Status: Complete.

Resistance Is Useless

Alex

The next day I went to the coffee shop Karina seemed to visit every day. I took a seat in the back so I could see people entering.

A little after eight Karina came in. She looked beautiful, even though she was wearing a simple pair of jeans and t-shirt. She ordered a coffee and I could her parts of the conversation she was having with the woman behind the counter.

“Wearing jeans, honey? You have the day off?” The woman asked. “Not really.” Karina laughed bitterly. “What happened?” “I got fired.”

I stopped paying attention after that. She got fired? Was it because of what me and the guys had done? Of course it was. Why else would they fire her. And for the first time ever since we started robbing banks I felt guilty. Guilty for everything I’d done to this girl.

I quickly left before she would see me. I tried to figure out a way to help her out. Maybe I could write her a check, that way she’ll at least have some money.

I looked at her one last time before I headed back home.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next couple of months I followed Karina all around town. As far as I know she didn’t suspect a thing and whenever one of the boys would make a comment about it I told them I was just making sure she wouldn’t be a danger to us.

I’d always kept my distance, but today that was going to change. I went to the coffee shop just like I did every day. I took a seat close to the counter, facing the door, and waited until Karina would come in.

I didn’t have to wait long though. She ordered her usual and dug into her pocket for some money. I quickly stood up and handed the girl behind the counter a ten dollar bill. “I’ll pay for the pretty lady.”

From the corner of my eyes I could Karina’s head snap up and a blush formed on her cheeks. “Keep the change.” I told the girl before turning to Karina.

“T-thank you. You really didn’t have to do that. I mean, I could have just paid for it like I usually do.” She kept rambling and I chuckled, it was kinda cute. “It’s cool. I’m just being a gentleman for someone beautiful, like you.” She blushed deeply and her hands seemed to shake a little.

Karina didn’t say anything, but stared at me. I decided to break the silence. “So, are you heading for somewhere? Or are you just strolling around?” “Just strolling. I have nothing better to do at this time of the morning.” “Well, do I have permission to tag along with you?”

She hesitated for a second, but finally said the word that caused a big smile to form on my face. “Sure.”

We headed out and walked a few blocks, neither one of us really saying something, except the occasional comment about things like the weather.

After a few minutes I was getting tired of the awkward silence. “Hey, you wanna go somewhere with me?” I asked and she froze. “Don’t worry, I was just talking about going to the park.” I chuckled and she nodded.

Once we made it to the park I grabbed her hand and pulled her to the swings. “Sit.” I said and she did what I asked. I started pushing her and once she was high enough I sat down on the swing next to her.

“What’s your name?” She suddenly asked, not stopping or even looking at me. She kept her eyes on the bright blue sky above us. “Alex.” I said simply. “I’m Karina.” I nodded. I already know that, hell, I knew almost everything about her.

“Nice to meet you.” I smiled. I stopped swinging and looked at her. She did the same so we finally could have a conversation. “So Karina, you live here in Baltimore? I haven’t seen you around before.” Damn I’m a good actor, I should get an Oscar for this act. “And believe me I would remember a girl as pretty as you.” I winked.

She blushed again. “Yeah, I do. I just don’t go out that much. I have a really busy job and…..” She suddenly got quiet. “I mean had… I had a busy job.” I could see a small tear roll down her cheek.

“Hey, it’s okay. What happened?” Guilt washed over me again. “I worked at the Provident Bank….” She mumbled. “Oh god! You mean…” I fake gasped. “Yeah… There were four of them and they had guns. They forced me to open the vault and I did. I was so scared.” I sob escaped her lips. “T-They took me and….. and….”

She was full out crying now. I wrapped my arms around her. “Hey, hey, don’t cry, it’s going to be okay. They are not going to hurt you again.” I tried to comfort her. “They know who I am! They know where I live!” She cried. “How can you be sure?” I cupped her face in my hands, forcing her to look at me. “It’s been so long, if they wanted to hurt you I’m sure they would have tried something already and I don’t think these guys are stupid. From what I hear even the FBI is looking for them, I don’t think they are going to hurt you.”

Karina calmed down a little. “I’m sorry.” She whispered. “I don’t even know you and I’m dumping all my problems on you. You must think I’m crazy.” She looked a little embarrassed.

“That’s okay. You’ve been through a lot. Maybe you just needed someone to talk to. I twirled one of her dark locks around my finger. Her eyes bore into mine and that same urge I’d had when I first same her came over me. I wanted to kiss her so badly, but I was, again, afraid to scare her away.

Despite all that I leaned a little close, our lips only an inch apart. I was surprise she hadn’t pushed me away already. I gently stroke her cheek. “Want me to walk you home?” I asked and with that the moment was gone.

Karina snapped out of her daze and nodded. “Yeah sure.” She looked a little disappointed. Was that because I hadn’t kissed her? Did she want me to kiss her? “So where do you live?” She have me the address and I already know it was only two blocks away.

“Hmm. Mind taking the long route?” I suggested. “So we can get to know each other a little better?” Karina shrugged. “Sure.” I smirked. “Twenty questions. I’ll start.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An hour later we finally arrived at Karina’s house. “Thanks for walking me home. I have to say, this wasn’t how I expected my day to go when I went out for a coffee this morning.” She chuckled.

“I did.” I said. Karina laughed. “So you’re just a stalker finally making the first real contact.” She joked. I laughed, but she had no idea how close that was to the truth. “Of course, I’ve been following you for months.” I said truthfully, making it sound like I was playing along.
She giggled. “You’re so weird.” “Is that a good thing or a bad thing?” She looked at me thoughtfully. “I’ll get back to you on that. But anyways, thanks for today, I really need that.”

We said our goodbyes and she was about to go inside when I stopped her. “Karina! Wait.” She turned around, looking a little surprised. “Yes Alex?” “You wanna go out with me? Like a date?” I asked hopefully.

She bit her lip and answered. “Yeah, I’d love to.” I smiled widely at her. “Sweet! I’ll pick you up tomorrow, seven o’clock.” And with that I turned around and left.
♠ ♠ ♠
Bit of a filler, sorry, but at least they met. Any prediction as for what's gonna happen now?
Let us know what you think <3

Love, Felicia

P.S: I just started a new story, if anyone is interested,click here.