Dark Insanity

Chapter Five: Raven

I awoke to Elda's thin, pale fingers. She was nervous and scared, her hands trembling as it shielded my eyes. Wanting to comfort her, I grabbed her wrists gently, letting her know I was fine. Elda removed her hand, her face blotchy red, like she had been crying for a little bit.

"Hey,sweetie,"I whispered," what's wrong?"

She smiled and shook her head, but I knew better. Her demons had came back to haunt her once more, and I wasn't there to wipe away her fears. Feeling helpless, I held back tears of shame. She had always been there to wipe away my tears, always defending me, but I wasn't there for her. I held out my arms to hold her, and she came into them, beginning to sob. Elda shuddered with each sob, muttering how cursed and despicable she was.

"Honey," I whispered, "you're not a monster, do you hear me?"

She nodded, sniffling as she lifted her head. Just then, an idea came to me, like a whisper from somewhere. Thinking, I let my natural senses take over. The other me, the traitor, told me that I needed to be free from this damned place.If only we could escape without being chased. However, I thought grimly, our parents would never rest until we were put back into this hell.

"Rae," she whispered," what are you thinking,sis?"

"A way outta here."

Elda lifted her head, her eyes gleaming with a curious glint. That's when I noticed the crimson stain on her hands. Gingerly picking up her hands, I knew what happened. I shook my head, not out of disappointment, but of sadness. Her demons brought her down once again. And I wasn't there....

"It's not your fault,Raven."she whispered.

"Nor is it your."I stared at her, stern.

There was no way in hell that I was gonna let her be tormented by this prison. Standing up, I thought of want to do. We had about an hour before the next shift came in, which was probably enough time to wipe everything off and ditch this place. However, where would we go? Where would we live? How could we pay to get there? It's not like our ever-so-loving parents gives us an allowance. Coming to a final decision.

"Are you ready to ditch this place?" I asked.

"Hell yes."

"Good. Because we are leaving."

Elda looked at me, her eyes wide with shock. I turned around and jogged to the infirmary, ignoring the bloody masses. Elda followed behind me, shaken by her deeds and exited at the chance for freedom.Walking to the closet, I flung it open, grabbing clothing, money, and anything else valuable.I turned to Elda, nodding.

"Grab the gun and the rest of the ammo, and grab whatever money they have on them."

She nodded and rushed to do her task. About twenty minutes later, we were ready to leave.We were changed into different clothes. Elda in ripped blue jeans and a t-shirt and I the wore the same. On our way out the door, I turned around to the hallway that kept the victims, praying that they will survive this wretched place. I turned back to the door,and looked at my friend taking a breath.

"Ready?"I asked.

"Yes."

We both hightailed it out of there, running until we were far away from the nightmare.We never looked back.