Status: In progress - COMMENTS = CHAPTERS

Double Dare

Chapter 23

A couple of days later, I wasn't really on speaking terms with anyone. Draco and Tempest were really the only ones I'd really talk to, but they were too loved up to pay me attention. I didn't want to be around Celeste and the twins, Severus was getting on my nerves, I was basically alone. I spent most of my time in the library to do a bit of revision for the end of year exams. The only person I saw regularly was Hermione Granger, and we weren't particularly friendly with each other. I was musing over a Potions book when there was a loud thud in front of me. Hermione had dropped a large copy of 'One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi' on the table in front of me and sat herself down.

"Revising?"

I looked at her sceptically; "uh, yeah?"

"I always think it's good to get a head start. What are you reading?"

I continued my sceptical look as I held up the book so she could read the cover.

"I can't see why you'd need to revise Potions, I hear you're very good at it. I used to be, but for some reason this year everything seems to go wrong, how are you with Herbology?"

I shrugged; "um, I'm ok..."

"We should swap notes, maximise our potential!"

"Um...Ok?"

"Sorry, I'm being quite forward aren't I. I know we've not previously seen eye to eye, but I really have no problem with you. And I do think we'll both get more out of our revision if we work together"

"Oh, ok..."

She turned her book round and pushed it in front of the chair on my left before scurrying round the desk and sitting next to me. We got a surprising amount of work done in our spare three hours. She helped me understand things in Herbology I wasn't before, I showed her some of the mistakes in the book, and we both did our Ancient Runes homework.

"When's your next free period?" Hermione asked, packing her books away.

"Um, Thursday morning"

Hermione stopped packing; "oh, I have the afternoon...How about Saturday?"

"What time?"

"Morning, no ones really up in the morning"

"Yeah, sure"

She smiled and finished packing her bag, as did I. We both walked as far as the middle of our common rooms before going to our respective houses. On the way I bumped into Celeste, Neville, Dean and Seamus. They all glared and began whispering as they passed me. I rolled my eyes and carried on. The common room was strangely empty. I sat by the fire and did a bit more revision. I was alone for quite a while until I heard someone come in. I didn't feel the need to see who it was and kept my eyes fixed on the words in my book.

"Avoiding me?"

I looked up, Snape was stood in front of me, his arms folded. I looked back down at my book.

"Should you be here?"

"I'm allowed wherever I want, now tell me why you're avoiding me"

"...Because you're being an arse. Everyone's being an arse!"

"Everyone being?"

"You! Celeste, Jade, Ruby, Draco to some extent..."

"Have you not noticed that you're a common factor?"

"So it's my fault everyone's acting like dicks?"

He sighed and sat in the chair in front of me; "no, but can you not just be overracting?"

I shrugged; "I could be, but you're now too busy to see me and treat me like a child when you do, the girls all suddenly think they're Gryffindors and as such can treat me like crap, Draco's in love and has no time for me, I'm alone!"

Severus looked around; "we should move this somewhere else"

"I'm busy"

"Please?!"

I sighed loudly and packed my things away. I followed him all the way down to his office, telling myself to not believe whatever 'line' he comes up with, and there's no promise in the world he could keep. He led me through to his room and conjured up the fire. I went and curled up in the armchair and waited to see what he had to say. He looked at me for a few moments before opening his mouth.

"Where's your ring?"

I hoisted up the silver chain which was round my neck, showing off my wedding ring dangling on it, usually hidden by my clothes; "where's yours?"

As soon as he'd asked me I had to check he was wearing his, which he wasn't. He went over to his dresser and picked up a small box.

"It's in here, staying safe"

I snorted and looked at the fire. He sighed and knelt in front of me.

"You've forgotten"

"Forgotten what?"

He tried to catch my eye, but I refused to look in his direction.

"The most important thing of all"

"And that is?"

He cupped my face and made me look at him; "that I love you"

I tried my very hardest to keep a straight face despite the fact I so desperately wanted to smile.

"Even though I don't show it, or tell you enough, I do"

I sighed and looked at the floor; he accepted that as a sign of defeat and pulled me into a hug. I wrapped my arms round his neck and clung onto him like it was the last time I'd ever see him. I could feel my eyes burn, a sensation which felt like my skull was shrinking and compressing my brain, and my throat contract so only the smallest amount of air would get through to my lungs. Before I could tell myself to be a big girl and suck it up, a tear built up in the corner of my right eye before trickling down my cheek. I sniffed to keep the rapidly liquefying mucus inside my nose. Severus pushed me away slightly and smiled sympathetically when he saw the state he'd gotten me into.

