Status: Active/Unfinished

My New Addiction

Skinny Love

Jess
“You know, sometimes, I just want to run away.” Chris said out of the blue. We sat at the bleachers cross-legged facing each other. I really like Chris’ hair. It just goes in every direction and how the sun brings up its best color.
“Why?” I asked.
“I don’t know. I just want to take a break from chaos, that’s all.” He answered while he soaked up as much sun as possible. We were playing on an open area tonight so everyone got a bit of time under the sun.
“You’re right.” I said, pushing the shades onto my eyes.
“What makes you say so?”
“Hm, maybe it’s because it’s good to clear your head every once in a while. I mean, I love my band and all but sometimes, I just want to go home and tell all my girl friends that I did this and that.” I replied with a chuckle.
“So, in short, you just miss all the girl action?” he laughed.
“I just miss the feeling of home and serenity.” I stared across the field and saw Stephen with a bag of burritos in his hand. I guess that’s what I miss most. I spot the band entering the venue with fast food alongside. “And maybe the girl action. It kind of sucks being one of the few girls in the tour.”
“You know, Jess, you’re a great girl.” Chris looked at me intently.
“What makes you say so?” I threw him the same question.

“Just because.” He smiled as he leaned in for something totally unexpected. I don’t know how Stephen would feel. I don’t even know if he’ll even see but this doesn’t concern Stephen anymore. I’m pretty sure he himself erased his part in my life when he “broke up” with me. Sure, we never agreed to a proper label but we had commitment. Chris kisses me softly and I kissed him right back. It wasn’t quite the same. It was something I hadn’t felt in a very long time. It felt different. good different.

“C,mon, I’m hungry.” I smiled as I broke the kiss then grabbed Chris’s hands then ran off to my band mates causing him to stumble on the way. “A little bit of introduction is needed.”
“Chris, this is Brian, Jobe, John and Stephen.” I said pointing to each of them. “The Summer Set, meet Chris.”
“What’s up?” He said, shaking everybody’s hands then giving them high fives. “So, is this the best friend?”
“I guess- yeah, I guess I am. I mean, was.” Stephen choked on his drink as he responded. I didn’t have to worry about Chris feeling alone since Brian was there. I mean, we can all agree that Brian’s the male socialite of the band. He can talk about anything under the sun… which was kind of literal since we were under the sun.

“Yeah, I have to settle this down for a while. I’ll be right back.” Stephen said, gesturing to the plastic bags in his hands.
“I think I’ll help with that.” I volunteered, aiming for a bit of time with Stephen. As soon as we got backstage in our dressing rooms, the plastered faces melted.
“Well, he’s a hell of a guy, Jess. Nice catch!” Stephen said sarcastically with a wink to match.
“Quit it, Stephen. Just be nice to him, okay.” The shift of his emotions was so evident after what I said. “I really like him.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was sitting calmly on the hard cement when I felt someone sit beside me. We were on our final shows of tour and it’s nights alone that give you a sense of comfort. Of course the night alone was to be interrupted by company. I didn't realize who it was until he offered me a cigarette.
"Want one?" Stephen asked.
"No, sorry." I declined. His laugh was something I hadn’t heard in a while. This was the most decent conversation we’re had in weeks. There weren’t even any unnecessary remarks involved. “You know, your habit of smoking still bothers me. You had such terrible asthma when we were younger.”
“How’s Chris?” He asked, blowing smoke into the air.
"I don’t know." I blushed into a deeper shade of red. “Ask him.”
"Is that what he is though? Your boyfriend?"
"I don't know. We went out a couple of times- why am I even telling you this?"
"I don't know either."
“I like him, actually… he’s-“
“He’s what?” I ask. “Wait, are you going gay for him?!”
“Definitely not.” He replied with another laugh. My continuous streak of luck with Stephen wasn’t going to stop. “He’s just- good for you.”
"I don't know. Just- just leave me alone, Stephen."
"I'll never leave you alone, you know."
"Too bad. You already did."
"What do you know?"
"All I know is that you just lost a lover, Jess, not your best friend." He said before pushing himself up from the ground.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah I don't know what to do next