Status: Slowly active

About a Girl

9. Nice Guy, Wrong Attitude

----------

When Angela woke she felt a tad awkward. Something wasn’t right. She could smell Gabe all around her. She soon found it was more then the smell of Gabe around her. He was holding around the waist with his arm almost digging into her. But she couldn’t help but watch him sleep next to her. He looked so peaceful and for once, rested even.

Angela wiggled a hand free to brush Gabe’s hair out of his face and he twitched slightly but didn’t wake. She decided to leave him alone and not move. It was a Saturday and he looked like he could use a few more hours.

Though, fear struck her. Gabe needed to be at the shop. She had hoped that possible Ryland or Alex could open up and wait for Gabe. The boys would crack a few jokes towards Gabe for staying at her house, he’d probably throw something at them, and the three would laugh it off and go back to work.

She was glad that the shop kept Gabe happy but she never knew how it could keep him so content. He worked on cars day in and day out. She remembered the time she asked him if he ever got bored with his work and he answered with a no. She didn’t believe him for the most part but seeing him coated in car fluids she knew he had to have enjoyed it enough.

Gabe slowly opened his eyes and looked into Angela’s peering ones, “Morning.”

She smiled, “You didn’t go home?”

Gabe yawned before pulling her closer to him, “No. You were out cold and I didn’t want to drive.”

“Does mama know you’re here?”

He beamed as he removed his hold of her to rub the sleep from his eyes, “Well, she doesn’t know I’m in here but she knows I’m here.”

“Don’t you have to open the shop soon?”

He nodded with a sigh, “I need to go soon but I don’t want to.”

“Why not?”

“You’re so naive.” Leaning forward to kiss her forehead as he continued, “I want to spend my day with you. I never get a break.”

She smiled weakly, "You don't have to go."

Gabe pecked her lips, "Yes I do. Come down to the shop? I could use your help."

She sat up thinking about it. She'd be able to spend the day with Gabe but it might involve getting dirty. She didn't mind that idea. She had clothes that were fine for times like so though it meant she'd be there all day. It can get pretty damn hot there.

"I'd love to."

Her answer seemed to brighten his mood, "Good. Get ready. I'll be back soon."

As he climbed off her bed she sung her legs off to the side, "Where are you going?"

"Home real quick. I need to change." He came over and kissed her cheek, "I love you."

Gabe didn't even give her a chance to respond. He was out of the room and down the stairs as if the house was on fire. She wasn't sure she could have responded. Her mouth had felt like it left its hinges and fell towards the floor.

Sure, Gabe had told her he loved her plenty of times but with how serious he was this time made it beyond believable.

But she had told herself she was going to try to go for someone else?

She sighed before standing on her tired legs. She was going to have to honestly sit and think about what was going on. Lay out all her options. If she thought any harder about it now her heart was going to fall right out of her chest.

She took a quick shower and dressed in her dark capris and a light shirt that was old. She figured if she was to get her hands on the cars she'd need something that could get destroyed. She hadn't worked on cars in a while but she was sure she could pick it all up again. It wasn't that hard to figure out.

When Gabe returned Angela had found out her mom was already at work and wouldn't be home till later in the night. Angela knew then she’d be working with Gabe all day. Gabe always kept her out as long as he could.

Before the two left Gabe insisted she take any homework just in case it was quiet in the shop. Angela didn’t quite like that idea of lugging her school work but did so to keep Gabe in a happy mood.

“We’re going to run by that corner store real quick and then we’ll go to the shop alright?”

Angela nodded with her yawn showing she wasn’t even ready to be up. Her body felt tired and she rested her head on Gabe’s shoulder as he drove. Gabe made a remark how cute she was being but simply ignored him.

Gabe leaned to turn on the radio to let some music help wake her up. Gabe didn’t mind the music till a musician came on that he didn’t quite enjoy. Angela laughed when she heard one of the young Elvis’s songs came on. Gabe hated his man more then the rich side of town.

Gabe quickly changed the station, “He’s horrible. I can’t see how you can listen to him.”

“I don’t like his voice but his songs are great.”

“I sing better then he does.” Gabe smirked at her, “Besides, I can move my hips better.”

She loved to tease him, “Sure.”

Gabe’s grin seemed to grow even bigger and a tad lopsided, “Oh screw you. You know it’s true.”

By the time they made it to the store Gabe had insisted he show Angela his dance moves claiming he could out shine anyone. She had stayed with her fit of giggles and told him only if he really wanted to. She knew he could move but teasing him was more fun for her then simply agreeing.

Gabe got out of the car with her soon following on his tail as he entered the store, “Find something to nibble on and I’ll meet you here in five.”

Gabe wondered off and Angela slowly and leisurely took her time going down the isles. It was a rather small store but it held a lot more then it probably could. Some of the shelves looked as if ready to fall to the floor in pieces from the weight of all the items.

“Hey Angela.”

She turned her head to see William standing at the end half turned towards her, “Oh hello. How are you?”

William smiled slightly before slowly walking towards her, “I’m alright, still adjusting. Actually more like getting lost.”

She nodded, “I’m sure it’s confusing. You’ll get it eventually. We don’t have much of a town.”

“I know w-w-we just met and Gabe told me to back off but I wa-was wondering if you could show me around town?”

“Oh, not that I don’t want to be around you, but I have plans already. I’m really sorry or I’d love to.”

William shrugged, “It’s alright. I thought I would just ask to see.”

“Angela?”

She could hear Gabe behind her maybe an isle away, “I have to go. I’m sorry. I’ll see you Monday?”

She started walking backwards and William nodded, “Sure. Have fun.”

