Little Red

Little Red

In the midst of the woods, surrounded by tall trees looming over me, blanketing me and giving me comfort, the sun shines through the tops of the trees, causing an orange glow to light up the area. The leaves which lay upon the floor came in an array of colours from browns to greens, oranges to reds, showing the whole time line of seasons scattered along the ground. A large spider web connected two huge branches together, and glistened when the sun touched upon it, sending out silver sparkles like diamonds. There was a silence which filled the air, a silence which was serene and still. A silence which didn’t ask for any noise.

I lay on the ground, closing my eyes and feeling the warmth of the sunbeams fold over me, providing me security and safety. This was my sanctuary. The place I came to when I wanted to escape, be free.

I pulled my red hood over my long blonde hair which touched the small of my back. As I licked my lips, I let out a low gentle sigh. A sigh full of longing. A longing for him.

It was in these woods where I first clapped eyes on him. That was nearly a whole year ago now and ever since I’d always come back to this spot, hoping to see him once more. Those dark eyes with so much mystery behind them. Those silences which spoke a thousand words. That rough voice which caused my stomach to twist. His thick dark hair which was so easy to get lost in. His wolf-like demeanour which I longed for, is what brought me back each time.

Prowling amongst the trees is when I first saw him. My honey blonde hair just brushing my shoulders then. My slim framework covered only by a thin white sundress. I stepped out from behind a tree trunk. I made sure he saw me. I made sure his eyes took in every detail of me. I danced closer towards him, letting him see my every fairy-like movement, every freckle which dotted my tanned shoulders and every gleam hidden in my eyes. I revelled in the attention.

He watched patiently. He watched as I put on a show, a performance of a lifetime. He was my audience and he was perfectly attentive.

He spoke few and little words but when he did speak I was enthralled. Hanging on to everything which slipped past his lips. Like nothing I’d ever heard before, his words touched me. They reached out and filled me up inside, heavy with meaning. Like stones, each word weighed me down, weighed me down to him.


Then I heard, a long wolfy drawl which tore me form my memory and into the present. So slow and deep. “Hello,” The ‘o’ dragged out, making my stomach squirm and my heart beat faster. I closed my eyes and listened to his feet as they crunched through the leaves. Closer. Louder. So close. Until silence. There he was, stood right next to me.

I opened my eyes, and I saw his stare straight back. Those deep mysterious eyes I remember so well, connecting with my pale cornflower blue eyes. Eyes which confessed my innocence. His hand reached out to mine, a thick hairy paw, and it wrapped around my small delicate fingers. He guided me through the words, protecting me. Little me. Just sweet sixteen. He led me deep into the woods, farther than I have ever been. Where the roots of the trees lay tangled on the floor, thorns from the branches tore and snagged my clothes. My stockings ripped. My red coat shredded, leaving small pieces of cloth strewn through the wood. A marked path. Marked with crimson.

When we reached the clearing, it was dark. No sunlight shone through the trees like it did in my sanctuary. The thick oak trees overlapped creating shadows which danced along the ground. I stood in his shadow, waiting for his word. He turned to face me, creating a silence which screamed. Raising a fingertip, he gently tucked my blond locks behind my ear, and then brushed his finger along my slender cheek.

He made me feel beautiful.

Then he took my innocence. No, I gave him my innocence. Handed to him on a silver plate. With my eyes closed I imagined running along a beach, barefoot and free. I imagined the sea rough and coarse though unable to touch me. Unable to hurt me. Then I imagined a white dove and I watched this dove till it decided to fly free. Then I opened my eyes.

Somehow, I didn’t feel beautiful anymore.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment with any con/crit. Thank you! :)