Status: Hiatus

The Aftermath

009 ; Way down

I had not even moved from the spot where I stood when I realised that Mikey had taken the car and driven to God knew where, when I heard the phone ring.

Hoping, and honestly thinking it was Mikey I ran in a picked it up before the third ring.

“Hello?” I asked, slightly breathless.

“Is this the Way residence?” the voice in the phone questioned as I backed into the couch, sitting down.

“Yes,” I said reluctantly.

“Are you sitting down, sir?” the voice asked softly.

“Yes,” I managed to get out, growing more anxious rapidly.

“I am calling from the hospital. This is about Michael...”

The rest of the conversation was a blur for me. One thing registered though. Get to the hospital. As fast as possible.

It was not till I had turned the key in the ignition that other things the voice on the phone had told me started to register with me. I was already driving down the road when I put it together.

DUI. Car crash. Single accident.

Those words had definitely been mentioned. And here I was, just coming down from a high and very much speeding to get to the hospital. I laughed hysterically before starting to cry.

I was a complete mess by the time I reached the hospital.

The nurse at the reception was nice. She took me to the right place, and showed me the next person to talk to, to be allowed all the way in.

“I-I'm Gerard Way. My brother, Mikey, is here?” I said, shaking.

“Are you his legal guardian?” this nurse asked, unfazed.

“Uh, no,” I muttered.

“Then you'll just have to wait until...”

“But!” I cut her off with a shrill ring to my voice.

“Young man,” she started in a reproaching tone before hesitating, “How old are you?”

“Eighteen,” I answered, not seeing what it had to do with anything.

“I'm sorry,” she said, her expression softening ever so slightly, “but you're a minor in this connection. Your brother is badly hurt, and we cannot allow you to see him without your parents' consent. You'll have to wait.”

“Wait...?” I whispered.

“What is going on here?” someone asked, walking out through the very door I wanted to pass.

“This is the young Mr. Way's brother. I have told him, he will have to wait till his parents arrive before he can go in,” the nurse answered.

“No,” the doctor shook his head, looking to me with an unfathomable expression, “I think you need to go see your brother. Now.

I darted for the door without bothering to reply. I could just hear the nurse's protests, but I did not care for them. Just before the door shut, I heard the doctor silencing her, though.

“His brother won't live till his parents get here,” his voice told her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for the birthday wishes, everyone.

I particularly like this chapter. Especially the end. What do you think?
Next chapter is notably longer. Look forward to it! XP I'm considering shifting to some I'll-update-when-I've-gotten-xx-number-of-comments-scheme. Keyword: considering. Next update will be up Saturday.

Enjoy your night, Anonymous! Be sure to have the time of your life <3