Status: Editing last chapters...

From a Distance

Different Point of Views

(Girl's P.O.V)

For me, he's the best person I've ever met. It's not like I'm in-love with him but what more could I ask for? Not only is he good-looking, athletic and smart, he's also kind and a very reliable person. I guess, you can probably guess that I really am in-love with him. Unfortunately, he doesn't know that I'm in-love with him but I think it's the best way. What I'm trying to say is that we might never have the luxury of time to hang-out anymore. We're both going to different universities after high school... I bet he's in-love with someone else as well. I'd better just give up.

HIGH SCHOOL: Senior Year!

"Good morning, Mrs. Humphrey! Is Jake up?" I entered their house through the kitchen door like always did when we were still kids.
Mrs. Humphrey looked at me with a warm smile on her face that reminds me a lot of Jake.
"He's upstairs, Alex. Do you mind waking up the boys for me?" she asked.

I can't refuse her. Besides, she's alone in this house with four full-grown men. I'm the only one she can count on.
As I ran up to the second floor of their house, I saw the wall decorated with framed-up pictures of her four sons from when they kids up to now. I wish our house was like this too but mom said that int only brings her bad memories.
I turned left and saw a door with yellow tags saying 'Danger'. I guessed it was Chris' room, Mrs. Humphrey's eldest son. The next room with black and white 'X's is Harvey's room and studio, second eldest. There's a bathroom between his and Jame's room, the third son. At the end of the hall is a very familiar door with signs of 'Do not ENTER' is my best friend and the youngest of Mrs. Humprhey's son, Jake.
I did what she told me and knocked on their doors a few times but only one door opened, it was Harvey. He looked like some zombie pulled out from a horror movie. I guess, he pulled out another all nighter writing his manuscript for Miss Leila, his editor.
"Morning, Harv~" I greeted him casually.

He stared at me with such a gloomy face, I laughed. "M-Morning, Alex."
"Another all nighter?" I asked even though it was obvious. He nodded and then went on his way downstairs to have breakfast.
I went to Jake's room and surprisingly, the door was open. I heard the shower being turned off. As I stepped in his room, he was in his boxers with a his towel on his head.
His black hair was wet and his body is muscular. I felt a sudden rise of temperature on my cheeks.
I watched him go and about his room. I sat on his bed as I pulled out his bag then I felt another weight on the bed. It was him, sitting just a few inches from me.
"You really like waking us up, don't you?" He suddenly asked. I gasped as I snapped back to my senses.
"Y-Yeah. Yes, of course. Your mom needs help. At least I can lend her my assistance everyday." I answered him. I couldn't look at him even though I always see him like this. It was different when it's just the two of us in one room.
At that moment, I felt warmth on my waist and currents flowed throughout my body. He was tickling me and I didn't notice that he was already on top of me.
I kept on saying stop but he kept on tickling me. Then, someone cleared their throat. It was Chris, leaning on the door frame with a big grin on his face.

We didn't notice that we were in a very provocative position. My best friend--- no, a man was on top of me and we looked like we were doing something out of the ordinary.
"Ya know, the least you could do is lock door before doing anything." Chris suddenly spoke.
Jake ad I exchanged confused glances and laughed, "YEAH RIGHT!" we both said.
Jake got off me like nothing happened and went to put on his pants and shirt. I felt his lips on my forehead, "Get up before I leave you." He told me.
I slowly touched my forehead, the warmth was still there and I couldn't help but feel miserable that he doesn't see me as nothing than a girl who he grew up with.

"It's not too late, Alex." Chris whispered while walking down the stair. I just smiled and hurriedly went to the kitchen to help their mom. I know that I should tell Jake what I really feel but I don't want to risk our friendship for the sake of my own selfishness.

(Narrator's P.O.V)
"Damn! You and Alex are really tight, huh?" A blonde teenage boy with striking blue eyes walked toward Jake.
Jake didn't react, "We grew up together, Luke." he stated. Luke rolled his eyes at his friend's innocent words, "Yeah, I've heard that before. But are you sure that you two ain't friends with benefits?" Luke added. Jake glared at him, it was a very scornful look that made Luke swallow for his life, "Another word from you and I'm gonna send you flying to the bleachers!" Jake said and shoved him to the locker.

He didn't like it when people gave their friendship other meanings. It was okay to joke around but to him, there is a limit for everything they're saying about them. Alex will always be special to him. He saw her as more than a girl he grew up.

"How was Lit. class?" Jake met up with Alex. He took the books from her arms and carried them towards their next class. "It was good. You know, you don't have to carry my books." Alex stated.
He ignored her words and suddenly changed the subject, "I heard from Rick that you're going to the prom, is that true?"
She nodded, "Of course I will. Who will cover the even if I wasn't there, huh?"
"Who's taking you?" He asked.
Alex fixed her glasses, "Um... no one asked me yet... but--- AH! Never mind."
Jake gave her a confused look as they entered the classroom.

