Status: Done! Please comment! Working on the sequel!

Just a Girl

Just a Girl (21)

I clung to Zeke as if my life depended on it. I felt him wrap his arms around me and I started relax a bit. Knowing he was here, and feeling that he was here, made me feel better.

“I’ll just press the red emergency button and we’ll be out of here in no time.” Zeke reasoned.

“Okay.” I said shakily. I felt his comforting arms leave me for a moment, hearing a clicking noise, then his arms returned.

“I should’ve just listened to you and taken the stairs.” He said, sounding ashamed. “I’m sorry for forcing you onto the elevator.”

“It’s okay.” I said, taking a deep breath in, and letting it out. “We’re even.”

“What do you mean?” He asked, confused.

“Well, I didn’t listen to you when we went skiing, so I broke my arm.” I explained, holding up my cast, although it didn’t matter, it was pitch-black.

Zeke held me tighter and pulled us back, so we were resting comfortably against the elevator wall. I rested my head on his shoulder and his comforting arm was wrapped around my waist.

“Well, if I had to be stuck in an elevator, I’m glad it’s with you.” Zeke said, resting his head on top of my own.

“Same.” I agreed.

“What should we do to pass the time?” Zeke asked.

“Sleep?” I suggested with a smile.

“That’s so boring though.” He whined.

“What would you suggest?” I challenged.

“Listening to some music from my iPod?” He suggested.

“Only if you have good songs.” I said, realizing I didn’t really know what his taste in music was like.

“I’ve got some Marianas Trench.” He said, turning on his iPod touch and illuminating the small space. “Or The Maine.” He suggested.

“I love them.”

“Me too.” He scrolled through his songs, finding “Kiss and Sell” by The Maine. He clicked on it and the familiar song bounced off the walls of the tiny elevator.

About half way through the song my eyes started to droop, and as much as I tried to fight it, they fell closed and I drifted off.

***

A bright light woke me up. I fought to open my eyes to see what was going on. I blinked rapidly to get used to the light, and slowly a fireman and a news crew came into focus.

A news woman with an annoying news womanly voice spoke into the camera. “This teenage couple checked into this hotel last night-” Hold up, did she just say couple? Why does everyone think that? I stopped listening to her and glanced up at the burly fireman.

“Are you two okay?” One of the fireman asked.

“Yeah.” We answered in unison.

The elevator was bit below the actual floor so we had to look up even when we stood. The fireman extended his hand to me first, so I took it and he helped me out, then Zeke.

“We can go now, right?” I asked.

“Yeah, I’d try and get out before that news lady tries to interview you.” The fireman answered, jabbing his thumb in the direction of the automatic door.

“Thanks.” I mouthed, and Zeke and I took off toward the exit. We got in the car and Zeke turned it on.

“Well that sucked.”

“Yep.” I agreed. “I’m sorry you had to pay for a night in an elevator.” I apologized.

“Don’t apologize.” He shook his head.

“Why not?”

“It wasn’t your fault.” He laughed. “If anyone’s, it was mine.”

“Well, you didn’t know the elevator was going to get stuck.” I assured him.

“Yeah, but I should have listened to you.”

“Like I said, we’re even now.” I gazed out the window, taking in the sights as I spoke.

“I suppose, but it was still pretty crappy of me to force you into the elevator.” Zeke said. I could tell he was guilty.

“Don’t even worry about it.” I said. “Just drop it and forget it ever happened. I know I want to anyway.” I shivered at the thought of being confined to a tiny elevator for another day.

“So we just have today on the road and we should get to your dads at about-” he stopped to look at his watch, “9 p.m.”

“Okay.” I nodded.

“How about we find someplace to get breakfast?” Zeke suggested.

My stomach growled in agreement and we both laughed.

“I’ll take that as a yes.” He said as I rubbed my stomach.

“Can we go to and IHOP®?” I asked. “I’m craving pancakes.” My mouth watered at the thought of fluffy pancakes with butter and just a bit of syrup drizzled over top.

“That’s does sound good.” Zeke agreed. “I’ll see what I can do.”