Status: Complete.

Resistance Is Useless

Karina

It seemed like all hell was going to break loose. I wanted to scream, but I didn’t. The judge handed out our sentences like they were diplomas. I obviously did not get as long of a sentence as them, but nine years was still a long fucking time in prison. A long time without Alex or anyone. My whole world came crashing down in the three days, but this was officially the worst moment of my life.
“This court is adjourned,” The judge stated, slamming her gavel once before leaving her stand.
All I could do was cry again like I did before. My whole body seemed numb as one officer cuffed my hands together and began to escort me out the courtroom. There was so much commotion then. I looked at Matt, who was still sitting down. He caught my gaze with an expression that was unreadable. I watched him shake his head and walk out without a word to anyone.
I watched another officer shove Alex further out the courtroom with a struggle. Alex was strong, and he was stubborn. Alex continuously cursed the guy out. I would’ve laughed if we weren’t exactly here.
“Alex,” I said, reaching out for him.
He stopped arguing with the man holding onto him and looked back at me.
“Let go of me,” Alex said calmly to the guy holding him. “Or take me to her. I’m not your prison bitch, dude.”
The man holding him let go cautiously like Alex was going to make a run for it. But he only walked straight to me. I could practically feel the tension and anger radiating off of him until I held him and it all disappeared.
“Please don’t leave me,” I begged, crying even harder until I couldn’t breathe. “I can’t--”
“Shh,” He hushed me, pecking me on the lips. “Don’t cry, and calm down. You’re going to make yourself sick.”
“How---” I couldn’t even get the words out. I wanted to ask him how was so calm through all of this.
He leaned down like he was going to kiss me, taking his time.
“Between me and you, you’re not going to go anywhere, okay?” He whispered in my ear.
Before I could even ask what he meant by that, he covered my lips with his.
“Just keep quiet,” He said quietly, before he was grabbed by the man to leave me alone again.


And that’s the last words Alex said to me. I sat in the back of the bus transferring me and the other woman inmates to a prison in Texas. I’d never been so scared in my life. I was here for something I really wasn’t involved in, only God knew what the rest of these people were going to prison for.
Everyone automatically eyed me up and down, like I didn’t belong here, which I didn’t. I could barely defend myself against people like them and it scared the hell out of me. I didn’t talk to anyone for however hours long had passed already. I didn’t know where we were. It was a rural area with a ton of cornfields with one straight road.
I sat back in my seat. I tried not to think about anything involving Alex. The last thing I wanted was a bunch of female inmates to see me cry and rule me as some sort of stuck up bitch or something. I would surely get my ass kicked.
Another half hour maybe passed before I noticed everyone looking out the windows curiously. I ended up wondering what was so interesting too, and looked out the windows. Three or four black cars followed the bus right on its tail, ducking underneath the bus, and slowing down right in front of us.
Everyone all muttered some sort of what the fuck at the same time. My first thought was a group was traveling together, or they just wanted to mess with some prison inmates for fun. I knew the familiar sound of the pops a tire makes when it’s blown out and goes flat. That scared me even more.
In a second everything went silent as I felt the bus slowly tipping over and grabbed onto the nearest pole I could to stop from sliding. Yeah, I was going to die before I got to prison. I silently said a prayer while everyone else yelled and screamed.
The glass of the windows was heard shattering one by one. As if my day couldn’t get any worse the fucking bus crashes. Other more male voices were heard from outside and I knew I was dead then. What could you want from a prison bus?
I felt arms around my waist before I was grabbed and lifted up off the floor. I screamed and thrashed in the arms of whoever was holding me from behind. I repeatedly told the person to let me go until they clamped their hand over my mouth and dragged me from the back door of the bus. This was the last thing I wanted. I still screamed as loud as I could.
“Kari,” The voice said from behind me, holding me to still to keep me from fighting. My legs instantly felt like they were going to give out. “It’s only me.”
I couldn’t decide whether to scream or cry or hyperventilate. I spun around, coming face to face with Alex. I’d only seen him a few hours ago and he already looked different. Instead of the baggy orange jumpsuit he wore, now he was wearing his typical outfit; a t-shirt, skinny jeans, and black converse sneakers. It was really him. I felt my eyes stinging with tears for the hundredth time.
“What-how-you--” I couldn’t form the words. I wanted to ask so many questions. He had a lot of explaining to do.
“I can’t even explain right now, we just have to get out of here,” He said quickly. “Everything’s already taken care of.”
He led me to one of the black cars pulled on the side of the road and opened the door for me to get in the back seat. I was surprised to see who was in the driver’s seat. I wondered who else was in the other cars.
“Matt!” I exclaimed.
Matt turned around, giving me a grin. “Hey there, Karina.”
“Give me your hands,” Alex said, sitting beside me.
I held my cuffed wrists to him. It took him less than a minute to work a pin and pick the lock of the handcuffs. He tossed the handcuffs to the floor while I rubbed my sore wrists.
“Did you get hurt?” Alex asked, worried. “I told them it wasn’t a good fucking idea and if something happened to you- I didn’t want anything to happen.”
“I’m fine, really,” I said. I checked my face in the mirror up front and wiped my tears with the back of my hand. “Not a scratch.”
“Looks like everyone is ready to go,” Matt said as he began to drive. “That’s our last bus.”
“Uh, so what happens to the other… er, inmates?” I asked.
“They’re free for the time being,” Alex shrugged. “They won’t get far before they’re all round up and caught again.”
“And us?” I asked hopeful.
“Fugitives,” Alex chuckled.
“You guys have a lot to explain, seriously,” I said, leaning into him as he wrapped his arms around me.
“I will later, I promise,” Alex said, kissing me. “I said I’d do anything for you, and I did and I will. I told you, you weren’t going anywhere. I love you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Next chapter's the last one!