Status: Done! Please comment! Working on the sequel!

Just a Girl

Just a Girl (Final Chapter)

The Valentines Day dance. I think it was an understatement to say that I wasn’t happy about going. I couldn’t believe I let myself be fooled by Rob’s charm, him asking me to the dance, giving me a ring, and comforting me in the car after my unreasonable mental breakdown. But here I was, in the middle of my room, Mindy helping me zip up my dress that she, Sophie and Erin had helped me pick out.

I stared at myself in the mirror. An unrecognizable girl stared back at me with a lightly painted face. Her sandy blonde hair was put into loose curls with the help of Mindy, and on her feet were a pair of black heels. I’d never worn a pair of heels before, well at least not ones that were so high . Her dress was blood-red. It was tight around her torso, showing off the curves she never knew she had, and hung loosely at her hips. It only went to above her knee, which she was a but uncomfortable with, but then she’d decided to throw all caution to the wind, and just have fun. And the last accessory, the locket Nate had given her, hung around her neck.

I looked over to Mindy, looking even more beautiful. Her long, chocolate brown hair was pinned up into an up-do. Her dress, a violet colour, was floor length. It had tiny roses, a deeper shade of purple, lining the top. Under her dress, she wore a pair of black heels, identical to mine. We got them on sale, buy one, get one free, so we split the cost of one pair. I knew I was only going to wear them once, so why spend a fortune?

“You look…hot.” Mindy said after pulling away from zipping up my dress and eyeing me.

I blushed nearly the same shade as my dress.

“Thanks.” I replied. “You too.”

I could tell a light blush was creeping onto her cheeks, but she hung her head before I could see it.

I heard a knock at the door and my stomach dropped. Our dates. Andrew and Rob car-pooled. Rob decided it would be a good idea, with the band’s van. But Andrew suggested that we also pick Zeke and his date up, since he lived next door. It hurt, and Andrew knew it. He knew we were fighting.

I linked my arm with Mindy’s and we exited my room, taking the stairs carefully in our heels. I eyed Rob. He had a black dress shirt with a tie that matched my dress. Under that, was a pair of denim skinny jeans and plain black converse.

Once at the bottom of the stairs, I released Mindy and we each went to our dates. Rob stared down at me in shock, which made me a bit self-conscious.

“You look amazing.” He gasped.

“And you look…handsome.” I choked out a response.

“Lets go.” Andrew said as we exited my front door. I grabbed my North Face off the hook before I stepped out into the winter air. I wrapped my jacket around me tightly and we all got into Rob’s van. Us in front, Andrew and Mindy behind us, and Zeke and his date behind them, in the very back.

I chuckled evilly to myself at the fact that they didn’t get seats.

The ride to the dance seemed like it took hours, when in reality it only took about 20 minutes. An awkward silence had settled over the van about 5 minutes in.

“We’re here.” Rob announced as we came to a stop in the school’s parking lot.

There was a chorus of cheers, but I stayed silent, arms crossed over my chest. I opened the door and stepped out of the van. I should have know this would happen, and I should’ve been more careful, but my heeled foot slipped and I landed face first in the snow. For the second time in such a short period.

I felt myself being roughly lifted, and I could tell it wasn’t Rob. The hands were familiar. Once I was back standing, I turned around and I was absorbed in those electric blue eyes I’d missed so much.

“Thanks.” I mumbled as a deep blush made it’s way back onto my cheeks.

He didn’t say anything, but went back to his date, Karen Sue, I recognized her. Her red hair was put up into a high ponytail and her dress, a deep shade of blue, went just below her knees.

***

“Want a drink?” Rob asked over the pounding music and other yelling couples.

“Someone probably spiked the punch.” I said, shaking my head. “I’ll pass, but you go ahead.”

He nodded and went over to get some punch. I watched him until he disappeared in the crowd. He came back a few minutes later, hand in hand with Mindy.

“Andrew’s looking for you. He’s over by the punch.” Rob told me.

I walked past him, ‘accidentally’ slamming my shoulder into his. I stalked my way over to the refreshments table and spotted Andrew.

“Hey.” He deadpanned.

“What’s wrong?” I asked, equally as unenthusiastic.

“Rob stole Mindy from me. He demanded that we dance with each other’s dates.” He looked down at his shoes, hands shoved in the pockets of his baggy jeans. “Not that I mind dancing with you.” He added quickly, looking up at me. “It’s him that I mind. Dancing with my date.”