"Come here you"

He pulled my head to his chest and stroked my hair and back rhythmically. Instead of trying to calm me down he just let me cry into his chest. After ten or so minutes, my eyes were feeling drier than they'd ever felt. I pulled away so I could rub them and wipe my face with my sleeve. After I'd done Severus held my face and smiled.

"You've red puffy eyes, a runny nose, and a bit of a spot forming, and you're still stunning"

I looked at my feet and smiled; "shut up"

He chuckled and pulled me into an even tighter hug; "does this mean I'm forgiven?"

"For now"

He kissed the top of my head and squeezed me affectionately; "I might not be around all the time for your entertainment, but you can come to me if you've got a problem, even if it's with me. I promise I'll watch how I speak to you; I don't mean to treat you like a child, but sometimes, I'm in grumpy teacher mode"

I accidentally let out a giggle. I looked up and smiled.

"I love you"

He kissed me softly and pushed some hair from my face; "I love you too"

The next day I was feeling a little more chipper. I joined Draco at the Slytherin table.

"Morning"

He smiled; "haven't seen you in a while"

"Well, here I am"

"Very good..."

"How are you and Tempest?"

"Um, working things out...I just don't know how I'm going to tell my father..."

"Tell him she's pureblood?"

"But that makes me look bad to her"

I shrugged and helped myself to some toast; "well...Suck it up? You like her, no one should stand in the way"

"Oh ok Juliet"

I looked at him blankly; "excuse me?"

"You know, Romeo and Juliet...I know, it only really works with Romeo"

"Fair enough"

"So...You and you-know-who made up?"

"Yup, he made me cry"

"The bastard!"

I laughed; "nah, I was feeling vulnerable and he was too sweet for me to handle"

"Yeah, sure"

I pulled him into a playful headlock; "you're a git sometimes"

"I know I know...To make it up...Fancy getting one over on those bitches you used to call your friends?"

"Um..."

"C'mon! They're being so snide, they deserve some form of abuse"

I shrugged; "I'm fine for now"

"Fine...Anyway...Off to meet Tempest before lessons...Coming?"

"Will you two be all...Y'know...?"

He laughed; "nah, we'll lay off it just for you"

"Aww, thank you"

He grinned and pulled me up with him. On our way to meet Tempest we bumped into Hermione. She glared at Malfoy.

"Lenore, can I have a word?"

"Uh, yeah"

Draco glared at the two of us as we walked a couple of feet away.

"I was wondering if Ron could join us revising, he's really stuck with some of his work"

"Uh yeah, sure, will he be up?"

She laughed; "I'll get him up...And, you haven't told Draco we're working together have you?"

"Uh, I was getting round to it, or, just, not tell him..."

"Sorry, I've probably made things a little awkward"

"No, it's fine, I can deal with it. Uh, see you later anyway"

"Bye"

I went back over to Draco who was still glaring; "since when were you friend with her?!"

"Since, we've started revising together...I thought you were turning a corner with the whole blood status thing"

"Uh, not really...It's only Tempest, and even if I started liking mudbloods, not her!"

I sighed; "fine, whatever, c'mon"

I grabbed his arm and yanked him down the corridor. Tempest was sat outside by the fountain, eating an apple. She smiled when she saw us and got up. Draco skipped a couple of steps in front of me and pulled her into a hug. I smiled at how sweet they looked; matching hair, and the same gooey look on their face. I figured this was how Lucius and Narcissa started out, only Narcissa was more sane.

"Hello Lenore"

"Hey Tempest"

Draco kept a firm grip on Tempest's hand as she spoke to me.

"I do have to thank you for meddling Lenore, Draco completes me"

I smiled; "it's no problem, just, spreading the love"

"I knew you meddled" Draco said, rolling his eyes.

"And look where it's got you, you're all in love"

He shrugged and pulled back some of Tempest's hair to kiss her cheek. I smiled and looked round.

"I might let you two...Snuggle for a bit, I'll go read under that tree"

Draco shook his head as I wandered off. I got a book out and pretended to read as Draco and Tempest pushed and pulled each other about, kissing and hugging. Despite being extremely happy for the two of them, I couldn't help feel extremely jealous. I just wished Severus and I could declare our love for each other publicly like they could.