Status: Slowly active

About a Girl

5. I'm Just A Girl

------
“Angela.”

Angela turned away from her friend Alice as she walked down the hall to the locker rooms, “Yes William?”

William smiled and tried to be laid back, “Where is a good place to go for lunch?”

She looked around suspiciously, “Why? Are you planning on going somewhere? You know it’s against the rules to leave campus unless you’re being escorted by a teacher or relative.”

He shrugged, “You’re too strict. It’s alright to break a rule here and there. Besides, y-y-you could show me around town.”

She shook her head and tried to walk forward, “No William. I can’t. If I got caught my mother would be upset and Gabe would make sure I’m grounded for an eternity.”

“W-w-w-we won’t get caught.” He gripped onto her arm, “Please? Just once.”

He was trying to be nice and she figured he was trying to be polite after giving her attitude. She knew if she got caught Gabe would throw a fit. He always told her to follow the rules no matter what. Rules were what kept you safe and got you places because you didn’t go messing around. She could hear his voice in her head condemning the idea.

But William believed it was alright to be a little adventurous and there was nothing wrong with that, “Angela please?”

Alice groaned from down the hall, “Angela come on, we’re going to be late!”

“I–Uh.,” She looked back at Alice, “Go head without me. I’ll be there in a second.”

Alice nodded and kept walking and William let go of her arm, “So that is a no?”

She shook her head, “It’s a yes. Let’s go.”

She led him down an empty hall as the bell rang above them. She knew no one really came down here because it was just a long way around the school and no one really wanted to take the long way unless they wanted a handful of detentions. He smirked and followed her
even though he knew she was paranoid to be out of class.

He figured she needed to break a couple rules to not be so up tight. She needed to be open and willing to take a chance on the odds. He didn’t mind breaking rules. He’d had a handful by the time he left his old school. The staff there was practically happy he was leaving.

She opened a door to go out the back of the school and he followed her, “So what are you so upset about this Gabe guy? Is he your boyfriend or something?”

“Uh. No. He’s not my boyfriend but–”

She let her words drag off. She didn’t know what her relationship was with Gabe. Some days would have been like they were together. He had kissed her many times and she kissed him quite a bit. There had been nights Gabe slept over and stayed with her. She remembered all the times she’d wake up in his arms. She loved that feeling but it had been a while.

Gabe had been rather distant for a while. That was one of the reasons she was taking this whole date tonight as such a surprise. Gabe hadn’t really been wanted to spend time with her lately or that’s what she thought. But he’d been tired for work so that might have been the cause of him wanted to go home and sleep.

She was so confused on what her feelings were for Gabe let a lone his feelings. She couldn’t really decipher them. But she loved him. She knew that. She’d been on dates with other boys before. It just wasn’t the same when she was with them. She’d want Gabe by the end of the night.

Angela looked behind her and William had stopped, “Miss Adams?”

“Oh. Hello Miss Garcia. How are you?”

The older mathematics teacher looked at them puzzled, “I am fine. Where are you two going?”

William smiled, “She is. Uh. Showing me around the school. I-I-I’m new and they asked her to show me around real quick.”

The teacher nodded and half believed the story, “Alright. Quickly Miss Adams. You do have class.”

“Yes ma’am.”

Angela grabbed onto William’s arm and dragged him around the building corner and down the street to get off campus as fast as she could. She didn’t want to run into any other teachers right now. She figured she’d be better off out here then in there.

She let go of William’s arm and he smiled at her, “You know, you’re a good liar when you want to be.”

She looked at him with a serious look, “Be quiet.”

William laughed slightly, “Alright. I thought your last name was Anderson not Adams?”

She looked down at the path they were on as they walked towards downtown, “Both of them are. One is my father’s and one is my mother’s last name.”

“I see. Do you pick which one or?”

“Adams is my last name but my mother has been calling us both Anderson lately. Well, to people.”

William nodded and unrolled his sleeve to get his pack of cigarettes out. He soon rolled the sleeve up and pulled out a little pack of matches he had. He lit up and blew out the match and let it fall to the ground. Angela looked at the discarded match and kept walking. He let out a ring of smoke and she could tell there were different from Gabe’s cigarettes.

He offered her one but she quickly declined. Her threat from her mom was still in present in her mind. She was fine with the way she was. He didn’t mind her decline either. Saved him
a cigarette for later.

“What is Chicago like?”

He shrugged, “Windy.”

“Do you miss it?”

He nodded and exhaled another ring of smoke, “Very much. I miss mostly the people.”
She nodded. He was being reasonable. He did give up his friends and was practically dragged here. Though, he was going to embrace it to an extent. His father said he’d help pay for a new car for William if he at least pretended to love it here and help get the store to flourish.

“Uh William?”

He looked over at her, “Yes?”

“I don’t have any money on me.”

He snorted, “I wasn’t planning on you paying.”

She tried not to come off offensive, “What do you mean by that?”

He turned to her and waved his hands pointed at his head and body, “Can you not see I am a man? It’s not fair if I make you pay for us or yourself. I may be a prick here and there but I am a gentleman.”

She smiled, “You look like a boy to me.”

He shook his head and continue to walk even if he didn’t know where he was going, “I’m old enough to go to war; I am a man. Where are we going?

She caught up with him, “Well, I know a few places. If Nate isn’t at the shop with Gabe he’ll be working at the one just down the street. He is a wonderful cook.”

He mumbled with his cigarette in his mouth, “We’ll go there then. I’m not too in the mood for walking. I fucking hate walking. I want my car back.”

