Status: New

The Entertainment

Chapter 28 part 2: Promises and Regrets

Author’s Note: I apologize again for the length of time it took to write this out. I’ll probably be back to edit it, as this draft was written simply to complete the story. Hope it will answer your remaining questions, as well as wrap the story up (finally) in the best possible manner. You’re comments are appreciated! Be sure to check out my new story Grimoire Girl.

The Entertainment Chapter 28 part 2 © 2011 by SheaRyhai

Promises and Regrets

The salty sea air swept freely from the open balcony into the wide spacious living room. It ruffled against the hair of the guard who stood watch, stiff as a statue with blank dark sunglasses against his tight face. His frame shifted every so slightly as the door opened, and a tall man with graying hair, a polished ivory cane in one hand, and a cigar in the other, entered the room.

Nicoli DiNapoli looked tired and aged beyond his years. The guard bowed his head respectfully, and moved to close the door behind his boss, but Mr. Green appeared in the door way and waved him back to the window.

“What is this interesting package?” Nicoli barked, taking a seat on the white leather couch by a black oak desk. As DiNapoli sank into the cushion his face seemed to relax, no doubt relief from the pain in his back caused by an old bullet wound.

“I have it here,” Green offered, withdrawing the thin DVD disc from its case.

“Can’t be more interesting then the last present your new master sent me,” Nicoli muttered with a faint approving smile at the memory of Connor’s head.

Deciding silence was best answer for now, Green walked up to the large 51 inch plasma TV, and slipped the disc inside. Finding the controls beside the TV, he stepped back and pressed play.

A maid appeared, slipping silently into the room with a large glass of chilled tea that Nicoli took before waiving her away. The screen came to life with a TV report.

‘A week after the terrible disappearance of Connor Murray, the acting world is still reeling and asking questions. When his car was discovered last Tuesday at the edge of a bridge, more questions and dark secrets came to light. According to unnamed sources, Murray was struggling with depression due to the as yet still unknown fiance, who broke off their engagement. Some more positive friends are inclined to believe, “Connor just needs some time to himself, he’ll be back among us soon.”

In the mean time his absence was felt most keenly by directors Ron and Ed Slimmer, who were forced to postpone their Scy-fi Thriller ‘Day of Doom’. Fellow actor and colleague of Connor, Dylan Cruz, is rumored to be taking the part.

Fans of Dylan Cruz, who were surprised at his sudden return to acting after a two year break, look forward eagerly to seeing him act. When asked if Dylan was capable of jumping back into the entertainment industry, his old sweetheart, and current Director of ‘Don’t Mess with Sally’, Julia More had this to say.

“Dylan is more then capable of performing any role he chooses. That he has taken on a second movie shows his commitment and determination to act. I think we will see a deeper level of acting from him now, as opposed to his earlier movies.”

With the support of Julia and his fans, Dylan will begin filming for ‘Don’t Mess with Sally’ next week. He will be joined by new and old friends, and even his younger brother, voted Hollywood’s sexiest teen actor, Jordan Cruz.

There has been a lot of rumors circulating over who will play the lead female role of Sally. ‘The hot and dangerous teen mafia princess, who drops men and hearts with a smile.’ Popular teen actress, Arianna Hughes, has declined the role due to personal medical reasons. She was last seen leaving St. marry’s Hospital and there are a few rumors going around that she may be pregnant.

Julia declined to answer who will replace Arianna for this high budge action packed movie. But Jordan Cruz had something to share with us this morning. “Julia already knows the perfect girl for this role,” he tells us with a curious wink. Although he refuses to name the lucky actress, we have reason to believe ‘she’ may be the new sensation, Salina White.

Salina acted with Arianna Hughes in ‘Love Unexpected’ along side Jordan Cruz. The movie is due out in theaters in two weeks, but has already received good ratings. Director Peterson, who directed this love story gone wrong, was also a mentor for Julia More. It may be possible this was whenSalina caught her eye for the role of Sally.

We were all shocked last week when Arthur Hughes announced Salina White’s engagement to his son and heir, Xavier Hughes. We were even more surprised when Xavier came forward with a brief announcement that the engagement had already been broken off.

“Salina is a very special girl, who is just starting into a promising career. As much as it pains me, I would rather support her as a friend then burden her with my heart at such a crucial time.”

Well I don’t have to tell you how surprised we were to see this side of Hollywood’s Bad-But Drop Dead Sexy, Singer. As a member of Xavier’s band put it. “Salina must be an incredible person to have cracked his armor and brought about such a huge change.”

There was no comment from Salina White’s manager about the break up. Salina is currently on holiday at an undisclosed location, due to a slight accident on set. We were assured by Arthur Hughes that she is fine and in good spirits, and will be back to dazzle us with more acting soon enough.

I’m Jessica Martin, and this is ‘Stars Among Us’ weekly update.’

Green pressed stop, and turned to await Nocli’s response. The tired man’s eyes held a spark of interest, as he finished off his ice tea before speaking.

“And what is it exactly young Hughes intends to accomplish? He’s already broken off the engagement,” Nicoli questioned.

“He can answer that better himself,” Green smiled, nodding to the guard as a knock came from the door. Nicoli raised and eyebrow but gave his nod of approval for the man to open it. Xavier Hughes entered and walked confidently to stand before Nicoli DiNapoli. Their eyes locked in a few minutes of straining silence as they evaluated each other.

