Dark Insanity

Chapter Three: Raven

The sedation took me back to the world which I'd rather forget.A world where I was still an outcast, and I was kept prisoner by the condemned.I was always brought into the stone walls of my misery and nightmares. Staring at myself from a shattered mirror, I see the distorted version of me. She stares at me with wide eyes filled with fear, as she pulls out a black ribbon. I saw myself tie it around my neck, tying the end with a tiny bow. I try to turn away as she sheds off her clothing, revealing age old scars, fresh and old. She stands there, cold and alone, vulnerable to the world.

"Stop," I whispered, pleading with myself," please stop."

However, the other me didn't listen. She grabbed a dagger, the shadow's dagger, and held it up to our throats. I shook my head, not wanting to die, not wanting to feel pain. The other girl smiled sadly and then began to cry.

"I DON'T WANT TO BE HERE!" she screamed, mascara running down her face.

"Please,"I pleaded," don't kill us! We need to live! If not for us,then for Elda!"

She shook her head, her chocolate brown hair whipping back and forth. Then holding the dagger closer to my throat, she shook violently. Raven stared at me, pleading to be set free, to be gone from this living hell. We both knew that was impossible. My parents placed me here without a care in the world. They abandoned me and continued to live happily on with their only child, making me non-existent in their eyes.

"Now you see what I mean."She whispered, holding the dagger , ready to strike.

"We can be above this!" I said to myself, "We want to prove them wrong!"

"We can't,"she replied," those cursed nurses won't let us free, now will they? So we are bound here forever."

"No we are not!" I spat."We shall be free!"

She stared back at me, her eyes now filled with happiness and bravery. Nodding, she smiled, lowering the dagger. I walked up to the mirror, we both did, and she held out a hand. I pressed my hand against the shattered glass, feeling the warmth of the other, we were now safe.

Suddenly, the castle began to shake, evil spewing from the crevices of the wall like tendrils of smoke.I stared at myself, who was smiling deceitfully and I realized what I had done. She grabbed onto my wrist, not ever letting go, pulling me to the glass. I tried to fight back, but it was no use, I was too strong, so I let her take me.

"This is for the greater good, and thank you for setting us free!"

Then she raised the dagger and cut my arms vertically, crimson droplets splashing against the concrete floor. My world was tilting, ending. She then lifted my head, kissed my cheek, and ran the blade against my neck. Throwing me upon the floor, I watched myself die slowly. The shadow taking its prize, my soul. Just as I about slipped away, I remember Elda, and I began to fight back.

"NO!" it screamed as I was escaping this prison, becoming free.

"Oh hell yes!" I screamed, and I took my leave.

I woke up to be in the infirmary, chained to the bed with iron chains. I was bleeding from what I could see, but the nurses ignored me, too busy playing a game of Russian Roulette with an old pistol. I couldn't say a word, being gagged had silenced me for now. However, one nurse saw me awake, and sauntered to me, carrying the pistol. I smelled sherry emanating from her like perfume.

"Wanna play?"she hiccuped, putting the gun to my head.

I shook my head,not wanting to die, but she didn't care. Pressing it to my temple, she clicked the gun, ready to fire. She laughed maliciously, and pulled the trigger.The gun clicked with a hollow chuckle, saving me for this day.The nurse sighed at the fact that I wasn't dead and went back to her posse, not caring that I was scared or that I was giving away my life support.Suddenly, darkness crept over me , and I fell into it's beautiful and comforting grasp, healing my wounds that I obtained today.