The Mark of Chaos

Aren't we all alittle monsterous?

“A thousand years ago, mankind was at the peak of civilization. Our cities reached the heavens, our people ruled the lands. It was our time, and it was wonderful. But nothing good lasts forever, and it was then that ‘they’ came. Enemies of God, impure monsters that crushed our cities and made slaves out of our people. And we plead to the Lord. We called his name over and over to the heavens. But God told man that mankind too had become impure, and only we, the children of god, will be saved. This ground we stand on is the holy ground of God, and it is our land. Generations have been born and protected on these grounds, and they will continue to do so as long as the Laws are followed.”
Cheers rose from the stone chamber, a canopy of noise that reverberated through my ears and bounced around my skull. The cheers were for him; the leader, the Shepard, the Pure.
I stared soundless at the him from my roost, stared at that warm, inviting smile, and it made me want to heave.
What a load of shit, I thought, slipping into the dark tunnel. Since the congregation is over, it seemed unnecessary to remain with those naïve fools.
Hmph.
They follow that man blindly, like his words are sacred. Like they are the words of God.
Idiots.
I leaned against the cool stone walls, rubbing my temples in an futile effort to get rid of the ever present headache that accompanied every congregation. Too many people, too much noise, and not enough room. Not really a good combination, even less so when you don’t happen to be one of the ‘flock’.
Well, better not hang around.
The ground of the rarely used tunnel scraped against my feet. There was little light here, but my eyes have long since grew accustomed to this darkness; this deep black, consuming darkness. It was a part of me, more so than anyone else. Well, maybe not Michael, the leader. There was a stain on his soul, a darkness that would never be fully covered by that ‘mask’ he wears. Now, if only the others would take the time and truly look at that man.
Alas, it seems only monsters can see other monsters. Perhaps if I was a higher rank, perhaps I could try to sway others to see him for what he truly is. Well, that’s fine. I don’t need the hassle of all that responsibility anyways. Being one of the many drones gives me certain freedoms that I wouldn’t trade for the world.
I turned into the narrow tunnel; a shortcut that lead to the work area. The walls barely brushed against me skin as I made my way down, turning this way and that as the tunnel weaved. It took little time to reach the junction. Dim light filtered through the darkness, slowly engulfing me. The light stung my eyes.
Voices cut through the silence, familiar voices that I’ve grow used to in my time. Phillip appeared at the entrance of the work room, a stocky man with unkempt rust red hair. I peered at me as I approached, arms crossed in solemn dedication. Phillip was a man strict with his job. Strict, but not altogether unmovable.
I gave him one of my best smiles, perfected after years of watching others.
“Ah Lucia right on time.” Phillip stated warmly.
“How is your daughter? Is she well?” I asked with well-acted concern.
“Perfectly well. Her check up went fine. Her health is great, thanks to you.”
“I’m glad.” Because you’re so thankful that you always give me the easiest work.
Phillip’s daughter Rebecca was born, like many children here in these dank tunnels, with a disease that slowly eats away at their insides. The first to go are usually the kidneys. Then it moves on to the liver, the heart, and finally, the brain. It is both painful and messy.
There is a cure, of course, but it is very expensive, and not something a lower rung lackey like Phillip could come by. That’s where I come in. Now, I may seem like a scrawny teenage girl, small and fragile, but I have both the knowledge and the skills that come in handy in this situation. No one knows these tunnels better than me, and no one knows except me knows where Michael keeps his hidden stash of medicine.
So, I just happened to ‘procure’ some and just happened to give it to Phillip. He didn’t ask where it came from, and ever since, he has given me leeway on the job.
“You can clock out today. Not much work. We’re running low. Not enough lambs are being born.”
Maybe they’re depressed. It is a common enough occurrence. The pasture doesn’t get enough sunlight, the stone walls leading up into a gaping hole that is somewhere in the mountains.
“How sad.” I replied, acting solemn. Phillip nodded sadly.
He’s a good man, that Phillip. He truly cares about me and the others. It is that kindness that makes him unable to see the real me. And why I chose his department.
“See you soon, Lucia.”
I didn’t glance back as I strolled away, the darkness closing in on all sides. It was a welcomed thing, as all monsters crave the darkness, and I was, without a doubt, a monster. In more ways than one.