show me the kitchen please."

"This way." He led her through many more twists and turns. Whoever the architect for this castle was, he better have been dead, or Emma might have been tempted to do the deed herself.

Finally Burke stopped in front of a heavy wood door. "Kitchen's right through there,"

"Thank you," Emma said, pushing past Burke and through the door. Just to stop dead in her tracks. The man was a slob. Dirty pots and dishes and god knows what else were everywhere. The floor was covered in dirt. How could he cook in here? How could he eat anything that was cooked in here?

Emma turned back to look at Burke. "It might be a while," She said, "Because I refuse to cook in these conditions. I'll have to clean it up." Then she closed the door and got right to work.

An hour later, Emma put the food on the table. She had made beef stew and bread. She dished his food, and then hers and started back into the kitchen to eat.

"Where are you going?" She heard right before she opened the kitchen door.

"To the kitchen." She told him, her tone saying it should be obvious.

"I meant, why are you going to the kitchen?"

"To eat. Maids usually eat in the kitchen."

"Not here." He cleared his throat. "Have a seat." He said, pointing to the chair across the big table from him.

"Fine." Emma pulled out the chair and sat down.

And a very awkward and silent meal succeeded.