Status: Complete.

Resistance Is Useless

Karina

Oh God. What was I going to wear?! I hadn’t been on an actual date in almost a year. A lot has changed in a year. I ran around my room in my towel, practically tearing my closet apart. Alex said I didn’t have to be too dressed up, just a little semi-formal.

Alex. I smiled at the thought of his name. He was a really sweet guy, and was even nice enough to walk me home yesterday. There was something about him that made me curious, too. In all honesty, I was ecstatic when he asked me to go on a date with him.
The date. I mentally kicked myself for getting distracted and went back to my closet. I had piles and piles of clothes on my bed. What was semi-formal to Alex? Jeans and heels? A tank top and skirt? The closer it got to seven o’clock, the more nervous I got.

I sighed and decided on something floral and summery. I changed into a plain white shirt with a black floral skirt and black tights. I looked in the mirror and frowned at how it looked. It needed something to add more of my style. I looked around again and picked up a gray leather jacket with a few studs on the shoulder. I looked in the mirror again and shrugged. It was the best I could come up with, but it was still cute.

I looked at the clock and saw it was already 6:30. I quickly went to the bathroom to check my makeup again and ran my hands through my freshly straightened hair. I packed my stuff in my purse and slipped my black ankle boots on. With nothing else to do, I sat on my bed and waited. What if he didn’t like my outfit? What if I was too casual? What if I was too formal?
I fidgeted and jumped when the doorbell rung. My heels clicked across the living room floor. “I’m coming! Give me a sec!” I ran back to my room and grabbed my purse, looking in the mirror one last time.

My stomach did flips as soon as I opened the door and saw Alex standing there. “Hi.”
“Hey,” He said, looking me up and down. “You look… stunning.”
“Thanks,” I blushed. “You don’t look too bad either.” He was somewhat casual, too, wearing a button down with a navy blue blazer on top, skinny jeans, and gray converse.
“Well, shall we go now?” He asked, holding out his hand.
“Let’s go,” I smiled at him, taking his hand and walking down the hall to the elevator.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
The restaurant Alex took me to was beyond nice. I could never even afford to take myself there. In a way I felt bad for allowing him to spend his money on me. Nonetheless he didn’t mind and I enjoyed being out with him.

I got so caught up in our conversation I didn’t realize what time it was. “Hey, um, what time is it?”
“Almost nine,” Alex answered after glancing at his watch. “Why?”
“I was expecting a phone call,” I said, looking through my purse for my phone. I found it and put it on the table to the side, after making sure I didn’t have any missed calls.
“From another guy?” Alex asked, frowning.
“Sorta,” I said and then realized how it must’ve sounded. “I mean yeah, but it’s not like that. I’m not that type of girl.”
“I didn’t think you would be,” He said.
Before I could respond my phone vibrated on the table loudly. I groaned, “And that’s it. I’m so sorry.” I put my phone to my ear.
“Karina,” Joe said on the other line. “I called your place three times and you never answered. I was about to go over there.”
“I’m sorry, I’m out to dinner with someone right now so I have to go,” I explained.
“I’m going to assume you’re all good and safe, but still be careful,” He said.
“I will, and thanks. You can call me later or in the morning, I guess.”
“Will do, Karina,” He said, hanging up.
I put my phone back in my bag and rolled my eyes. “Fucking Feds.”
Alex sat up straighter and raised an eyebrow. “Feds?”

“Yeah,” I shrugged nonchalantly. “They check up on me every day. Make sure I’m okay, ask about things, shit like that. And I missed the call so they were about to go look for me.”
“Oh, so… like, what’s up? Do they have any ideas on who it is?” He asked.
“Not really, these guys are pretty clean with their stuff,” I said.
“That’s… not good,” He said. “So you’re working with them? You and the feds are all buddy-buddy now?”
“Eh… I don’t know. I wouldn’t say we’re ‘friends’,” I hesitated. “I… I lied to them.”
“You lied to them? About what?” He asked.
“They asked if I saw anything like tattoos and stuff, but I said no,” I looked down at the table and then to all the other people eating and talking at their tables. “There was one… with like, a skull and crossbones tattoo on his neck.” I looked back at Alex who was smoothing down his dark brown hair. “I don’t know what to do.”
“Well, why didn’t you tell them?” He asked.
“Because… because I want them to get caught but I’m too afraid to actually say something,” I admitted.

“Then don’t.” He shrugged. “Even if you don’t tell the feds what you saw, I can assure you they will catch them… and they’ll be in jail for a long, long time.”
“How long is long?” It was my turn to ask questions.
“Well, I don’t know. It depends on what the judge wants to charge them with. It could have been their first bank robbery, or their fifth. They might get two charges for weapons, charged for assault, charged for theft over 200 grand, and criminal conspiracy. So altogether, they’re looking at 25 years to life.”
“Wow,” I bit my lip. “You’re like an expert on this.” I laughed.
“I, um, I watch a lot of tv,” He said. “Law & Order, CSI, you know, shows like that.”
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I never actually got home until around midnight after dinner. Like yesterday, we took the long way home and then walked around downtown for a bit. We stopped in front of my apartment door and I looked at him.
“Thank you…for everything,” I said truthfully. “You’re absolutely one of the sweetest guys I’ve ever met.”
“Thanks, I’m glad you liked it,” He said.
“I loved it,” I corrected him. Since I was wearing heels I was almost as tall as he was and leaned forward, kissing his cheek. “Maybe we can do this again sometime.”
He smirked, “I’m sure we can. Goodnight, Karina.”
“Night, Alex,” I smiled.
♠ ♠ ♠
Two updates in one day! I hope you guys like it! <3

Her outfit for the date.