Does Love Still Exist?

Chapter 2

Waking up at her normal time, Katrina looked at Kristopher's sleeping form before walking into the bathroom. Taking a quick shower she changed into a pair of black running shorts, a white sports bra and a grey hoodie. Walking back into the bedroom she heard her son stirring, meaning that it was time to get breakfast made and start the day. Since she didn't know what time Noah and Marc had gone to bed, she wasn't sure when they would be waking up. If they weren't up by nine, she'd have to go and wake Noah up since he didn't need to be sleeping all day because if he did, he'd also be up all night. That was not something she was up for dealing with especially since there were things she needed to get done and she wasn't sure what Hank was going to be doing.

Picking Kristopher up, Katrina smiled at him. “Hi, buddy. Did you miss me last night?”

Making her way over to the cabinet, she pulled out a fresh diaper and the box of wipes. Placing him on her bed, she sat down with the stuff to change the diaper. After finishing that, she put him back into his pajamas and picked up the pee soaked diaper and headed downstairs. Not hearing anyone, she figured that she and Kristopher were the only ones awake. Tossing the dirty diaper into the trash, Katrina placed her son into his highchair before going into the cupboard and pulled down the box of rice cereal that Kristopher had just started eating two days ago. Placing the box on the counter she made her way over to the sink and washed her hands since she had just changed a diaper.

After making rice cereal with some of the breast milk that was stored in the fridge, Katrina sat down and pulled Kristopher's highchair closer to her before she started feeding him. Smiling at him, she could remember when she first started feeding Noah rice cereal. It was such a huge step for her to realize that her baby was growing up and now he was four and she had another one. Her sons were the ones that she had to be strong for. They were her world. Watching the funny face that Kristopher made while eating a bite of the rice cereal, Katrina shook her head and smiled. The difference between the smiles she wore last night and the one for her son was all of them last night were forced, but when it was her kids nothing felt so natural.

“He's got Joel's distaste for anything new.”

Snapping her attention to her husband who stood by the coffee maker in the kitchen, Katrina didn't say anything. She gave another spoonful of food to Kristopher, before looking at him again. He wore nothing but a pair of pajama pants. “I didn't know that.”

“Growing up, he didn't like to try new foods,” Hank smiled. “Then when our parents got him to actually try it he liked most of it.”

“I think that it just takes a bit getting used to. He seems to be adjusting rather quickly.”

“Not too picky like his older brother and uncle.”

Katrina didn't say anything, she just continued to feed Kristopher. It was silent for a few more minutes before Hank brought up the one subject she didn't want to think about. “When is your appointment?”

“I'm going to the doctor's tomorrow. They want to check my head to see if the headaches have gone away or not.”

“Are you taking the boys with you?”

“No,” Katrina said as she scooped the last of the rice cereal into the spoon and fed it to Kristopher before getting out of her chair and moved to the sink. Turning on the hot water she filled the small bowl up to let it soak. Grabbing the dish cloth she turned the water cold and put the cloth under. Wringing it out, she made her way over to Kristopher and wiped his face and hands. “Do you really think that it is a good idea for me to take two kids with me to a doctors appointment where I need to have tests done?”

“No, but-”

“Don't worry about watching your kids,” Katrina said. “Shannon flew in last night. She'll be watching them.”

“Kitty...”

“I figured you would be too busy trying to find her again,” Katrina glared at him as she picked up her son and rested him on her hip. “Are you moving out?”

“No,” Hank told her as he watched his youngest son rest his head on his mother's shoulder. “I want to be around my kids.”

“That's funny,” Katrina said. “You aren't around now. What makes you think by moving out anything will change?”

“I'm not leaving my boys.”

“Whatever Hank. I'm calling the lawyers tomorrow.”

Hank watched as she headed up the stairs. He knew things weren't great for them, but he didn't want her calling a lawyer about separation or divorce. Kitty and the boys were his life and he knew that he messed up by cheating on his wife. Why he thought he could hide it from her, he didn't know. When she found out, the look on the face of his wife, the mother of his sons' made him want to take her and lock her in a closet with just him. But he knew he messed up. Hearing his phone go off, he picked it up off the kitchen table and looked at the screen. He wasn't sure that he wanted to answer it. With a deep sigh, he hit accept.

“I didn't think I’d hear from you.”

After walking upstairs, Katrina let Kristopher into the play room before setting up the baby gate. Smiling at him, she walked to the bedroom where she pulled out her laptop and turned it on. She heard Hank's phone go off and she didn't know why, but she felt like she couldn't really trust him anymore, especially when he seemed to just disappear and not say anything to her. Leaving her door open, Katrina grabbed a pair of sweatpants and pulled off her shorts and replaced them with the pants. Sliding onto the bed, she opened her browser and opened her email. Three that were junk. One from Shannon about her trip and the last was from one of her teammates.

