Status: Done! Please comment! Working on the sequel!

Just a Girl

Just a Girl (8)

A few days had passed since Andrew’s accident and he was able to come home. During the days he was at the hospital, Zeke and I had taken turns picking each other up and driving to the hospital to visit him. Mindy and his mom were also frequent visitors.

This week at school would be a blow-off week because it was the week before winter break. I was getting so excited for the ski trip. This would be the first time I had gone on vacation with my friends.

Zeke had informed me that we would leave on Saturday and I would ride with him, Andrew, and Sophie. He also told me that I would need a heavy coat, and clothes for a week. I asked my mom about going and she was perfectly fine with it.

It was Friday and Andrew and I were walking to Spanish, when Zeke showed up next to me.

“Where are you headed?” I asked.

“Spanish.” He smirked.

“But you aren’t in Spanish…” I said, confused.

“I am now.” He said.

“Why?” Andrew asked.

“I switched.”

“Well, duh, but why did you switch?” I asked.

“Because it seems more fun than Woodshop. Mr. Lipson is really mean, and he has a huge mole on his cheek. It’s so distracting, I stare at it while he is talking and then I never know what’s going on.”

I giggled. “That’s kind of gross.” I said.

“Yeah.” He said as we walked through the door.

“Hola, Zeke.” Se ñora Salas said as Zeke walked in.

“Hola Se ñora Salas.” He replied and then sat in the only empty seat left in the room.

Class dragged on and on. We learned about agreeing adjectives. But when class did end, and the bell rang, I hopped up quickly and stuffed all my things in my backpack. I headed out the door followed by Andrew and Zeke.

“Are you guys excited for tomorrow?” I asked.

“Yes!” They both answered at the same time.

“Me too.” I agreed.

“I’ll be over at your house at around ten to pick you up. We should arrive in Gulliver, that’s where we’re staying, about six hours later. So about four. When we get there we’ll unpack our stuff and get settled, then go to dinner.” Zeke told me.

The more we talked about it, the more excited I was.

Zeke drove me home. He stopped at my driveway and as I was reaching for the door, all the locks were sucked into the door, a signal to me that the car was locked. I turned to Zeke and gave him a disapproving look.

“Yes?” I asked.

“Uh…never mind.” Zeke said, unlocking the door.

“Well bye, see you tomorrow.” I said as I pulled the handle on my door and stepped out of the car into the freezing winter air. I starting walking up my driveway and Zeke honked in response. I made my way into my house and locked the door behind me.

I stepped into my living room and my mom wasn’t there. I headed for the kitchen, praying that my mother wasn’t trying to cook dinner. We’d end up getting food poisoning, and I couldn’t have that right before my ski trip.

But when I got in there I could see that she was just on the phone. She concluded her conversation and set the phone down on the counter.

“Hi, mom.” I greeted her.

“Oh, hi honey.” She said. She sounded a little out of it.

“Is something wrong?” I asked, concerned.

“Your father wants you for Christmas. I figured I should ask you if you wanted to see him, because I don’t want you to be denied of your father just because I don’t want to see him.”

My insides jumped for joy and twisted with anger at the same time. Why did it take so long to ask? He could have visited! He just took off on me and my mom and now he wants to wriggle his way back into my life. But on the flip side, he did want to see me. Maybe he just wanted a second chance, and I should let him into my life.

“Well…” I bit my lip.

“Don’t worry about me honey. If that’s what’s stopping you, I’m going over to your aunt’s house for Christmas.” She said with a small smile.

“Then…” I hesitated. “I want to go to daddy’s house for Christmas.”

“Well, you’ll have to leave the day after you get back from your ski trip. Can you handle that?” She asked.

“Of course! I love road trips.” I answered.

“Okay.” She said. “It’s settled. I’ll call your father back and tell him the news.”

“What’s for dinner?” I asked, changing the subject.

“Actually, Zeke’s mom invited us over for dinner. That way I could get to know the boy you will be spending a week with.”

“I’m not just spending it with him though.” I told her.

“Yes, but this young man is the one driving you, correct?” She asked.

“Yeah…” I said.

“I need to see if he is responsible.”

“Fine.” I sighed.

“Go get dressed, we are supposed to be over there in fifteen minutes.” She said.

“Fine.” I grumbled. This was just going to be horribly awkward. No good could possible come of this.

I walked up to my room and shut the door behind me. What did I wear? I didn’t have anything that was fancy or something that you’d wear to a dinner at your friend’s house.

I searched through my closet and finally decided on a light pair of blue jeans and a black tank top with my cream colored cardigan.

When I got downstairs I slipped my black converse on and grabbed my mom. We headed out the door and over to our neighbor’s house.