Status: Hiatus

The Aftermath

011 ; Fuel this flame

When I finally noticed the light spreading across the sky, through the holes in the roof, I reluctantly moved away from Gerard. At some point in the night, and I was not sure if it was before or after I stopped crying, I had noticed his heart returning to its steady rhythm and his cheeks regaining the small amount of colour they normally held, at least.

Sitting myself a little away from him, I simply watched him sleep. The ghost from last night had not returned. In a way it startled me for I had no doubt that I had never come across a spirit quite as powerful as him.

On the other hand, I was also convinced that I had never uttered a banishment quite as strong as the one I used to get him away from my brother.

I sighed.

It was a few hours still before Gerard finally woke up. He had been asleep since late in the afternoon the day before, and I was starting to worry slightly. Still, I figured, it might just have something to do with the near-death experience. I reasoned that something like that might be slightly exhausting. Not that I would know, I grinned despite myself, as there was absolutely nothing “near” about my death.

As Gerard sat up, I snapped out of my thoughts. I watched him sadly as his expression grew steadily more upset, figuring he must be reliving the events of yesterday.

His breath suddenly picked up dramatically and I did not even think before I was on my feet moving towards him.

“Gee,” I said silently, knowing it was useless, only to stop dead in my tracks.

He whipped his head towards me, his eyes frozen wide. And again it took me just a little too long to realise that he did not see me. I whimpered.

Slowly, I stepped closer to him, extending my hand to brush it against his cheek. Instants before my glowing skin made contact with his pale one, he got up, however.

He walked away from me quickly.

As he made his way out of the church, I followed him. I followed him through the cemetery and on his way home, only then letting a little more distance come between us. I laughed a little, feeling like some sort of odd stalker, and then sighed. It was not as if I had anything better to do with my time.

As Gerard entered his apartment building, I left him to head around it. Without hesitation I flew to the second story window checking the bedroom first, before perching myself on the windowsill outside the living room.

I watched him, still as a statue, until he made his way to the bedroom a few hours later. Then I stretched my wings to follow him, landing outside his window just in time to see him strip off his T-shirt.

My breath shuddered slightly and I eagerly watched his muscles move under the smooth pale skin. The next second I almost lost my balance on the windowsill, and I had to grip the wall and stretch my wings to regain it. My wings tingled as though a low, harsh currant had run through them.

Peeking in through the window again, I noticed with regret that my brother was gone. To shower, I concluded after pressing my ear against the glass shortly. I sighed, slightly disappointed.

After some contemplation I stretched my wings again, soaring to the ground. They felt fine now. Shaking my head I settled myself in view of the front door, deciding I needed to give my brother a break even if he did not know, I was watching him. Only, at the same time, I agreed with myself that I would not let him leave without following him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Virtual cookies to anybody who guesses (or even comes remotely close to guessing) why I chose this bit of lyrics for this chapter's title!