Opening Shannon's first, she smiled as she heard Kristopher let out a loud laugh.

Hey Kat,

How are the kids? I need some new pictures!!
I'm gonna be busy the first day, but don't worry, I'll still be able to watch them so you can make your appointment. Everyone wants you to come back.

See you soon.


Going back to the inbox, she clicked on the one from her teammate.

Hey Katrina!

There is a get together for the girls, like a lunch. We would love to see you. So make the husband of yours watch the kids and take some time to have girl time with us. We have missed you since you got that concussion.


Smiling slightly, she knew she had become a bit of a hermit since she was struck in the head and found out that she had a concussion. What her teammates didn't know was that her marriage wasn't what it was cracked up to be. Sure magazines were selling stories of the perfect marriage she had, but what hurt was the gossip magazines were more accurate since things weren't what they should have been. She hated having to listen to the gossip about her marriage, but the thing that was the worse was the fact that the kids were involved.

“Hey.”

Looking up, Katrina smiled. “Morning.”

Running over to the bed Noah tried to get on, but it was just a little out of his reach to get on. So Marc walked up behind him and helped him up. Noah then crawled over to his mother and laid on the pillow next to her. “So how did last night go?”

“Nosy reporters always get me mad. But we managed to look happy,” Katrina said as she closed the laptop and put it on the table next to her bed before pulling her son into her so she could hug him. “How were the boys?”

“They were good. Kristopher slept great, but the other one wanted to wait for you to get home so after playing a game he ended up falling asleep.”

“It looked like he wasn't the only one that fell asleep,” Katrina smiled as she ran her hand through Noah's hair. “They wore you out, didn't they?”

“Yeah, but I did promise to take them to the park,” Marc said. “Would it be okay?”

“How about some Uncle Marc and Noah time?” Katrina asked her son. “Would you like that?”

“Kris has to take a nap soon?” Noah asked.

Looking into her son's eyes, she saw his father.

“He's playing by himself in the playroom and he will be ready for a nap. So do you wanna go to the park with Uncle Marc?”

Nodding his head, Noah kissed his mother's cheek. “So why don't you go ask Daddy to make you something to eat?”

“Park!”

“Ask Daddy to make you something to go then, but you need to eat something.”

“Okies!”

Making his way off the bed, Noah headed to the door and walked out and started screaming for his dad that he needed food.

“How are you feeling?”

“What do you mean?”

“Things aren't exactly easy for you right now.”

“We were civil last night, but we survived. Each day gets harder Marc and sometimes I wonder if I can do this.”

“I heard you crying last night,” Marc told her. “I know that it is hard right now, but I do think things will get easier later on.”

“He destroyed my trust,” Katrina said. “He slept with the one person that I can't compete with. I know she's your friend Marc and everything, but she has your brother. Why did she have to sleep with Hank? Why am I no longer good enough for him?”

“You know that's not true, but it has been a bit now. Maybe it's time to listen to what he has to say.”

“I'm not sure if I want to hear what he has to say,” Katrina said. “I mean really. Why would I wanna hear the reason he slept with another woman?”

“There might be more to it than just that,” Marc said. “All you need to do is listen to him.”

“Are you sure you wanna take Noah to the park?” Katrina asked.

“We'll be fine.”

“Have fun.”

Giving her a small smile he walked out of the bedroom and down the stairs.

Letting out a frustrated sigh, Katrina walked into her closet. Taking the lid off the box in the back she grabbed the red bag before grabbing what was inside. Pulling out the blue shimmering satin chemise with black lace around the bust and on one side where it reached to her side. Looking at the beautiful chemise in her hands she gave it a small smile. It was supposed to be a surprise for Hank, but she never had the chance to wear it for him. The day she bought it, she had come home to find out that Hank had broken her trust and had cheated on her. Choking back the sob, Katrina sat down and let the tears fall from her eyes. It was the first time that she had really cried since she found out and it still hurt to know what he had done to her. Of all the people in the world for him to go after it had to be Caitlin. She was the only one that made her feel insecure about her relationship with Hank and she had every right to think so. Sometimes she wondered if she hadn't gotten the call from Marc's brother would she have ever known that he cheated on her.

“I don't think I’ve ever seen that on you before,” Hank said. “Then again those never did last too long when you did put them on.”

“I bought it before you cheated on me.”

“Marc took Noah to the park and Kristopher is napping,” Hank told her. “Please Kitty. There is something that you need to know.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for all the feedback! I hope that you continue to like it!!

What do you think Hank needs to tell Katrina?

Comments are always welcome!!!