Status: Editing last chapters...

From a Distance

Separate ways

After Prom night, Alex and I didn't hang out much. She started going out with Luke and I've never felt so our of place.
A few days passed and before we knew it, graduation day is already here.
The three of us sat together that day but I couldn't bear to look at them being so happy. It breaks my heart that I won't be able to see her smile at me like she used to.
I just stared at the valedictorian having a boring speech and after that, we all received our diplomas.
She approached me and gave an tight embrace, "Congratulations, Jake!" she said. I'm going to miss that sweet voice and that gentle touch. Oh how I wish I didn't let her go.
I smiled at her, "Congratulations to you too even though you didn't get to be the valedictorian."

Luke took her into his arms and I looked away. I kept on wishing that it was me who was holding her like that. I have to tell her otherwise I won't have another chance.
"Uh... Luke, do you mind if I talk to her for a while? It won't be long." I blurted out. Stupid! Wrong timing. I saw a smile on his face and he nodded. He went to our other friends who were happily celebrating. I took the courage to grab her hand, "I heard from my mom that you'll be going to N.Y.U, Congratulations." I said.
Is that all you can say to her? That's what I told myself.

She nodded and smiled, "Yep, I am and thanks. You have a sports scholarship, right?" she added.
"Yeah, I can't follow you forever. I'm gonna miss you, Alex." Here goes nothing, I took her into my arms and held tightly. "I'm going to miss you." I whispered as I got a whiff of her hair. I felt her arms tighten around my waist, I heard her say that she'll miss me as well.

"Well, I have to go. My flight is in a few hours. I'll be heading straight to New York after I say my goodbyes." She said. When she said those words, I couldn't bring myself to tell her anything anymore. If I tell her my feelings, she'll force herself to leave everything. I heaved up a heavy sigh and smiled, "Oh, I can't see you off then. I'll be packing up my things for my flight tomorrow as well. I'm sorry." I lied.
My flight is on the day after tomorrow. I saw her eyes getting teary. She hugged me once more.
"Oh yeah, I won't be doing football on college. I've decided to play basketball for UConn. Great, huh?" I said. I tried to keep my voice as calm as possible but I couldn't help but frown.
"So you'll be on the UConn Huskies! That's great. Congratulations." She said. Then I heard someone call my name. I looked back and saw my brothers waving at me.
"Let's go!" I heard James shout.

"So, I guess this is goodbye?" I told her. She nodded, "Yeah, I guess so but call me when you need someone to talk to, alright?" she said.

I walked towards my brothers and she went the opposite way where Luke was waiting for her. I tried to look back and I saw her in Luke's arms. I lowered my head and and continued to walk. It hurts to see the one you love in the arms of somebody else.

(Alex's P.O.V)
I thought he was going to run back and give me a big hug but he just looked and walked away. His brothers waved at me and I just did the same. I can see their big smiles but I didn't see Jake's big childish grin. Luke held me in his arms tightly as the tears keep rolling down my face.

"You can still catch up to him, Alex." Luke said as he pulled away from the embrace.
I just stared at him, "What's the point?" I dumbly said to him. He wanted me to go after him, "Go and tell him what you really feel about him. He'll understand." he said. I simply shook my head and breathed in, "No, I can't do that. Even though I know for a fact that he'll understand but I don't want to make him choose." I told him.
Luke flashed a wide smile at me, "I'll be taking care of you until he decides to come after you. But I won't give you to him that easily. He'll have to prove to me that he's worth it." His words made my heart calm. He pulled me into another bear hug and I laughed.
"Thank you, Luke. Well, I guess we should get going. We'll be late for our flight." I said.

I guess, we'll see each other again but for now, I need to appreciate what's in front of me.
♠ ♠ ♠
A little short but I guess it'll do. XD Next up, College years~