Status: Up and Running.

Rat Race

A One up on the One up

“You’ll never guess what I just heard.” Aaliyah hissed as she slid into her seat, next to Rosalynn in their math class.

“What’s that?” Rosalynn drawled, bored as she stared into her compact, fixing her makeup.

“It turns out that that Barbie girl you were talking about…” she lingered, hoping to draw on the suspicion. When Rosalynn didn’t take the bait and continued what she was doing, Aaliyah sighed and rolled her eyes. “She’s friends with Briar Lombardi!”

Rosalynn glanced at her friend, annoyed. “And? Who isn’t friends with her? Her dad is Milo Lombardi and her mom is Bianca Asher.” She looked back into her compact and sighed like Aaliyah had. “It’s kind of hard not to gain friends when you have those parents.”

“I know!” Aaliyah screeched silently, under the radar of Mr. Clang, their math teacher. “But this is part of the reason I was late.”

“You’re always late. And the fact that they’re friends is the reason why you were late?” Rosalynn raised an eyebrow.

No. What I heard is the reason why I’m late.”

“Well, please don’t keep me in suspense any longer. I can’t bear it.” Rosalynn said mockingly.

“Well I was walking past the girl’s bathroom in the sophomore hall when I heard talking. And you know how I love gossip,” Rosalynn nodded. “So I stopped and listened. And normally I don’t because- who the fuck cares what the sophomores are talking about? But anyways, I peeked into the bathroom and saw them talking and that girl was ranting about something. And then Briar was like, ‘OMG, Rosalynn better watch out for what’s coming for her!’” Aaliyah finished in a high-pitched voice that sounded nothing like Briar’s. She waited, in anticipation to see what her friend’s reaction would be.

Rosalynn snapped her compact closed and turned to look at Aaliyah. “That Two-Faced Little Bitch.” She said in her calm way. Aaliyah nodded and bit her lip. “It makes since, though. Barbie is too stupid to come up with something like this. Of course Lombardi would be the brains behind this…” she contemplated that for a second and then her eyes lit up and she looked at Aaliyah again. “You know… I am having dinner with her and her parents in a couple of nights because they’re coming to town for the weekend.” Her eyes took a far-away look as she weaved plans in her brain. She smiled mischievously. “I’m gonna expose my darling cousin for the little liar she really is.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hmm... something's going down! Comment puh-leez!!