Irreversible

Coral

The ride back to the Maple's house was awkard to say the least. Since Sylvia and I had come in a different car than Edmund it was silent other than the tape of the Bible recording she had that was playing.
The woman was insanely religious.
As we drove closer and closer to the house, it was only a ten to fifteen minute drive, I felt the jealousy and annoyance rolling off of her and pointedly towards me.
"Miss Plath," Mrs. Maple finally broke the tension with a scratchy voice, then cleared it as we turned onto her street. "Coral, what you did was incredibly rude. I'd expect better from a young lady such as yourself even if you grew up in a very... non-traditional household."
I frowned into my lap as she contiuned.
"Never the less, you had no right to speak to Mr. Plath nor myself like that. And to ask dear Eddy for the trouble of going to the hospital more than once a week when you are only twelve."
My head jerked up, "Do you know anything about me? I'm sixteen and a half meaning I'm legal to drive and have my own license; my younger sister is lying in a hospital bed in a coma because of her fuckin' father," she gasped at my language. "My family wasn't traditional because my Dad died when I was two, he didn't leave my Mom and me. He died in a plane crash. My Mom remarried because she needed someone to help provide for me, and she loved both her husbands very much. And I'm sorry if you feel I was rude, I was simply in need of more time with my sister because she's the only damned family I have left. So yeah, I'm sorry for your trouble." I snared at her as we pulled into the driveway.
Getting out of the car after it was parked, "As much as I hate the bitch that you are, I would never wish for you to lose your family because of someone you thought you could trust and then only be left with a sister who will most likely never wake up."
I slammed the door shut after me and stalked into the house.

I hadn't accepted that Olive would never wake up, or at least I thought I had. But after I said it aloud to a woman I shouldn't have to say a damned word to about my life, I immediately wanted to cry.
Olive was going to wake up.
For fuck's sake my sister was only ten years old! She had a whole life ahead of her even if our Mom did not. When she woke up, I'd take her out for ice cream and treat her like a princess. And I would never let that bastard, Elliot, near little Liv again.
But what if she didn't wake up?
I'd be an adult in a year and a half; when I was I could take care of her. I wouldn't go to college, that would be Liv who did. There was still my inheritance from my Mom and Dad so I could use that until I got a job to pay the bills and for our apartment.
There was a chance, a very big chance, that even if Olive did wake up she would be mentally damaged. She was already a vegetable from the gun wound to her head. Maybe in a way it would be better for her if she never woke up again. Could I really afford to keep her on life support though for the rest of our lives?
No, I couldn't. Mom and I couldn't wait for Olive to get older. She was going to be this gorgeous girl who had parents who adored her, a sister who did everything for her, and a girlfriend or boyfriend that would love her.
Now that dream was ruined.

The next morning was Wednesday and I had school. It wasn't the same one that I had attended my whole life, no. I still lived in Santa Monica but I was going to a different school system where hopefully no one would know what had happened.
I at least had no intention of telling a soul.
When I walked into the school with Edmund, he'd taken me because Sylvia had ratted me out about my 'potty mouth', I was shaking.
The school was pretty nice, ritzy place but thankfully uniforms weren't incorporated. Students milled about talking with each other and laughing.
I tenderly pulled on my book bag, and bit my lip as Edmund and I walked into the office.
A secretary looked up as she chewed her gum, "May I help you?" She had an obvious Southern drawl, most likely from Georgia, and she chewed that disgusting gum with her mouth open.
"Yes, as a matter of fact. We have a meeting with Principal Grant this morning," Edmund cleared his throat.
"Really?" She chewed her gum even louder if that was possible. "Let me check." She flipped through her leather bound book. "Mr. Edmund Maple with Miss Coral Plath?"
He nodded.
"One moment," She pressed down on the button. "Principal Grant, Mr. Maple is here with Miss Plath."
"Send them in," A voice said over the buzzer.
"Yuo can go in now." She snapped her gum loudly and I clenched my teeth in annoyance as Mr. Maple and I went to the Principal's office.

"Now as I understand it Mr. Maple," Principal Grant was an older man easily in his fifties who had already been long bald. He had an obvious stomach but I suppose he thought he didn't because he was in rather right clothing that no older man in authority should ever wear. "Miss Maple is your newest foster child. Am I correct?"
"Yes sir, she's the newest addition to the Maple family."
Principal Gary Grant leaned back and examined me before handing me my Student ID. It showed no picture but it contained my name, birthday, age, and height. "Here you are Miss Plath," he said before turning to Edmund. "Ed you know the rules and I expect that you'll tell them to her."
I watched as Mr. Maple nodded.
"We've always been accepting of foster students here at Milton High but you know that if she, or any of your 'children', breaks the rules she is out." He grinned and I wanted to punch him right in the mouth.
It was so obvious that the only reason Milton High was willing to take students like myself in was because they would get more money. But to be so rude to a foster parent who was willing to take children who had nothing left in, even if his wife was a crazy bitch, about students like myself was unacceptable.
From my first few moments at Milton is was apparent I would not be welcomed here by staff or student for just being a foster child for something I hadn't even done.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is Coral's first taste of what it's like to be a foster student and not be accepted for it, even though she had nothing to do with being put into the system.
Prejuidice against foster children is serious. None of them are there because of their own accounts. They want stability, and a family who loves them. Why don't we try to give it to them?
This chapter is dedicated specifically to Mrs. Donna Pinnow who passed away March 27, 2010. An amazing woman who was a foster mother, you will not be forgotten.
Comment please. -
Rachael

Coral's outfit for Milton High School.