Status: Yay New Story!

I'm Not Perfect

Because I go Against my Parent's Religious Views

When Flare Graft went to sleep at 3 a.m. on Sunday morning, she wasn’t expecting to wake up again until sometime after noon. However that dream was shattered when only four hours later her mother, Joanna Graft, was pulling the young girl out of bed.

“Florence! Come on, you’re going to church today.”
Flare grumbled and turned in the opposite direction of her demanding mother, “No thanks, I’m sleeping in…”

Joanna huffed and pulled at the covers engulfing her daughter, “I’m not playing with you Florence. Get out of bed now and get dressed. Don’t make me send your father up here.”

Flare listened as her mother’s footsteps moved farer away from her bedroom. Sighing, she moved slowly to her closet. She had to be the unluckiest girl ever; A white mother with all the attitude of a black woman. When people first met her they assumed her mother was sweet and nice. After five minutes Joanna Graft had completely demolished that fantasy.

Her parents were southern born. Her mother being the typical all-American Caucasian girl, while her father was the slightly nerdy boy mixed with a bit of everything. Even today Flare thought they were an odd couple. Her mother being the dominate one while her father was quite and tended to listen more.

“Florence, we’re leaving!”

Flare loved her parents, of course. They raised her after all. However, Flare took after her mother, which meant she was naturally loud, stubborn, and strong-willed. This caused the two to bump head a lot, especially when Flare announced to her parents that she was gay at the beginning of 7th grade.

“How are you Sister?” A tall dark man walked up to the trio giving Richard Graft a firm handshake and giving Joanna a hug. Flare stood awkwardly behind them, glad her father was tall enough to shield her. She always hated churches. The people used it as an excuse to do bad things and seek forgiveness.

“Fine Deacon, happy to be here this morning,” Joanna casted a look at Flare who was obviously trying to shrink behind her father, “This is our daughter Florence,“ she pulled the girl forward, “I’ve been telling you about her.”

Realization crossed his face and he flashed a smile in Flare’s direction, “your mother’s always talking about you.”
Flare forced a tight smile, “I bet.”
“Well take a seat; the service should be starting soon.” Deacon Phillip led them to a pew in the middle. Flare ended up and the end, her father separating her from her mother’s judging eyes.
Flare yawned as the preacher stood at the podium and began his sermon. Church never had much interest to her. She lowered her head and skillfully began to text on her cell phone. When that got boring she managed to sneak in a nap.

“Did you enjoy the sermon Florence?”
“Yeah mom, it was really… thought provoking.”
Richard glanced back as his daughter, a smile playing on his lips.
“You should come more often. Deacon Phillip was telling me about a rehab program for teens like you, it’s supposed to…”

“Excuse me? Rehab? Mom, I’m not an addict.”

Joanna laughed, “I’m sorry. I meant it’s a rehab for ‘gay’ teens. It’ll help you work through this phase.”
Flare groaned. This was the type of closed minded bull shit that pushed her away from her mother, “There’s nothing to fix. I’m not broken.”
Joanna waved away Flare’s words, “It’s just something to consider.”
Flare glared at the back of her mother’s head. She always thought she knew what was ‘best’ for her. In reality, that couldn’t be farther from the truth.

Waking up to the start of new school year, Flare made sure she dressed to impress. What was the point of school, if not to make people jealous? Sending a quick text to let Von know she was in route, Flare took the stairs two at a time skipping breakfast with her parents and deciding to get food on the way to school.

“Look at you pretty lady,” Flare pulled up to the house where Von was already sitting on the front steps, legs crossed.
“Look at me? Look at you! I might have to borrow that shirt later on.”
The car ride to the nearest fast food restaurant was filled with pleasant chatter on who they were excited to see and who they hoped had decided on an extra long summer vacation.
“Do you want anything?”
Von shook her head, “No thanks, my older brother’s girlfriend cooked this morning.”
Flare placed her order then turned back to Von, “I didn’t know you had a brother.”
Von laughed nervously, “Really, as long as we’ve been friends? I’m sure it would have come up.”
Flare shook her head, “I’ve never been inside your house either.”
Von racked her brain for an excuse as they pulled up to the window, “My mom really doesn’t like us to have company when she’s not home. She’s a bit over bearing.”
Flare scoffed, taking her meal from the cashier, “I’d bet she’d get along great with my mom.”
The girls arrived at the bustling school within minutes. Flare taking the time to eat and to re-apply her make-up. They stepped into the student parking lot already walking towards the edge of the courtyard where the other percent of their group stood.

“Took you long enough,” September gave her usual snarky greeting giving both Flare and Von a hug.

“What can I say; we’re on colored people time.”
“I hate how everyone acts like they’ve been separated for years, “Luvy looked around at all the girls comparing tans and outfits.
“Like Oh My GOD! Luvykins I love your new boob job!” September wrapped her arms around the girl saying every word obnoxiously loud.
“Fuck you,” Luvy seethed pushing September away from her.
“Calm down, Jesus. I was friggin’ kidding.”
“Yeah ‘cause 42 D’s fall out of the sky all the time. I was thinking about asking Santa for a pair. “Flare couldn’t keep herself from joining the teasing.
“Leave me alone.”
“Stop playing around, we need to do the ritual to make sure we get classes together.” Spencer held out her hands for the girls to take. The girls shared a look, but clasped their hands together.

“Please, pretty please give us at least one class together. And if we don’t have the same classes then at least give as all the same lunch.”
September bit back the sarcastic remark on her tongue. Although it was obvious it was physically paining her. Everybody was especially sensitive to Spencer who they considered the baby of the group.
The first bell rang and the girls gave each other a wave before walking to their respective homerooms’.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for all the comments :)
Special shout-out to Nanook, she's the bomb.com
I changed the title of Flare's chapter, it sounded awkward to me.
This is mainly to show the relationship she has with her mother.