Status: Done! Please comment! Working on the sequel!

Just a Girl

Just a Girl (25)

“Let’s go sit over there.” Zeke suggested.

We were in a new restaurant that just opened up. The purpose was to help bands get discovered, and at the same time, give the restaurant free live entertainment. It was called “The Rockin’ Spot”. I know, what you’re thinking. Clever, right? Note sarcasm.

I wanted to check this place out, but I was afraid of going alone. I didn’t want to seem like a loser, so I asked Zeke; I knew he’d say yes.

“Okay.” I said, a smile ,that seemed to be unmoving, was plastered on my face. This music was great, this band deserved to be discovered.

I stumbled awkwardly over to the table Zeke had pointed at. Restaurants were so hard to walk through, with waiters and waitresses running about, people pushing out chairs to leave, and others sticking their feet in the walkways.

“Here,” Zeke said, pulling out a chair for me and gesturing for me to sit in it. I sat, and awkwardly thanked him.

I picked up a menu and scanned in for anything that looked even remotely appetizing. After a few minutes, I settled for a simple burger.

The waitress came over, taking our orders, and winking at Zeke as she walked away. He just rolled his eyes.

Another band started playing and their genre of music was a stark contrast from the one before them. Their upbeat tune floated around the whole restaurant, giving it a bright aura.

“They’re pretty good.” Zeke commented. “And it looks like the guitarist is eyeing you.”

“No way.” I said doubtfully.

“Look for yourself.” He jerked his thumb in the direction of the stage where the band was performing.

I glanced over at the guitarist, and sure enough he was staring at me. I wasn’t complaining though, he was pretty hot. He had black hair, like the rest of the band members, but his had red tips. He had snake bites and a gnarly septum piercing.

I shot him a friendly smile, and he shot me a flirtatious one in return. I guess it was a good thing he didn’t think Zeke and I were on a date, like most people.

“I guess he is.” I said, looking ripping my eyes from his intense gaze and back over at Zeke.

He was sitting there with his arms crossed and a stern look on his face. My awestruck smile quickly faded.

“What?” I asked.

“Oh nothing.” He said, but you could tell that it was something.

“Tell me.” I demanded.

“Well…” He faltered, thinking. “He looks like…” he thought a bit more.

“Like what?” I urged.

“A bad influence.” He finally explained.

“A bad influence?” I asked incredulously. “How much worse can he be than me?” I asked. “I’ve got an odd piercing too.”

“But your’s is cute.” He argued.

I arched an eyebrow and his face turned bright red.

“I…but…I meant…” he tried to explain.

I held up a hand, silencing him. “Save it.” I said.

I looked back over at the band, taking it in as a whole. The lead singer and drummer both looked like they each had their eyes trained on one specific person. My eyes followed the lead singer’s, landing on a pretty blonde. She was mouthing the words, sitting next to a long-haired brunette; the girl the drummer was staring at.

After our food came, we ate in silence for a while, enjoying the music. The singer and drummer of the band with the hot guitarist went to go sit with the girls, who I assumed the be their girlfriends.

“I’ll be right back.” Zeke said, standing up and pushing in his chair.

“Where are you going?” I asked.

“Bathroom.” He replied simply.

“Okay.”

I took another bite of my delicious burger and washed it down with a sip of coke.

“Hey.” Someone said, scaring the crap out of me. I looked up to see the drummer staring down at me expectantly.

“Hi.” I returned.

“I’m Rob.”

“Cara.” I said.

“So, I was wondering if I could get you’re number.” He said boldly.

“I’m on a date.” I said, seeing if he’d fall for it.

“Oh please.” He said. “I’m not stupid. I could tell you guys are just friends by your body language.”

“Wow, you’re good.” I laughed.

“Yep.” He said arrogantly. “So, about your number…” He said, pen poised above his hand.

I gave him my number and he wrote it down, giving me a smile as he clicked the pen shut and shoved it back in the pocket of his black skinny jeans.

“Your band was great by the way.” I complimented.

“Do you want to come over and meet my band mates?” He asked, gesturing toward them.

I glanced toward the bathroom to see if Zeke was coming, which he wasn’t. “I guess.” I said. Rob led me back over to his table where I received a warm smile from the brunette.

“This is Cara.” Rob introduced. “And this is Derek and Jake.” He said, pointing to the drummer, then the lead singer, who I had realized had blonde highlights. That was how I could remember him. “Then Katie, Jake’s boyfriend.” He pointed to the blonde. “And Sarah, Derek’s girlfriend.”

I nodded, trying to memorize them so I could match a face to a name at any given moment if need be.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and I jumped a bit, but realizing it was probably Zeke, I relaxed. I turned around, and my suspicions were confirmed my eyes met his electric blue ones.

“What are you doing?” He whispered, so low that only I could hear him.

“Making friends.” I shrugged.