Status: Done! Please comment! Working on the sequel!

Just a Girl

Just a Girl (16)

Music from Jordan’s truck blared as I sat on one of the logs that surrounded the crackling fire pit. I watched as the couples, one by one, sat with their significant other. They held hands and the guys wrapped their arms around their girlfriend’s shivering bodies to keep them warm. The girls leaned into their warm boyfriends, comforted by their heat.

I longed for my own source of warmth and comfort. I knew I was loved, just not like that. Ever since I was a little girl I dreamed about a guy who would sweep me off my feet. I dreamed about a guy who would love me unconditionally. I just dreamed of a guy even liking me for a while, but it never happened. It was probably because of the fact that I had been an outcast, and I had never been girly. I even went through a skater phase. I never had the perfect hourglass figure guys like either.

A shiver wracked through my body and I wished for warmth even more, but I had to sit alone, watching all the couples make googly eyes with each other.

A song that I liked came on the radio of Jordan’s truck and I hummed along, trying to forget my numbing body, and have fun with everyone else.

“Cara!” Erin yelled over the pounding music. It was a wonder no one had complained about it yet…

“Yeah?” I asked.

“You wanna come over here and sit with us? You’re looking awfully cold.” She yelled, straining her neck.

I felt something warm and soft touch my back and then Zeke came into my vision. He sat next to me and wrapped the excess blanket that he had brought, around him. I shot him a grateful smile.

“I’ve got it covered!” Zeke answered for me.

“Where were you?” I asked.

“I was out getting more firewood with Oliver.” He said. “Did you miss me?” He grinned.

“More like your warmth.” I said, snuggling closer into him.

“Oh, I see how it is.” He feigned hurt.

“Oh, I was just kidding.” I laughed. “I’m glad you brought a blanket with you.”

“Me too. It’s freezing out here.” He slung his arm around my shoulders from under the blanket and rubbed his had up and down m arm. “And so are you.” He said.

“Yeah, well I’m always cold.” I explained.

“Well, I know a way to warm-”

“Drinks are here!” Oliver announced, cutting Zeke off.

“You want one?” Zeke asked.

“No, I’m good.” I replied politely.

“I’m gonna go get one.” He said, getting up and exposing my right side. I pulled the blanket up over my shoulder and watched as everyone got up to get a drink.

When Zeke came back I realized that the beverages were alcoholic. I gulped and placed the blanket back over Zeke. He took it off his shoulder and put it back on me.

“Keep it.” He said, popping open his beer can, a metallic smell wafting through the crisp winter air. “You need it more than I do.”

“Are you sure?” I asked doubtfully. I didn’t want him to catch a cold.

“Yeah, positive.” He took a sip of his beer. “You’re cold even when we’re inside. Under the covers of our bed.” He chuckled.

“True.” I laughed.

“Are you sure you don’t want a drink?” Zeke asked me.

“Yeah I’m positive.” I said. “I don’t drink.” I told him.

“Like, ever?” He asked, surprised.

“I just don’t like drinking, and I most definitely don’t want to get drunk.”

“Why not?” He asked, confusion clear on his face.

“Well, all you guys are drinking.” Zeke took a swig of his beer, proving my point. “Someone has to be the responsible one.” I pointed out.

“That makes sense.” He said, nodding his head.

“I know.” I smiled. “You better not get too drunk.” I warned.

“I won’t.” He assured me.

I yawned and rested my head on Zeke’s shoulder. He ruffled my hair with his free hand.

“Tired?” He asked.

“A little. But not tired enough to got to bed.” I sighed.

I shut my eyes and let my mind wander, listening to the soft, comforting crackle of the fire before us. The heat from it didn’t quite reach me, but I was okay wrapped in Zeke’s blanket.

What seemed like moments later I felt my head hit something hard. I pried my heavy eyelids open and realized I must have fallen asleep on Zeke, after telling him I wasn’t tired enough to.

I peered around, horrified by the scene in front of me.

Zeke and Jordan were fighting, a few of the couples making out, and Oliver was passed out on the ground. I shot up off the log, letting the blanket fall off me and I sped over to Jordan and Zeke.

“Stop it!” I shouted at them. They looked at me stunned.

“Stay out of it.” Jordan slurred.

“Yeah, this is between me,” he jabbed his thumb into his chest, “and him.” He pointed an unsteady finger at Jordan.

I grabbed Zeke’s arm and tugged on it, bringing him to sit back on the log. He looked at me, confused.

“You promised me you wouldn’t get too drunk.” I hissed.

“I’m not too drunk.” He said, a goofy grin plastered on his face. “I’m drunk just enough.”

“No more beer for you.” I commanded.

“Don’t tell me what to do.” He stood up, swaying on the spot before sitting back down and leaning forward. A horrified look passed his face before he opened his mouth and the contents of his last meal spewed out. I quickly got up and walked away before I, too, threw up.

I decided I should go check on Oliver to make sure he was okay. I walked over to him and kneeled by his side. I put my ear by his slightly open mouth to see if he was breathing, which he was. They were shallow, choppy breaths, but at least he wasn’t dead. I tried to shake him awake, but he wouldn’t open his eyes.