She gave one last remark of a goodbye and met Gabe back where they had said empty handed. Gabe looked down at her hands before shrugging it off. He was up at the counter already paying what he bought. He had a rather large pile giving the impression some was for Alex and Ryland.

“Are you sure you don’t want anything?”

Angela shrugged, “I don’t know what I want.”

Gabe nodded and handed her a cold coke, “Here, this will wake you up.”

She took the cold bottle and took the lid off. She turned slightly to see William behind them and he smiled staying quiet. She looked back at Gabe while closing the bottle after her gulp of the cold drink. He hadn’t seen William yet so that was a good thing. She was still afraid to see if Gabe was still angry.

“So I’ll come down later and check your truck alright?”

The shop owner waved Gabe off, “When ever you’re ready. The damn thing stopped running and I can’t make my deliveries. Granted, I don’t mind but the ones that need shit complain. Thanks Gabriel. I appreciate it.”

Gabe shook the owner’s hand, “You know me, anything for business.”

“You have a good day now and don’t let this one get lost.”

Angela gave him a weird look as he pointed to her. He had no idea what this man was taking about but brushed it off. He came off as creepy and was going to stay that way. She followed Gabe out as soon as Gabe grabbed the thin bags of merchandise he bought.

“Seventy cents for a pound for ham! That is outrageous. He’s had it for thirty five cents a pound for ages.”

“That’s not that bad.” Angela climbed into the car, “Oh, you got Oreos.”

“Those went up too. I paid thirty three cents for that package.”

She opened the package and stole one out to eat it, “The package seems a little bigger.”

“Not really.” Gabe turned the radio station knob and landed on one talking about the week of baseball.

Gabe was one of the reasons she loved baseball so much. Her father was into it and dragged Gabe with Angela into it. She had always been a Yankees fan and Gabe seemed to like them too. The two spent hours listening to game on the radio and cheering. It was something they always did together. She almost missed it. The two hadn’t done such a thing in a couple of years.

“Oh, I left my jacket at your place. I’ll have to grab it tonight.”

Angela nodded before leaning her head against the window of Gabe’s car, “Alright.”

Gabe reached over grabbing her hand gently, “What’s wrong?”

She looked over at him, “I was thinking about things we used to do.”

“I’m sorry I’ve been so busy. I feel I never see you anymore. But I’ll change that. I might close the shop on Mondays.”

“But don’t you need the service?”

“Not really.” Gabe turned a street leading the long road towards the shop, “I could use more then one day off I think. Besides, I miss coming over and seeing you.”

By the time the two had reached the shop the doors were open and you could already hear someone work with car and the radio blasting music. Gabe was at an advantage of being on the edge of town; no one could complain his music was too loud.

Angela got out with the bags and her bag of school work and followed Gabe in. Sure enough Ryland was bent into a car working and Alex was rummaging though a pile of boxes. It looked like a shipment of parts came through and he was trying to organize them.

“Morning.”

Ryland pulled out of the car and sent a glare towards Gabe, “About time you got here.”

“I ran into some trouble. Besides, you’ve opened for me before. I got food.”

Ryland wiped his hands off of the cloth he had near the hood of the car, “What did you get?”

‘I got some shit to make sandwiches, apples and a few sweet treats. I got a few cokes in case the machine runs out again.”

Ryland did a double take as he came over to Gabe and Angela, “What are you doing here?”

Her voice was quiet, she didn’t like Ryland’s tone, “I came to help.”

Ryland snorted and took the bags with the food from her and headed over to where Gabe had a small kitchen. She rolled her eyes and watched Alex brush past her. She wondered if she had done something wrong with their attitude.

“Ignore them, they get pissy when they have to open. Come with me.”

Angela followed Gabe back into his office and he pointed to his chair, “Place your stuff there and any time you want a break come work here. It’ll be quieter then out there. I have something for you as well.”

She walked further into his small room and dropped her backpack on his chair as she looked around. She finally took her time looking at the items in the room. She could see receipts in boxes lining a shelf among smaller tools.

She hadn’t even noticed Gabe had left and come back, “Here.”

She turned toward him holding a box. It wasn’t small but it didn’t look like it could hold much. She took it from him and pulled off the lid showing her black leather resting in the box. She pulled out the material letting Gabe take the box back. It took her a second to realize it was a leather jacket like one of Gabe’s.

She turned it around to see the back and sure enough hers had been printed with the ‘Cobra’ text and even the snake on there was similar to Gabe’s, “I was getting a new one for Victoria and I thought I’d get you one since you loved mine so much. I figured I’d give it to you now since you clung to mine last night.”

She tried it on noticing the sleeves were a nice length for her, “Thank you Gabriel.”

Gabe stepped forward in the small office and reached for the open edges of the jacket pulling her closer, “Looks good on you.”

She blushed, “Thank you.”

Gabe release her hold of jacket and pulled her hair our from underneath the jacket’s material letting it fall along her shoulders, “I thought it was time you needed one and when you wear this, remember you wear it with us. We’re all there supporting you through everything and vice versa.”

She felt like she was fitting in just a tad more, “Thank you so much.”

He kissed her forehead, “Anything for you. Now, ready to get your hands dirty?”

She nodded, “Yes. Bring it on.”

--------------
♠ ♠ ♠
I must thank Caravaggio for the amazing comment that was left for me. It really boosted my ego. So I thank you a hundred times over.

Thanks to DiamondGirl827, Erinsays, Live and Love, drivingbackwards, rivals are insane, and the lovely UltraViolett for the votes on the teams. Team Gabe is in the lead. :D Poor Bilvy.

So thanks for reading, please comment and subsrcibe. If you haven't picked a team there is still time. I will tell you I know what team will win in the end but I won't tell you. :)