Status: Done! Please comment! Working on the sequel!

Just a Girl

Just a Girl (20)

“Let me know if you see a motel.” Zeke said. It was night and we had been driving for roughly 8 hours. I had driven for about 3 hours so Zeke could relax, and he drove the other 5.

“Will do.” I said groggily.

I kept my eyes peeled, staring out into the cleat night, which was filled with the light of a gas station every so often. I perked up every time I saw a sign, thinking about how good sleep sounded, but I was disappointed many times at the lack of a motel.

“Oh, I see one!” Zeke announced, scaring the living daylights out of me, as I had been so focused on spotting a motel.

We pulled into the parking lot and I decided not to take my luggage in with me. It seemed Zeke had decided the same thing. We treaded over the uneven snowy parking lot, me almost slipping twice and Zeke catching me.

“Can’t take you anywhere.” He joked. I playfully punched his shoulder and he mocked hurt, rubbing the spot where I had hit him.

Zeke held the door open for me, and I nodded my head in appreciation. We walked to the front desk together. Well, It wasn’t so much of a desk as a table.

There was an old man sitting at the table on a crooked wooded chair. A bright smile was plastered on his face as we approached his set up.

“Hi.” Zeke greeted. “We’d like to rent a room.”

The old man wiggled his eyebrows suggestively. “A special night for the two of you?” He asked. I felt a bright red blush creep onto my face.

“Uh…no.” Zeke said awkwardly.

“Well, I’m sorry to inform you that we have no rooms available.” He apologized.

I fought the urge to roll my eyes. Why hadn’t he just said that in the first place?

“Well, we’ll be on our way then.” Zeke said. The old man gave an open-mouth smile, exposing his gums. A shiver ran through my body at how creepy this man now looked. It seemed Zeke was having the same thoughts because he grabbed my hand and we sped out of the tiny motel.

“That guy gave me the creeps.” Zeke explained, looking down at our inter-locked hands. He quickly released my hand, making feel awkward, and we both brought our hands back closer to our own bodies.

“Me too.” I agreed, my blush slowly fading.

We got back in the car and Zeke started driving again. It wasn’t long before we found another hotel and were walking into the heated space.

“We’d like a room please.” Zeke said politely.

“You’re lucky.” The receptionist told Zeke. “We only have two more rooms available.”

“Any chance there’s one on the first floor?” I asked nervously.

“No, I’m afraid not.” She said, looking sincere. “We have one on the third floor though.”

“That’s great.” Zeke said, handing over his credit card. A pang out guild shot through me. I couldn’t let him pay for the hotel room. Too late now though.

The lady typed a few things into the computer in front of her, and with a few more clicks, she handed us a room card with a picture of a waterfall on it, and Zeke’s credit card.

“Thanks.” Zeke smiled.

“Room 309.” She told us before we left.

“Can we take the stairs?” I asked.

“Cara, it’s 10 at night and I’m tired. Why can’t we take the elevator?” He whined.

“Because we can use some exercise.” I lied.

“Then why would you want a room on the first floor?” He challenged.

“I…” I thought for a moment, but came up with nothing.

“The truth.” Zeke demanded.

“I’m afraid of elevators.” I mumbled.

“What was that?” Zeke asked.

“I’m afraid of elevators, okay?” I said a bit too loud.

“Why? They’re totally safe. The wires that hold them up could hold a bus up.” Zeke said. “Last time I checked, I don’t weigh as much as a bus. Do you?” He asked rhetorically.

“No…but I’m claustrophobic.” I explained.

“What?”

“I’m afraid of tight spaces.” I said, frustrated.

“It’ll only be for two seconds.” Zeke coaxed.

“No.” I crossed my arms firmly.

“Yes.” Zeke grabbed my arm and dragged me toward the elevator. I planted me feet, but Zeke gave me one good push and I stumbled into the elevator. My heart rate accelerated as the doors shut and I knew it was too late to turn back now.

I squeezed my eyes shut and took a few deep breaths. I felt Zeke rubbing my back.

“See, not so bad is it?” He asked in a soothing voice. I took a shaky breath in and opened my eyes. I looked at Zeke who way smiling adorably at me. My heart rate started going back to normal, when the elevator jerked to stop and the lights went out with a surging sound. I let out a shriek and squeezed my eyes shut again.