Dead City Lights

All I Ask Of You

"Able." I muttered, as soon as I realized I wasn't going to be getting an answer from him anytime soon. We'd been sitting there for ten minutes in complete silence. I could even hear the chaos outside.

"What?" he asked, looking slightly confused. I sighed, and shook my head.

"My name is Able. Now get up. We need to get out of here." I replied, getting up and looking around for some sort of weapon. I'd dropped my only one back when I'd passed out. There was a fire axe on the ground, surrounded by broken glass. Someone was unsuccessful at trying to get out of here. I grabbed it, swinging it to make sure I could handle to weight.

Zane had gotten up by the time I looked back at him. But at the same time I heard a shriek from behind him. My eyes widened and I pushed him out of the way, bringing the fire axe down on the zombie's head. I got her right between the eyes.

I frowned as her body hit the ground, and pulled the axe out of her head. We had to get out of here. Now. Before a flood came. It was almost like they could smell death. I grabbed onto Zane's wrist and booked it.

"Where the hell are we going?" he snapped, glaring down at me.

"We're getting the hell out of here. I have a place that we can go and be safe for a little while. Long enough to pull everything back together." I said, and sighed. After that he seemed more than willing to run with me.

It felt… so strange, holding onto his wrist. It seemed so crazy to be touching another uninfected. It had been so long since I'd even seen another person. I don't even know what to think about. It feels like… I'm not the only person left in the world anymore. And it's so great that I could almost smile. But I held back on it.

Even though he's an uninfected it doesn't mean he isn't a threat. He could be dangerous. And if that's completely true, why am I taking him back to my safe place?

Maybe it's because I'm human. Humans need to see other humans. Humans needed to communicate. And it's been a long time since any of that happened.

I bit my lip, and let go of his wrist, getting down on my knees. I brushed the dirt off the pull for the door, and pulled it back open.

"Get in. It's safe, you have my word. I wouldn't have saved you before if I wanted to kill you now. Besides, I owe it to you." I mumbled.

He looked uncertain, but grabbed onto the ladder and climbed down. I followed him, lower the door on myself. The zombies may have been smart, but even humans didn't think of this. But I always lock the door once I get inside anyways.

"What is this place?" he asked, looking around. It looked just like a normal home on the inside, the only difference was the roof.

"My uncle built it twenty years ago. He didn't like people even before the infection."I replied, pulling two waters out of the cabinet. I handed one out toward him, but he just stared at it for a couple minutes.

"I swear it's not poisoned or infected, or whatever the hell you think's wrong with it. I've been drinking it for a month now." I reassured him.

He seemed to have a huge trust issue. Which I understand. We live in a piece of shit world where you can't afford to be selfless or kind. I don't know why I trust him so much. Maybe it's because he saved me. Let's just say that's it.

I hate this place. I hate how things are now. It's a place where I can't even afford to be me. I'm definitely not myself anymore. I have to be cold, and closed off. Because if I'm not then history will just repeat itself. I can't do that again.

But why the hell is he here? I'm being open again. I should really shut this thing down. But… It's been so long since I've talked to another person. I miss it.

I need him to answer my question though. Why did he save me? Why did he take me with him? Why didn't he just leave me to die. It would have been so easy. Instead he carried me away to a safe place, not even knowing if I would be a threat to him or not. It just didn't make an sense.

"Why did you keep me safe yesterday?"
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so so so sorry it's taken so long for this :c