Status: Finished! Check out the sequel if you've enjoyed this one.

Lay Down Your Arms; Give Up The Fight

Either Way, I'll Break Your Heart Someday

After about an hour of Halvo's attempts at cheesy pick-up lines, they had finally reached Denny's. Shay sighed a breath of relief as she got off the bus and was reunited with her boys.

She stretched out her back and cringed when she heard it crack. She never really liked the sound of it; it gave her the chills.

"Ugh, I heard that!" yelped John. Shay looked over and saw that he had the same disgusted expression on his face as she just had. She smiled to herself when she thought about how innocent and cute he really was. With a shrug of her shoulders, Shay walked into the restaurant.

The table they all had to sit at was humungous; there were probably 17 of them altogether. She found an empty seat, coincidentally directly beside John. As he noticed her situate next to him, he smiled a little.

"John, what's good here? I've never been here before," Shay asked as she raised her eyebrows, scanning the laminated menu.

"WHAT?" he practically yelled. People turned and stared, and he smirked. "I mean, you've never eaten at a Denny's before? Where have you been your whole life?"

Shay giggled at his enthusiasm and passion for all things Denny's.
"Well, we didn't have one where I grew up. No, really, though. What do you get?"

John sighed as he spit out all 500 things he ordered. "... eggs, the Grand Slam breakfast, sometimes I get hashbrowns with that, a side of sausages, their pancakes and waffles are good, too..."
Shay cut him off, "Okay, okay, haha, I get it. Umh... I think I might go with the chocolate chip waffles."
"Excellent choice. I think I might do the same." He flashed his giant grin and Shay's insides melted. Why did she have to be so attracted to him?

While they were all eating, Shay took her time to study him from her close spot. He had a nice shade of blue-green eyes, and they had these golden specks in them. His chestnut eyelashes fluttered when he blinked, and they had the perfect curl. When she got to his hair, oh, she couldn't even explain it to herself. It was cropped short, almost a honey mixed with brown color, and it glistened under the lights. His smile was contagious at the very least; it just suited his face nicely. It seemed like all the features on his face came together harmoniously: the boy was beautiful.

John was taking a huge bite of his mushy pancake when he glanced over at Shay. He had to hold back his smile when he noticed her gazing at him, almost trance-like. Her eyes were wide like diamonds and she had a peaceful look on her face. He admired her dewy complexion and returned to eating his meal. There was something about her that he couldn't quite put a finger on. She was pretty; a natural beautiful. It was pure innocence, unlike the seductive sex appeal that Annalise had. Shay's intentions were true, and it really got him thinking. But no, he could never risk his heart ever again. He promised himself that that was the first and the last time he would ever endure such pain again. But then again, this could be different...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Dude, admit it," Kennedy said as he punched John on the arm.

They were back on the road, and John had just taken a seat in the back.

"Admit?" John asked as he rubbed his arm where Kennedy had socked him. For such a tiny guy, Kenny could pack a punch for sure.

"You like her. I would say that you were in love with her, but that would be stretching it too far. I saw the way you looked at her." He raised his eyebrow at John, begging for him to agree.

"Kenny, I don't believe in 'love.' " John emphasized his distaste for the word with air finger quotation mark motions.

Kennedy rolled his eyes at John. "You're so stupid, John. Shay is perfect; any guy would KILL to be with her. She would never hurt a fly, and she sure is beautiful. You're taking what you have for granted."

"Kennedy, I don't like her." John's words were firm, but at heart, he agreed with Kennedy. It was his fear that held him back.

Kennedy sighed as he got up from the seat next to John. "You'll see, bud. You'll see. Hopefully it won't be too late."
-----------------------------------------------------

The pages of her old Nancy Drew novel turned and caused a wave of air that blew Shay's hair back past her face .

"Ah, Nancy Drew. Classic," Halvo noted as he took the seat next to her.

Shay looked up and rolled her eyes before she returned to her book.

"Relax, I'm not trying to hit on you. Can I talk to you about something?" Halvo threw in a laugh.

Shay giggled and put down the book. "Go for it, buddy."

"You like him," he stated matter-of-factly.

"W-wh-what?" Shay stuttered. That took her by complete surprise.

He laughed at her reaction. "It's obvious, Shay. You like John."

"Psh. Psh. Pshhhhh," Shay crinkled her nose and avoided his eye contact.

Halvo let out a real laugh and waited for her to look him in the eye.
"John's a good guy. He's my best friend. I approve of it. I know he puts on a hard outer shell. He's been through a lot, and he likes to say he doesn't believe in love, but I know him better. He's a sappy romantic guy at heart; you just have to earn your way in."
Shay was shocked at how Halvo was so profound.

"Thanks, Halvo. That was actually really... nice."

He shrugged his shoulders, " I have my moments." He patted her on the back before he got up. "Go for it, Shay. I believe in it."

Her heart was racing when she thought about her and John. Together.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it's been forever since I've updated, so I tried my best to make this lengthy.
So, John's playing hard to get!
Should Shay go for it, or stay out of it?
Thanks for reading, all of you guys!