“You have guts boy, I’ll give you that, and if your uncle is a testament enough, the will to perform necessary tasks,” Nicoli observed dryly. “When your father left our business years ago, my father swore the Hughes were as good as dead to our family. Then Johnny fell apart, and it was your father who kept him safe and happy until his untimely death. And now I have you to thank for the justice and closure that has been denied me the past ten years.”

“I found my own sense of justice with his death,” Xavier returned evenly, expression unreadable, as he examine the feared mafia boss curiously.

“So I’ve heard. Bastard killed your mother,” Nicoli shook his head with disgust. “But what is it you want now? I assume since you’ve come all this way it’s something only I can give you.”

“I want what my father threw away,” Xavier answered grimly, chin locked with determined pride. A brief smile of appreciation crossed Nicoli’s face, and he stood, leaning on his expensive cane, to stare the young man eye to eye.

“If it wasn’t for the rumor about Arthur’s son being gay, someone would have probably taken you out years ago to prevent such a request from being heard,” Nicoli nodded glancing past Xavier to Green with a knowing look. “And now that you can ask for my protection to prevent such action from being taken - you instead want to jump into the lions den. Why?”

“There is a lot to be gained in your world that can’t be found in mine,” Xavier answered carefully.

“And your interest in my niece? How does that align with your plans?” Nicoli demanded coolly, seemingly satisfied with the answer.

“You are in need of a successor,” Xavier answered bluntly. Green stiffened ever so slightly behind them, as Nicoli frowned heavily then walked stiffly towards the open balcony. Throwing young Hughes a cautionary look, Green moved to follow his old master, but stopped when sudden laughter washed over both of them from the window.

Nicoli turned around, standing straighter, and looking suddenly younger.

“You want me to return your father’s portion of the business, and you intend to wed Salina and inherit mine?” Nicoli affirmed looking pleased. “I may owe you for Connor’s death, your father’s business would be easy enough to hand over, but how long would you survive against the other families?” He tapped his cane into the floor and the body guard moved to fetch him a fresh cigar and a lighter. “I’m not inclined to hand over my niece to a man with such dangerous ambitions, let alone for nothing,” Nicoli continued after a few puffs of smoke.

“I am prepared to grant whatever request you have for me,” Xavier stated determinedly, facing the mafia boss, shoulders square.

Nicoli smiled a slow cold smile.

“Bring me Pandora’s Box, and I’ll give my blessing,” DiNapoli ordered through gritted teeth.

Xavier returned the cold smile, ignoring the worried look on Green’s face.

“It would be my pleasure, Father,” Xavier promised boldly.

Nicoli smiled with faint amusement, before waving them both away. Green grabbed Xavier’s arm, moving him quickly out of the room.

The guard escorted them as far as the front lawn where Xavier’s helicopter waited.

“Are you crazy,” Green hissed when they were alone.

“Perhaps a little,” Xavier smiled calmly. “I have a score to settle with Gavin Persico, but this way, I’ll be killing two birds with one stone.”

“If getting to Pandora’s Box was such a simple matter, don’t you think the other mafia families would have finished him off ages ago,” Green growled, waving for the helicopter pilot to start the engine as the boarded.

“But we know his achilles heel,” Xavier explained patiently taking his seat, mind already swarming with possible ways to weaken the ties between Salina and Gavin. After all he still had an Ace card up his sleeve yet to play, at the right moment.

“Even if we could use her against him, how are you going to convince her to marry you after destroying the man she cares about?” Green sighed. They both adjusted their seatbelts moments before the chopper lifted off the landing pad. With a knowing smile, Xavier leaned forward, motioning Green closer.

“We’ll make her hate him,” Xavier shouted over the helicopters deafening blades.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Dylan Cruz walked tiredly into his apartment, most of the floor filled with boxes he had yet to unpack. Tossing his keys into the bowl on a near by table, he stumbled, noticing the mail under his feet. After picking up the stack of letters, most from fans Julie must have thought important enough for him to answer personally, he moved through the cluttered living room to the small kitchen.

At least Jordan will be happy to have his own space again.

Julia had found the apartment, say it was for the best, as she couldn’t have them arguing while on set. Though the brothers were already back on peaceful terms, she was determined to avoid a repeated scenario. And perhaps she was right, Dylan conceded. After two years being on his own, maybe Jordan needed his personal space.

With a sigh Dylan sorted through the letters out of habit more then interest. Tomorrow he would worry about what to write back. His hands froze on the simple white letter, eyes locked on the address where only a name was written.

‘Jackie Black’

Fingers trembling slightly he dropped the other letters back on the floor, quickly tearing open the envelope. The letter began simply enough:

‘To Dylan Cruz

I’m sorry..

Years ago I blamed you for something that wasn’t your fault. I said horrible things to you that I now regret. I am writing now because I have just learned the true facts behind my fathers death, and felt you had the right to know this much as well.

It wasn’t your fault.

I know you’ve held onto the guilt, that’s why you stopped acting for so long. At one point I thought even that wasn’t enough from you, now I can only hope you’ll forgive me for the anger I unjustly placed on your shoulders.

I am sorry.. Truly, and regretfully, sorry.

Jackie’
♠ ♠ ♠
Took long enough I know. I had some personal drama to deal with...that made it impossible to focus and write. I hope this chapter will make up for that :)

Possible sequel. Would you be interested in reading more?