Status: Active :)

The Singer and the Teacher

Chapter 17

I looked like an Eskimo when I left my apartment, wheeling my suitcase behind me with gloved hands. It might be warm in Florida, but I wasn't going to freeze on the way there. By now I was used to the process: receive the plane ticket, check in my bag, go through security and wait in the terminal. There were multiple men in Santa Claus suits, ringing their bells next to a donation can of some kind, and even the airport had the feel of Christmas about it. I was barely able to get on the flight because there were cruises leaving their port in Florida and people were taking any flight that led to the right state.

Soon enough I was in my seat, watching the same seatbelt demonstration for the hundredth time, the pilot telling us that he expected more turbulence than usual because of the weather, and that it was forty two degrees and rainy here in San Francisco.

My entire family was happy to hear that I would be spending my Christmas with Derek, since the rest of them had plans to visit their in-laws this year. I took to staring outside, even though it was gray and bleary. It didn't seem so gray when I reminded myself I was that much closer to seeing Derek again.

He had dominated my thoughts for the last week, and I missed him so much I had trouble getting out of bed knowing that I wouldn't see him waiting for me in the kitchen. In a few short hours, he would be standing right beside me and the world was going to feel right again.

Okay, the hours weren't short at all. It takes about five hours to get from San Francisco to Tallahassee, including boarding, taxiing and baggage claim if the flight was on time. I dozed off a few times, but I couldn't fall asleep like I normally did, not when I knew Derek was waiting for me at the airport. When I landed, I was wondering how his family was going to be. I was wearing my favorite dress and heels for meeting his mom and dad, but I was planning on jeans for the family reunion.

"Guess what?" I said after I called Derek. He was definitely at the airport, mere hundreds of feet away now, I could hear the people. "I'm in the terminal."

"Get your bags and run," he said, his voice creating the greatest feeling in the world in my chest and I really did start running when I hung up. I knew I wore sturdy heels for a reason. I was always excited to see Derek, but it felt different this time. I loved him more this time around, and it was starting to get hard to make him work for my "yes". I almost knocked someone over in my haste to get my suitcase and trotted as fast as the crowd would let me, and when I reached the main lobby, my eyes searched for that perfect, beautiful--

All thought stopped. Everything stopped. Derek was here, but he wasn't alone. His lips just parted from someone else's. She was blonde. Jenny. I liked to think I was a smart person, but I couldn't even find a reason why she was here, or why my boyfriend was kissing her. He didn't look happy, but why would that matter? No, now he's hugging her. What?

I think he saw me as I pulled up my hood, but I wasn't positive. I hid behind a group of college students waiting in line for their tickets to check in their bags. He was calling my name now, and my phone was ringing non-stop. I fought back the tears that so badly wanted to roll down my cheeks, but he wouldn't stop looking for me. The college students were just finished and I was about to walk up to the receptionist, almost crying openly, when a hand grabbed my shoulder and pulled me out of the line. His expression said he was terrified, and when he took my hand I shook it off.

"Adriene--"

"Don't talk to me. Don't touch me," I said weakly, walking in any direction as long as it was away from him.

"No," he said, this time taking my hand and holding it tight enough so I couldn't get away.

"Let me go, singer boy!" I shouted, and I pulled with all of my force, but it looked like I hit home with that one. "And don't follow me." I went out into the humid Florida weather, and I didn't know where I was going, but I couldn't go home and I was not going with Derek.

* * *

My heart leapt when Adriene called, and it started to race even faster when she hung up. I hid behind a pillar until I thought she would be coming in my direction, but I had a horribly unpleasant surprise.

"Aren't you tired of airports?" asked the blonde girl sitting in one of the chairs that lined the walls. Jennifer. Hearing her voice was one thing, and seeing her across the street was another, but seeing her, right here and right now, was too much.

"What are you doing here?" I demanded, and she laughed as she stood, putting her hands on my shoulders and linking them behind my neck like she used to. "We are over, Jennifer."

"Why?" she asked, serious now. The pain in her voice made my heart lurch. "I did what I thought I had to do, I couldn't be a pregnant bride, Derek."

"You could have asked me to move the wedding," I snapped back at her nastily. "Or we could have put it off entirely. You didn't have to go behind my back and wait until I was on tour and picking out baby names! When I said I never wanted to see you again, I meant it. Stay away--" She cut off whatever I had to say with a kiss. I hated how my body still reacted to her the same way, and I had to tear myself away. She pulled me into a hug, and that's when I saw Adriene. She was standing so still she could have been a statue, and she pulled up her hood and went to stand by a group of young adults like she was hiding from me.

"Derek, please--"

"You will never lay a hand on me again, Jennifer," I said, and left her without a second glance. "Adriene? Adriene!" She had disappeared more effectively than I thought she did. I called her over and over and over, and when I realized she was clearly ignoring me and hiding from me, I began to panic. No. Not her, and not now. This was such a stupid situation; I was not going to let this ruin us. She had simply shifted to the middle of the group, and I grabbed her shoulder and dragged her away from all of the people. Her cheeks were wet and her eyes were bloodshot. Now I was scared. She wanted to leave. To go home. I reached for her hand and she snatched it back.

"Adriene--" She interrupted me immediately.

"Don't talk to me. Don't touch me," she said, her voice weak and squeaky from her silent crying. She walked away from me, going nowhere at all. I took her hand again, and she rounded on me. "Let me go, singer boy!" Singer boy. Not in Greek. Not in Latin. Plain English so that I could understand. So I let her go. She stormed outside, and in a way, I was glad she went. At least she wasn't getting back on that plane. I still had a chance to fix this.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's been forever, I know.
But Mayday Parade's new album came out yesterday and I'm addicted again.
Thoughts?