Sequel: Stupid and Fearless
Status: Finished

Resistance Is Useless

Tree House

Carson

"This is what you wanted to show me?" Jack asked, laughing lightly.
"Yes, Jack Attack," I sighed. "What's so weird about a girl showing her boyfriend her safe place as a child?"
"Nothing, Cars." Jack stated, wrapping both lanky arms around my body. "I just didn't think that your safe place would be.... this."
"You hate it, don't you?" I frowned, looking up at the huge tree house Landon and I had when we were kids.
"No... I just...this is really sweet." Jack replied. "How come it's randomly in a home's yard?"
"It's the vacation home," I replied with a small smile. "We used to all live here together as a family, but after dad got elected for President, we just kept the land."
"Why didn't you mom just move in here?"
"She wanted something more than being a President's wife. That's what actually led them to the divorce. She was too much a free spirit, and he was too traditional."
"I guess that's one of those opposites attract type of stories, right?"
"Right," I smiled slightly, nodding. "Are you ready to climb up there?"
"After you, of course,"
I rolled my eyes lightly.
"Of course," I mocked before I started climbing up the make-shift latter. He followed me up slowly until we reached the top.
"This place looks smaller from the ground," He stated.
I smiled at my boyfriend, and he easier returned it.
"This is it. I always used to come up here and stare at the moon at night. It was probably my favorite thing in the world."
"The moon?" He asked.
I nodded, looking up at Jack.
"Yeah.." I nearly whispered. "Landon didn't get it...but....it was my place."
"I understand that," Jack nodded. "Kind of like my guitar. Playing music is that important to me. It can change my mood in a heart beat."
"Yeah...like that." I smiled sweetly. "It's nice to meet someone who actually gets it."
Jack chuckled lightly.
"So why did you have to come up here to calm you down or whatever."
"My parents seemed to fight a lot. That's all they ever did with one another. She hated his job, and because she hated his job, he ended up hating her. My dad loves this country, and he loves his job. It takes it seriously, more than anyone I've ever seen. He tries he really does....but my mom didn't seem to understand that. Well, she did understand, but she couldn't stand the fact that he usually chose that over us. So...she decided to leave him. She wanted to take us with her, but he faught tooth and nail. He kept going on and on about how private schools in DC would be better for us than any other public school in the world."
"How did you like private school?"
"I loved it." I smiled up at him. "The food was amazing, the uniforms weren't all that ugly, and I had every class with my best friends. Life was pretty fucking sweet. My sister and I were close, but we didn't really hang out with the same crowds. Landon, as usual, had a pretty big reputation, but so did I. I was a bitch. It was bad."
"I'm sure it wasn't that bad..." Jack trailed off.
"You've seen Mean Girls right?"
"Yeah.... a few times,"
"Well I was Regina, Lily was Gretchen, Chelsea was Karen, and Lita was Cady. We were bad. Ten times worse than they were sometimes. I was even mean to Landon on more than once. She understood though, because we're twins and we have the weird telelpathic thing going on. At the end of the day, Landon was my best friend. Not any of those girls. Just my twin sister."
"And that all changed when you both came to Baltimore, right?"
"Sort of." I shrugged. "We don't spend as much time together like we used to. She's always off with guys or Alex and I'm just always with you. It's not hard to see each other...we just barely make time. That's sad isn't it?"
"In a lot of ways, yes. I know that if I got to see May and Joe everyday again, I'd take it in a heart beat."
"Do you miss them?"
"All of the time," He laughed. "But it's nice to be a only child when I'm home too."
I rolled my eyes. I sat down on the small couch. Jack followed me and laced his fingers with me once he was comfortable.
"You tour a lot, don't you?"
"I guess we do now. Since we're not in school. Matt already has another tour lined up for us."
"Looks like you guys are going to be on the road a lot, right?"
"Baltimore's too small to build a big fanbase."
"I thought that was the answer." I smiled softly at him. "So you plan on doing this for how long?"
"Until I die." Jack wiggled his eyebrows.
"Why not until you're in a wheel chair?"
"Cause I'll still be playing my guitar in a wheel chair." He announced proudly.
I giggled.
"You have big hopes and dreams, Barakat."
"What else are you supposed to do with life? Sit at a borning 9 to 5 job? No thanks. That's not me,"
"I didn't expect it to be." I stated, smiling up at the lanky boy next to me. "I wish I had as much drive and passion as you do."
"Well you could...what do you want to do with your life?"
I shrugged.
"I honestly have no idea. Before we moved, Landon and I were both working toward working for the government. But...I don't know anymore. That was sort of taken away from us."
"Did you want to go into that line of work?"
"At the time...we sort of didn't have any other choice. It what we were suppose to do."
"What about what you want to do?" He asked carefully, his brown eyes searching mine.
I thought and thought about this question. So many times I've tried to choose what I wanted to do. I wanted to have a answer. I wanted to have plans to go to college for something. I wanted more than anything to answer Jack's question, but I couldn't. I didn't have an answer.
"I don't know what I want."
"Welcome to being an actual teenager, Nascar. No one at your age really, fully knows what they want to do for the rest of their lives."
"But...you guys did? You knew that you wanted to be a band, traveling the world touring, making cds. You guys seemed to have figured it out."
"Not all the way," Jack laughed. "Can I tell you something?"
I gave him a sarcastic look.
"Noooo."
Jack shook his head, but his eyes never left mine.
"There have been times where I've been afraid."
"Really?"
"'Course, Cars. It's only natural to get scared," He laughed.
"but you're practically fearless."
"Not really," He shook his head. "Alex and I never really planned on going to school. We wanted to be in this band so bad. It wasn't even funny. We were together, so it was easy for us to agree on shit. Zack was sort of the same way too. He cared about school and stuff too, but he wanted to tour. He wanted to be in this band. But then there was Rian. He was so torn a lot of the times. He was accepted into more than one college. He didn't know if he wanted to go right into tour or to go to college."
"Let me guess...he chose the band?" I joked.
"Yeah, but not until after a lot of thinking." He sighed, looking away from me and out the window at the pretty scene in front of us. It was still light outside but it was slowly getting darker. "All I'm saying is this: don't put yourself in a box. Go a little crazy. Go out and make mistakes. Take a few chances..."
I sighed, snuggling into his side.
"I am taking chances. I'm taking a chance on you, Barakitty."
"Good answer." He stated.
I laughed.
"Come on, we better get back to Baltimore. Are you staying for dinner?"
"Sure." He laughed.