“You had a car? What kind?”

“Nineteen fifty three Dodge Coronet. It was a convertible. Still looked new. I had to sell it.”

“Right. With a soft top?”

He raised an eyebrow at her, “You know cars?”

“Gabe is the only mechanic for miles and my dad used to own the place. So yes, I do know cars.”

When they crossed the street they continued the little car talk. William was impressed with what she knew. Angela was too. She never really knew that all that information was still in there. Gabe would be impressed too.

Once they reached the restaurant he opened the door for her and she slipped inside. She didn’t want to be here too much because of anyone working now was probably going to be working when Gabe was supposed to take her tonight. She didn’t want him to find out. She mentally crossed her fingers as William followed her in.

She grabbed his arm again and led him into a corner with somewhat in the dark away from the regulars here for lunch. She could see the chief of police sitting at the bar with his lunch and could look at her at any moment and he knew her well. He was a friend to her mom and she couldn’t be seen here by him.

As she led William she could see one of the waitresses look at her. It was Victoria. She looked like her jaw was going to fall off. She motioned that she would be right there and Angela felt her heart sink. Victoria was one of her best friends and one of Gabe’s. This wasn’t going to be good.

She slumped into the seat so she could see the door just in case Gabe or her mom came for a lunch. It was possible and she wanted to play on the safe side. William sat across from her and looked around.

“Are you alright Angela?”

She scooted to be hidden by William, “Yeah. Family friend is here so I’m kind of nervous.”

He almost laughed at her, “Are you seriously afraid of getting in trouble?”

“You don’t know Gabe.”

Victoria had made her way over with menus and she looked down at Angela, “What are you doing here? Don’t you have school?”

William spoke up, “I-I-It’s my fault. I dragged her out.”

She looked over at him, “And you are?”

“William. William Beckett. I’m new to town and she was being nice enough to show me around.”

Nate came out from the kitchen doors just en feet away from their booth, “Angie? I have seen you in forever!”

Victoria smiled and looked over her shoulder to Nate, “She’s here with William. He’s new to town. I don’t think he’s met Gabe yet.”

Angela felt even more pathetic in front of them. She knew she was going to get in trouble. They would tell Gabe. She could beg them not too and could probably convince them but it was going to be hard.

Nate shrugged and came closer, “What do you want Angie? The usual?”

She nodded quickly, “May I get a coke Victoria?”

“Of course.”

Victoria wrote down what was normal for Angela and looked over at William. William who was still looking around at the two who clearly knew Angela but Angela was avoiding at all cost. Now his mind honestly started to believe she was scared of pissing this Gabe guy off. He didn’t even know why. Clearly the guy wasn’t family or her boyfriend so he didn’t really see why she was panicking.

William told Victoria what he wanted and Victoria ripped off the ticket and handed it Nate. He took it and leaned closer to Angela and asked how she was doing. Not really noticing she was supposed to be in school at this time.

“That’s great hun. How’s Gabe. I haven’t seen him in a while?”

“Good. The shop is doing really well, though he’s kinda busy today.”

“I’ll have to stop by.” She nodded and he backed away, “I’ll get this ready for you two alright?”

Victoria looked down at her at spoke softly, “Girl, be a sweet and get your drinks. I have a couple I need to go sit down.”

Angela nodded and got up. It wasn’t uncommon for her to get her own drinks. She always did for her and Gabe. She practically worked here part time all the time so everyone knew her. She’d even help out if she wasn’t on shift and needed help.

She got her drinks as quick as possible and avoided the people at the bar as much as she could. She didn’t want to be cold shoulder but she was just so afraid. She wasn’t going to do this again. She couldn’t.

Victoria caught her before she had stated walking back to the booth, “Who is he? Really?”

“He’s just new and I’m showing him around town.”

“Angela, come on now. I’ve never seen you with a guy unless it’s Gabe or someone in our group.”

She placed the cups down on the bar and sighed, “I just wanted to be nice.”

“So you cut school? What did Gabe say? Does he even know?”

She looked away from Victoria, “He doesn’t know.”

“He doesn’t know?” She shook her head and her dark hair shook with her, “Oh honey. Go sit down and get out of here after your food comes. I don’t want this to get out of hand.”

She grabbed the drinks once more, “I promise we’ll go back to school after this. Please don’t tell Gabe.”

Victoria sighed, “I won’t.”
x-x-x-x-x-x
♠ ♠ ♠
Ah! Thank you so much for the feedback you guys! Thanks for reading. Please comment and subscribe. I would love it if you did. XD Like always.

Note: New Bilvy pic on the right. I just had to add it. I stare at it when I need ideas. XD

Also, I did say I have a playlist for this story. High up the list the more they affect the story. If you wanted some hints to the story or more about how I got the idea.:
Just a Girl – No Doubt
Nice Guys Finish Last – Cobra Starship
We've Got a Big Mess on Our Hands – The Acadmy Is…
About a Girl – The Academy Is…
You Might Have Noticed – The Academy Is…
Pete Wentz Is the Only Reason We're Famous – Cobra Starship
The Ballad Of Big Poppa And Diamond Girl – Cobra Starship
Angie – Cobra Starship
You're Not in on the Joke – Cobra Starship
It's Amateur Night At The Appollo Creed – Cobra Starship
The City Is At War – Cobra Starship
My Moves Are White – Cobra Starship
Wonderwall – Oasis
Skeptics and True Believers – The Academy Is…
Pleasure Ryland – Cobra Starship
Beware! Cougar! – The Academy Is…
I'm Yours Tonight – The Academy Is…