Status: Done! Please comment! Working on the sequel!

Just a Girl

Just a Girl (31)

“I’m going to try to get you that one.” Rob said with determination, pointing at a little plastic ring with a fake diamond in the crane machine at the mall a couple weeks later.

“Good luck with that.” I scoffed.

“Fine Ms. Doubtful. If I get it, I get a kiss.”

“Deal.” I said, shaking his hand.

I watched as he inserted a quarter into the machine and started pressing the buttons. Once he had the crane perfectly positioned, he pressed the red ‘drop’ button. The crane dropped and mechanically grabbed the ring. I stood back and watched intently as the crane came back to it’s original position and dropped the ring into the box.

Rob reached in and grabbed the cheap thing, kneeling in front of me, holding it up to me.

“Cara Harrison.” He started. Passersby stopped to witness what was going on. “I know we have only known each other for a month now, but since I’ve already graduated and can’t walk to you all your classes, sit with you at lunch, or kiss you by your locker after school, I want you to have this ring to show all the other guys that you’re mine.” He took my ring finger and pushed the ring on.

“Fine.” I said. “Then I have to get you one too. Since I haven’t graduated, can’t come with you to all your band practices and performances, and can’t kiss you after your performances, I want all your groupies to know that you’re mine.

“Fair enough.” He said, handing me a quarter.

I took it and deposited it into the machine.

“I’m going to get you that one.” I said, pointing to one with a skull on it.

I pressed the buttons until I was content with the crane’s position. I made the crane drop, and much to my surprise, grabbed the ring. The crane went back to it’s original position and dropped the ring in the box.

I reached in and grabbed it. I took Rob’s left in mine, placing the ring on his ring finger.

“Why thank you.” He said over-dramatically. “Now where’s my kiss?” He asked, placing his hands on my hips and pulling me closer.
I leaned in and pecked his lips as quickly as I could.

I pulled away to see Rob frowning.

“Will you go with me to the Valentine’s day dance?” I blurted.

He released my hips in favor of my hand and we started walking.

“Sure.” He said.

“Really?” I asked. I’d never had a date to a dance before…

“Yeah…,” he said, “why wouldn’t I?”

“Well, I guess it was more of a rhetorical question.” I explained. “So, should we color coordinate?”

“Definitely.” He said, smiling lightly.

“Red?” I asked. I was sure he wouldn’t want to wear purple or pink.

“If that’s what your little heart desires.” He said, playfully flicking my nose.

“Isn’t that a bit corny though?” I asked, second guessing the idea.

He held up his left hand and pointed to the ring on it. “Isn’t this a bit corny?” He asked, chuckling.

“Yes, yes it is.” I cracked a smile. “Red it is.”

“Red it is.” He chorused. “When does it start?”

“Seven.” I answered.

“I’ll pick you up at 6:30.” He informed me.

“Okay.” I said. An awkward silence passed; neither of us could think of something to say. We just kept walking.

In the distance, I saw a familiar mop of shaggy brown and gray hair. He was walking our way, and as he came into focus, my stomach dropped. No. Freaking. Way.

“Lets get something to eat.” I suggested, yanking on Rob’s hand and sharply turning us the other way. I hoped my dad didn’t see us.

“There’s a Joe’s Hotdogs back there.” He said, pointing behind me.

“I don’t like hotdogs.” I lied.

“Then lets go to that steak place.”

“I don’t-” I was cut off when I felt a hand grasp my shoulder. I didn’t have to turn around to know who it was. But Rob did.

We both whipped around and glared at the man who tore my family apart so many years ago.

“Who did you chose?” I asked.

“Karen.” He answered and a tear rolled down my cheek. I cursed under my breath at the fact my dad just showed up and made me cry on my date. “But I-”

“Lets go Rob.” I hissed, pulling us out of the mall. My dad didn’t even come after us, and I was happy about it.

The more I thought about what just happened, the more tears started to roll down my face.

“Let’s go.” I whispered, not looking at Rob. I didn’t want him to see me this way. I released his hand to wipe my tears with my sleeve. I knew my makeup was running and it was probably everywhere by now.

Rob wrapped an arm around my waist, a feeling I was unfamiliar with, and walked me to his car. I leaned on him for support because my legs felt like Jell-O. Once we arrived at his car, he opened the door for me and I stepped in, buckling myself as he came around and entered through the other door. He turned to me and I turned to the window.

“Who was that?” Rob asked.

I said nothing.

“What was that about?” He tried again.

Silence.

“Should I be worried?”

I stayed quiet. Rob placed a finger on my chin and turned my head toward him. He looked into my eyes, unphased by my smeared makeup.

“Cara.” He started. “I really like you. I’m not going to give up on you for something like this. I don’t care if you have older friends, or if you’re family is psycho, or whatever that just was. Just talk to me, please? Tell me what’s going on.” He gripped my face now, ensuring that I wouldn’t just turn away.

“It was my dad.” I sighed. “We got in a fight a while back.” I explained. I told him the rest of what happened over Christmas break, bringing back all the memories I’d tried to suppress.

Rob pulled my face to his and planted a kiss on my lips. I didn’t pull away. I kissed back and melted into him, drifting off into a land of bliss.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I haven't updated lately...I know, every mibbaer's (mibber's?) excuse. But I've been sick on and off, and I've had two major tests and a final this month. And it's not like I just have a laptop I can go on after doing my homework and write, write, write. I am allowed one hour on the computer on weekdays and two on weekends. And sometimes I have to wait for my brother to get off. And one more thing...sorry this chapter was so crappy. I've had really bad writer's block with this story lately...and if you could comment or message me what you think, that'd make my day or possibly week. I love getting feedback.

Songs of the day:
Must Have Done Something Right - Relient K
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejkkfntmUTU

Nobody Puts Baby In The Corner - Fall Out Boy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDpkyAf7_b8