*
"Mom...I'm home," I called into the house seconds after entering with Jack following closely behind me. He shut the door behind him.
"Okay! Dinner will be ready in ten minutes!"
"Okay!" Jack and I yelled back, already racing up the stairs to my bedroom.
"Leave the door open!" Peter called.
Jack rolled his eyes as we sat down on my bed.
"That used to never happen before you guys moved in."
"That's because neither my mom or Peter knew about you two,"
"Details, details," Jack shrugged it off. "We've got ten mintues to spare...."
"Yeah?" I asked, raising my eyebrows at him. "What about it?"
Instead of answering me, Jack leaned in until our lips brushed softly against my own. The kiss was soft and sweet at first, but after a minute or two, the kissing picked up. His hands found either side of my face, molding our lips even closer together. I gripped his shirt, pulling him with me as I fell back on my bed. Making out heavily was new for me. Nearly everything with Jack was new. I had cute nick-names for him, and vice versa. We held hands, or were always touching at some point. This feeling in the pit of my stomach was new. Jack was a first for a lot of things. He was the first kiss, or actual kiss, the first make-out, first hand hold, the first time, the first moment. He was my first relationship.
"Whoa nelly."
Jack pulled his lips away from mine, laughing.
My cheeks heated as we sat up, looking at my mom standing in the open doorway.
"Peter did say to keep the door open..." I trailed off, looking down at my hands.
"Now I wish he hadn't," My mom joked. "Dinner's ready. Go fix yourselves up before you come down, okay?"
"Yes, Mrs. Gaskarth." Jack replied.
She smiled and nodded before she turned around and left the room. Jack started laughing, so I picked up the nearest pillow and smacked him with it.
"Yes, Mrs. Gaskarth," I mocked. "Come on, Jack. That was bullshit. What's with the manners all of the sudden?"
"You're mom just caught us making out heavily. I think being polite is a good way to go."
I rolled my eyes.
"My mom doesn't freaking care."
"Go fix your hair." He laughed. I shook my head but stood up and walked over to my full length mirror. I brushed out my hair and pulled down on my clothes. "You ready now?"
"Yeah," I nodded my head and laughed.
Jack slipped his hand into mine as we walked out of my room and down the stairs. He swung them like a little kid would, causing me to giggle. We made it to the dining room, and he pulled out my chair for me.
"M'lady."
"Thanksssss Jack Attack," I rolled my eyes.
"No problem, Cars."
He smirked in my direction before sitting down beside me. Again, he slipped his hand into mine.
We sat like that all through dinner.
"Where are Landon and Alex?" I casually asked my mom and Peter after I was done eating.
"They went to the movies with a bunch of friends,"
"Do you know who?"
"I assume Kara, Rian, Matt, and Kendra." Peter replied.
I nodded and looked over at Jack. He was done eating to.
"May we please be excued?" Jack asked.
I smiled, knowing that we were thinking the same thing.
"Go ahead," My mom sighed but gave us a knowing look. I ignored it and left the table with Jack walking behind me. I was the first into the room.
"Do you want to watch Aladdin?"
"Yeah," He nodded and sighed.
I put the VHS in, and walked over with the remote and sat down on the bed beside Jack. I wrapped both arms around his torso.
"What's wrong, Jacky?"
"Kendra and Matt are visiting Matt's Grandma today."
"Okay?"
"Rian's working, and Kara had cheer camp."
"What are you getting at?"
"They're obviously off doing something else,"
"What do you mean?" I asked, pulling away from him slightly.
"They're together. They lied."
Holy crap.
♠ ♠ ♠
Whoa! What do you guys think?

Go read Listen To The Thunder

xoxo Rae