Status: Active

An Array of Colors

Cobalt

I reached out for my paintbrush after having lined up the three primary colors, white, and black in front of me. I prefer to mix my own paint rather than get some cheap color someone else made. I took my paintbrush and swirled a bit of yellow into the blue to get a blue-green. Then I started painting the crashing ocean adding black in some places to create a darker effect. Then when I had gotten the whirling waters down I moved onto the sky. Mix blue and black and white to create a bluish gray. I started painting gray clouds onto the gray sky. The storm looked as if it could suck you into the paper and swallow you whole. I nodded at my work before making a different shade of gray for the rocks. I added some black and dragged down to make them look more three-dimensional.

"Cobalt! I knew I'd find you here!"

I sighed as Fawn ran up to me and put down my paintbrush. She barreled into me just like I'd known she would and I was glad I'd put down the brush or else my painting would have been ruined and I would've been pissed for the rest of the day.

"Come on! Amber and Iris are waiting for us in the cafeteria!"

I let myself be dragged along by the peppy girl, wishing I was still in my sanctuary called the art room. I hadn't even had time to clean up my supplies. But I should have known the attack would come. It was our first day of junior year after all.

"Cobalt!" two girls screamed and ran at me. They attempted to tackle me, but they were just too petite.

"Hey guys," I said to humor them. I knew if I ignored them they'd bust a vein.

"Yo! Cobalt my man!" my best friend, Fallow, yelled from across the room. I was seriously getting attacked every two seconds.

"Hey Fallow," I replied unenthusiastically.

Don't get me wrong, I love my friends, but it's too early for this and I hate being interrupted before I get to finish a painting. I had been fine listening to my music in the art room while mixing paints. But I guess my friends had already planned that I was going to have a loud, unartistic morning.

I just wanted to retreat.

I watched as my other friend joined the group. His name was Jasper. Unlike the rest of my friends he wasn't screaming every second. He didn't need to bounce around excited about the first day of school. Why anyone would be excited for the first day of school I don't know. It just signifies the start of a new year of torturous work. The only class I like is art. And guess what? Lucky me got it for two whole periods this year! The only exciting thing about the new school year in my opinion. But that shouldn't excite my friends because they could really care less how many art classes I took. I guess they were just crazy and that's why they wanted school to start.

"Sooooo, Cobalt did you find any guys you liked over the summer?" I heard a sly voice ask.

That could only be Iris. She looks so innocent, but trust me when I say she's not.

"No," I scoffed, "Unlike you I wasn't out hunting for guys all summer. I was occupying my time with better things."

"Like what? Painting? I'm sure you could lure some guys in with your sexy artisticness."

I sighed.

This was definitely going to be a long year.