How Did It Come to This?

Delaney

Why me? I didn’t even know you. I never bothered you. I didn’t do anything to you. You saw my weaknesses and took advantage of someone who was less perfect than you. I looked up to you, I wanted to be you. Not anymore. I see how fake and desperate to fit in you really are.
BR


“Delaney Wright, your honor.”

“How did you know Ms. Thorpe?” The man asked.

“I didn’t.” She answered.

“But you made fun of her?”

“Yeah.”

“Why?”

“Because it was easy to. She had an imperfection that was easy to make fun of and take advantage of.” She said.

“But you didn’t know her?”

“No.”

“Did you know Mr. Parker?” He asked.

“Yeah. We’ve gone to school together since third grade.” She said. “I didn’t even know he was the dad.”

“Would you have picked on her had you known that Leland was the father?”

“Probably not.”

“Why?”

“Because Leland and I have each other’s back. We would do anything for each other.”

“Would you ever go as far as to murder someone?”

“No.”

“Really? I think Leland asked you to help.”

“Never.” She said, keeping a calm composure.

“He didn’t ask you to talk to her? To taunt her and make her, I dunno, get an abortion?”

“No.” She answered.

“Then why did you?”

“Like I said, she was an easy target.”

He was quiet for a minute. “So, would you consider yourself a bully?”

“No.”

“Then, why, Ms. Wright, did you harass her?”

She didn’t say anything.

“Why would you pick Berkley, of everyone at your school, to harass? If you weren’t a bully like you claim. You didn’t know her.”

“I don’t know, I just did.”

“You had no, intentions, while you were harassing her? You didn’t know you would cause such a chain reaction?”

“No.” She was adamant. “You can’t even prove that there was a murder. Why are you harassing me about a pregnant girl that I picked on?”

“Because, we’re trying to prove your involvement in this case. Whether it be so small as to have driven her to say something to Leland. Something that would make her turn up missing.”

“I didn’t know why he wanted me to.” She finally admitted. “I figured it was just to see if she was cheating or something. Leland doesn’t have a history of being violent. He’s one of the most genuine and caring people I know.”

“A genuine and caring boy who was scared of fatherhood.” The man answered. “Different situations can bring out different personality traits.”

“Leland didn’t ask me to tell her to get an abortion. He asked me to talk to her.”

“There is a clear line between talking and harassing.”

“I didn’t even know he was the dad.” She pleaded. “I didn’t know why he wanted me to talk.”

“I’m done here, your honor.”