"What's with that look, dude?" Luke noticed as the two entered the room.
"What look? I don't have a silly look on my face." Jake said ending the topic.
Luke grinned, "Alex, you know him better that I do, what's wrong with your best friend?" he turned to Alex. She glanced at him and breathed in, "Since... I--"
"Nothing, Luke. Since nothing. Quit bugging Alex." Jake suddenly spoke, evading the subject about his reaction.
Luke sighed deeply, "So, you two going to the prom together?" he asked.
Alex shook her head, "Nope, I'm going by myself because I'm going to cover the event." she said.
Jake was dumbfounded when he heard his best friend suddenly make a statement like that. It was heartbreaking that Alex didn't want him to her date.

(Alex's P.O.V)

No one brought up our discussion earlier. Luke and Jake went to football practice and I went to the music room. I've always loved playing the piano while waiting for Jake to finish his practice.
I closed my eyes and thought of Jake and his reaction earlier. What's with him being cranky? I don't understand him.

Jake passed the football towards Luke's direction.
"So, who're you taking to the Prom, Mr. Quarterback?" Luke asked as he threw it back to Jake which he easily caught.
"I'm taking Jennifer, remember?" Jake said bluntly. Luke sighed, "Are you serious, boy?!" he blurted out.
Their teammates stared at them in confusion. "Damn! Take another girl other than her. She seems so shallow. I don't like her." the his blonde friend suggested.

(Alex's P.O.V)
I sighed as my song ended. Crumpled paper were all over the floor and then I heard the door open, it was Luke.
"You really know how to make a mess, huh?" He said.
I laughed, "I was getting frustrated, that's all. Do you mind helping me?" I asked him.
He just smiled as he picked up the crumpled papers on the floor. From any angle, he's really good-looking. I bet girls chase him around.
"Uh...Alex?" I heard him call me.
"Yeah? What is it?" As innocent as it seems I asked. Luke seemed nervous about something. What's he going to tell me?

"Would you be my date for the Prom?" He asked. Right then and there, I stood frozen with my eyes fixed on his. At first I thought, I'm sure he'll burst out laughing in the end but he didn't. Instead, he just stood there motionless, waiting for my answer.
"Y-Yes... I would love to be your date to the Prom." I said. Then, behind him, I saw a familiar face. That person was shocked as hell. Jake looked like those in the comics who couldn't believe what just happened.

He walked towards us and smiled, "Congratulations! You finally have a date for the Prom... Now, I don't have to worry about finding you a date." he said.
His words... pierced my heart. As heartbreaking as it seems but I think Jake would be better off without me.

(Narrator's P.O.V)
Days passed by and Luke and Alex are hanging out more often leaving Jake with Jennifer and his other friends.

Finally, Prom night came.
At Alex's house, Luke was waiting for her in the living room. "You better take care of her, Luke." A man around his 20s sat in front of Luke. He had black hair and brown hair. He grinned at the teen in front of him, "No need to be so stiff, boy!" he added.
"That's easy for you to say, Drew! I'm getting nervous here. I'm gonna take care of your sister." Luke said as he stood up and walked back and forth the room nervously.
A few minutes, he heard heels tapping slowly from the stairs. He went to take a look and was surprised to see Alex in a white and pink strapless gown, her hair curled down to her waist, and heels.
He looked at her and smiled, "You look beautiful." He suddenly said.
She smiled sweetly at him, "Thank you, Luke. You dashing yourself." she said.

At the prom, Jake stood in the middle of the dance floor with Jenny. Everyone stopped dancing as the door opened. It was Alex and Luke. They looked like the perfect couple.

"Luke, do you mind if I dance with my best friend?" Jake tapped Luke's shoulder gently. Luke nodded, "Sure, Jake but don't make me wait too long." he added as he went to their other friends.

(Jake's P.O.V)
She looks perfect! How I wish that I was the one who asked her to be my date.
"You look beautiful, Alex." I said as I took her to the middle of the dance floor to dance.

--How do I get close? When she looks like an angel. A moment of her time just seems impossible to me.--
The lyrics of the song we're dancing to seems to be in-tuned with my situation right now.

--I'm scared of what she'll say if what I say sounds incomplete.---

"I can't keep on feeling the way I do. I can't keep on hiding my heart from you." I sang the chorus closely her ear so that she'll hear.

"What was that about?" she suddenly pulled away. I simply shook my head, "Nothing, it's my favorite song." I told her.
What a lame excuse?! I'm lying to her again. Why can't I tell her what I really want to say?

We danced until the song finished. I gave her hand to Luke again. I smiled at the both of them, I trust Luke and he won't hurt her. It's time for me to let her go and move on. I don't want to ruin this perfect night and I've done quite enough damage for the past few days. She doesn't need me in her life anymore.

:(
♠ ♠ ♠
I made some sudden changes on the beginning of the story but I think it went well. XD Enjoy reading.