Status: one-shot

Unplug Mary-Jane

Mary-Jane

I was always warned that perfection was a disease. Perfection caused the mind to lose control, and the heart to go to irrational measures to be beautiful.

I had chosen the path of perfection.

And now, here I was, stuck in the hospital bed with an IV hooked up to my arm, on life support.

At first I wasn't obsessed with perfection. It started with just skipping a few meals here and there, or not eating the icing on a cupcake. But then Sophie and Lianna decided that we were going to explore the full realm of perfection, and we began to starve ourselves to the limits. To the limits of perfection, pushing on the edge of discovery...

Until the lack of food began to take its toll on us.

Friends stick together, no matter what the circumstances. Through rain or sunshine, through sickness and health, through eating or starving. And that's what we did. We stuck together.

And we were beautiful because of that.

But then we were found out. In the middle of a fashion show I passed out from heart failure, and Sophie and Lianna weren't long to follow. That's what brings us back to the fact of me lying here in the hospital bed. Being force fed nutrients through a tube in my arm and a machine by my bedside. Being taken away from perfection.

But I wasn't going to stand for that. I was not going to let them take away my perfection.

So I had decided on my fate. If they wouldn't let me be perfect and live, then I wouldn't live at all. It was as easy as that. The one thing that was keeping me alive was the machine, and all I had to do was pull out one little plug.

Once it was out I would be free.

Sophie and Lianna had already done it, and they had made their perfection permanent. Now it was my turn.

It was my turn to be beautiful.

I got out of bed slowly and looked at my face in the mirror one last time, my weak legs shaking beneath me as I stood in front of the mirror.

I was beautiful.

I was skinny.

I smiled.

It was time.

I took the shaky steps to the plug in the wall, my thin frame shuddering with every step, and stopped as I finally reached it. This was my time. This was my moment.

I reached my arm out to the plug and tugged with all of the strength in my weak arm...

And it popped out.

The heart monitor beside me began to beep wildly, and pain shot through my body as my organs began to shut down. I convulsed wildly on the ground, smiling through the stream of tears that was running down my grimacing face.

I began to slip away.

And I knew then,

I was at perfection.
♠ ♠ ♠
This story was not written off personal experience, but it was mostly written by my close friend who has been suffering from anorexia and bulimia for a long time. She wanted a way to vent her feelings out, so I suggested her writing a story and posting it on my Mibba. She agreed, and this is the product. I didn't realize how seriously she took her body's perfection, and when I read it it touched me. I actually cried.

Anyway, I hope you guys like it. It's way different from what I usually write...so yeah.

Thanks for reading!