Dark Insanity

Chapter Eight: Raven

I knew who Elda was thinking about, she needn't tell me. Reaching out a hand, I laid it on her shoulder, trying to comfort her. With one look she saw that I too missed James. Maybe not the same as her, but I missed him nonetheless. Slowly letting my hand fall, my thoughts turned to James,sweet loving James. He was perhaps my first and only true crush.
*************
He dashed in front of Elda, the bullet shoving through his brain. My heart immediately stopped beating, fear gripped it with a sickening glee. James laid upon the grimy floor, a scarlet pool of blood surrounding him.' I could have saved him, I thought as I was forced into bed, yet I didn't.' After the nurses restrained us, we were left to grieve.

Shortly after they had left and Elda fell asleep, I stayed awake, pain gripping my chest. I lost him, my dear sweet James. He died saving Elda, which made me wonder if he liked her. I shook my head, if he was then he was. Yet my heart felt dismal about that, and it plagued me with unusual pain. Suddenly, I felt a light touch on my hand. Turning my head, I saw James stand there, a smile on his face.

"James!" I whispered, my eyes wide with shock.

He chuckled," Hello, Raven. "

I started to cry," It's my fault, James. I could have saved you."

"No you couldn't. But that's not why I'm here. I need a favor."

"Sure thing James. What is it?" I lifted my head,thankful to appease him.

"Watch over Elda for me," he looked at her, "I love her so much."

"Okay." I said, my heart broken.

Then he disappeared, without a goodbye. I laid there,tears falling down my cheeks. So he did love her. Then why did he die, not me? I mean, I have no one to love me nor would I ever have someone to love me. I turned to Elda, swearing that I would look after her. Even if that means sacrificing myself.
***************
"Raven."

I turned my head to see Elda staring at me with worry. I shook my head, smiling for once. She needn't know about how James felt about her, not now anyway. Looking up, I saw the truck come to a halt, something blocked the truck. Peering over the edge, I saw a barricade of police cars line up the road.

"Crap,"I muttered," Elda, run. Now. "