“I know. I was kinda pissed when I saw him coming over to the dance with Mindy, holding hands .” I growled.

“Yeah, and she was more than happy to comply.” Andrew looked over at the crowd. Probably trying to spot our dates.

“Well, let’s dance.” I said, trying to perk up. It’d been a long time since Andrew and I had held a wholesome conversation, especially since I now sat with Erin and Travis at lunch.

“Lets.” He agreed, taking my hand and leading me onto the dance floor.

Once we’d found a spot amidst the dancing couples, Andrew placed his hands lightly at my hips, probably aware of how uncomfortable it’d make me. I placed my hands around his neck, interlocking in back.

A slow song came on and the dancing bodies around us slowed and starting swaying. Andrew lead my hips, back and forth, back and forth.

“I think it’s time for you to find another boyfriend.” He cringed, looking with wide eyes behind me.

My head whipped around, sending my hair probably flying into Andrew’s face. But I didn’t care. I stared intently at my boyfriend who’s lips were locked with Karen Sue’s. I couldn’t help the tears that started pouring violently out of my eyes. I pressed my face into Andrew’s chest, wrapping my arms around his waist.

“He’s not worth crying over, Cara.” Andrew whispered into my ear.

“I know.” I sniffled, pulling my head away to stare up at him.

“As your best friend since kindergarten, I’m telling you that you need to dump his sorry ass this instant.” He said, turning me around to face him.

I hesitated before anger bubbled up in me. I marched over to him, tapping on his shoulder. He pulled away from Karen Sue, he lipstick smeared unattractively across both their faces.

“Cara, it’s not what it-,”

“It’s not what it looks like. I know. It never is, is it?” I practically screamed the last part. “Goodbye Rob.” I sobbed, ripping my ring off and placing it in his hand.

I ran out of the building as fast as my heels would allow. I pushed open the heavy door to the outside world and collapsed as soon as I was out.

I couldn’t believe that a boy had done this to me. Reduced me to an innocent girl, crying on the sidewalk outside my school. But this time, there was no one to comfort me. The only comfort I had left had been completely pushed out of my life.

I heard the door open and I felt a heat rise to me cheeks. I hoped it wasn’t anyone I knew.

“Cara.” I heard a familiar voice gasp.

I looked up to see my favourite blue eyes staring down at me in concern.

“I’m so sorry.” He whispered, dropping down to the ground next to me. I felt him drape his jacket over my shivering body; I’d left mine in the school.

“For what?” I asked through my tears.

“I do care.” He explained. “I never should have said that, I’ll always care.” I felt those comforting arms wrap around me. “And I’m sorry you’re boyfriend did that to you.”

“I should’ve listened to you.” I sobbed, leaning my head on his shoulder. “It’s my fault, don’t be sorry. I’m sorry that you lost your date to the wrath of mine.”

“Don’t be. I didn’t really like her that much anyway.” He sighed resting his head on mine. “The one I really feel bad for is Rob.”

“Why?!”

“He just let go of the most amazing girl in the world.” He explained. “Any guy would be lucky to have her.”

Yet another blush made it’s way onto my face, no matter how much I tried to push it back.

I looked up to Zeke, his electric blue eyes piercing mine. And before I knew what was happening, he pressed his lips to mine. I kissed back, melting into him, not realizing what I was doing. But I liked it. I felt my lip ring being pressed against my gums at the pressure between our lips.

Zeke pulled away first, shock written all over his face. Then it turned to relief.

“Cara Harrison, I’m in love with you.” He admitted.

I didn’t know what to say… I didn’t exactly love him, but I thought I could.

“You probably don’t love me back. And that’s okay. As long as you let me show you what real love is like.”

“Deal.” I laughed, wiping my tears.

“It consists of a lot of this.” He said, leaning back down and pressing his lips to mine.

And I sat there, kissing back. I was so glad there wasn’t much pressure in my life at this moment. I let go of all worry and let myself loose. In this moment, I was just a girl.
♠ ♠ ♠
That's all folks! Do you hate me? Love me? You knew Cara and Zeke were going to end up together, didn't you? I mean, come on...

Comments please!! Let me know what you thought! And also, ideas for the sequel are open, though its mostly planned out already.

Check out my friend's profile who's doing the sequel with me!
http://member.mibba.com/225081/

Songs of the day:
You're Not Sorry - Taylor Swift
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BabmBHVfSW0

Lucky - Jason Mraz & Colbie Caillat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acvIVA9-FMQ
(The songs actually go with the chapter!!)