Status: Work in Progress

Holding Someone's Hair Back

11/1

-Cadence-

I had the bed sheets wrapped around my body. I walked over to our bedroom window and looked out at the wet street and the gray sky. Our bedroom was pretty dark for what kind of weather this is. I sighed and averted my attention to watch my breath fog up against a small portion of the window and fade away within a few seconds. I smiled and continued to stare outside. Vic was sound asleep in that pleasant way of his, not even aware that I climbed out of bed just to stare out the window. That's what I always did on days like these, aside from cuddling up to a pillow while I sipped a hot cup of tea and ate what ever pastries I had in the house. It helped to get a lot off my mind for a great deal of time. I enjoyed these days very much.

I shivered and brought the sheet around my shoulders. I turned around and stared at Vic. I smiled at his face. He was gorgeous. I walked over and lied back beside him. He stirred in bed until his eyes opened and he was looking back at me through the evident sleep in his eyes.

"Good morning." he whispered.

"Good afternoon." I corrected. He yawned and stretched his arms above his head. I smiled and straddled his waist. He placed his hands on mine and sat up. I planted a kiss on his lips and took him in my arms. His body was warm against mine. We sat like that for a few minutes, enjoying each other's quiet company until there was knock at the door.

"I'll get it." I said and gave him a kiss before getting out of bed. I felt his eyes watching me as I put on the shorts and shirt I'd been wearing yesterday. I glanced at him and he lied back down with a smirk on his. I laughed and headed down stairs. The knocking was very loud, almost like a banging against the door. I hurried to it and wasted no time in throwing it open, only to be met with Mike... and his parents. My face dropped I was beginning to stutter as I greeted the three of them.

"W-what are you, what are you doing here? I mean, shit. H-hi?"

"Really?" Mike said. I glared at him and pushed him back. I apologized to his parents for almost knocking them over with their son. I closed the door and examined their faces. Vivian was nearly in Tears and Victor Sr. was, I don't know. But something was wrong with the two of them and I can guarantee that it had something to do with Vic.

Before I could say anything else the door opened and Vic came out behind me.

"Cadence you alright?" he asked. He hadn't even looked up yet. Not until a gasp came from his mother.

"Victor," she said.

-#-

The five of us were scattered about the living room. Mike leaned against the wall closest to the kitchen. Vivian and her husband sat on the sofa closest to Mike and Vic sat in his chair with me standing next to him. Vivian's eyes were red from crying so much and Victor Sr. had his arms wrapped around his wife in an attempt to calm her down. Mike and I were busy yelling at each other from our spots while everyone else just watched and listened.

"This wasn't my responsibility Cadence!" Mike yelled.

"Then what the fuck is going on now!?" I yelled back. "Why did you come over here if it wasn't your damn responsibility Michael?!"

"It fucking wasn't! They came to me because they wanted to see their son!"

"Now?!"

"Cadence." Vic said grabbing my hand. I snatched it away and continued to yell.

"Why now?! Why not earlier?!"

"Cadence please."

"Why didn't they come when we needed them?! When Vic was gone, why didn't they come to make sure that I was okay?" I asked beginning to cry. "Why the hell do they or anyone else give a shit all of a sudden? I did everything for him, and none of you helped!"

"Cadence stop." Vic whispered as he pulled me into him. I was still glaring at Mike over Vic's shoulder and Mike just shook his head.

"They did everything they could have done for him! We all did, so don't give them or me that bullshit because it isn't fair!"

"Fuck you!" I yelled.

"Cadence!"

"Fuck you!" Mike yelled back. "They went to see him. And you know what happened? He wasn't fucking there!"

Vic sighed as he held me back in his arms. Hearing this was beginning to upset him and I can feel it in how he was holding me. "Just let it go." he said.

"He was here!" Mike continued. "He didn't even go and see mom and dad! He hadn't bothered to talk to anyone but you!"

"Because he couldn't!" I shouted trying to push Vic off of me. I was pissed. I was livid and him holding me wasn't making me feel any better. I pushed and continued to yell at Mike while Vic kept telling me to stop or calm down and struggled to keep me in place. I finally broke free and let Mike have it. I picked up a frame and threw it at him. He got out of the way and looked at me.

"What the fuck Cadence!"

"He wasn't fucking ready yet!"

"That's no excuse!" Victor said. Mike and I stopped to look at him as he went on. "We should have been the first to know instead of finding out at the hospital. A week Victor. A week and you couldn't come and see us? When were you going to come, huh? Your mother has been worried about you and now she's hurt because you'd never came to see her."

"Well what's-"

"Stop!" Vic yelled. He pulled me back and held me in front of him. His hands cupped my face and looked into my eyes as he said, "You need, to stop."

I starred back at him, still angry and shook my head.

-Vic-

It was quiet now except for the sound of my voice as I told them what was going on. I could still see the disappointment in my fathers' face. My mother's was a mix of disappointment and understanding. It made me smile inside. She was always so forgiving.

"You guys were so upset with me. I wanted to come and see you but, I just needed some time."

"But why couldn't you just call us Victor?"

"I'd just figured that, ma I just. I just needed some time. I'm still trying to get used to being home."

"It doesn't seem to be taking you that long." Mike said. I brushed him off and continued talking. "I wanted to come after I fixed things with everyone else. I had wanted to talk about something with all of you once everything was alright, or something close to it." I said with a nervous laugh at the end.

"Well what is it?" my father asked. I opened my mouth to speak but was stopped by my mother.

"Not right now Victor." I shook my head and smiled at her. " You and your brother have to clear this up first." she said getting up. I stood up with the both of them and walked them to the door.

"I'm sorry." I said as hugged the both of them. My dad headed outside with out another look from me.

My mom sighed. "Don't mind him Victor." she said touching my cheek. I smiled at her. "He'll come around soon."

"Yeah." I said.

"Victor, please. Okay?"

I grabbed her hand and kissed it. "I promise ma. I'm sorry." I said again. She wrapped me in her arms and gave me a the most comfortable hug. I wrapped my arms around her. I buried my face in her neck and closed my eyes. My heart was renewed yet again. My mother still loved me. She forgave me for all that I'd done to her. I've missed her more than I thought I did. I missed being in her arms and seeing her face. I missed hearing her voice. It felt amazing to have her hold me again. I didn't want it to start like this, it did so I'll take it any way that I can.

She patted my back and held me in front of her. She took one last look before she walked out of the apartment and met with her husband. I waved goodbye and shut the door. Walking back into the living room, cadence and Mike were still at there respective corners. Their faces and positions hadn't changed.It was tense and heavy. What ever they had between them wasn't good and it didn't seem like it would get any better. Mike was always angrier with me. But there was something about Cadence that bothered him so much and I can't wrap my head around it. And Cadence, oh god that girl can hold a grudge.