Status: Editing last chapters...

From a Distance

Home Sweet Home?

Today I'm officially graduating college! Finally! I laughed inwardly as I stared at my college diploma and thought of Alex. I wonder what she's doing right now? Maybe she discovered the cure for cancer or something like that. I sighed as I walked towards my brothers and my mom. They all seemed happy to see me. I just wish that she was here.

After I said my goodbyes to my friends and packed up my things, we immediately boarded a plane and flew back home.

(Narrator's P.O.V)
Jake woke up with a very bad headache and no one even bothered to wake him up. He glanced at his alarm clock and was surprised to see that it was already 11:30 am. He groaned and gently rubbed his forehead and lazily stood up. He kept yawning as he stretched his arms upwards. After that he pulled out a nice clean shirt in his closet and went down to have breakfast or lunch, considering the time of the day.

He was surprised to see that Harvey was sitting by the counter and happily drinking coffee when his brother was supposed to be in a meeting right now.
"I thought you had a meeting, what happened?" Jake asked.
"I just needed to pass the manuscript and took home some work. What are you gonna do on your first day of freedom?" Harvey asked his little brother as he flipped one page after another.

"Guess I missed out a lot of your works, huh? About that, I have no idea. I might go to my high school and visit some old peeps." Jake said as he raided the fridge full of food.
"Oh, the former quarterback of the football turned basketball MVP of the UConn Huskies is going back to the old days. I think I'll make a good story about that!" Harvey said, ignoring his brother who was confused at what he was saying.

Jake went out before his brother goes on about a new story that he's going to be a part of. He remembered walking down the streets with Alex. He realized that he was walking to where Alex's house is. It was still the same as they left it four, five years ago.
"Welcome back, Jake." A familiar voice called out to him. He turned around and saw a woman who looked a lot like Alex.
"How are you, Mrs. J?" He asked politely. "I'm good, how about you? I heard you graduated yesterday, congratulations." She said.

(Jake's P.O.V)
Talking to Mrs. Jenks is like talking to Alex. I remember that I used to eat at their house after school and they wouldn't mind. As I recall, Alex's dad died on the battlefield in Iraq. He was a General and a very kind man. Unfortunately, Alex was 4 years old when that happened at least that's what Mrs. Jenks told me.

"Is Alex gonna come home?" I asked even though I didn't want to hear the answer.
She smiled, "She visits during holidays but I doubt that she'll come home permanently. She even calls to check up on me. What a good kid." she said.
I laughed, "What a good kid indeed. Well, it was nice talking to you Mrs. J. I gotta get back. Harvey might run the house down." I couldn't even believe that she comes here just to visit.

I bet Luke came back with her.

I went back home to see that Harvey was nowhere to be seen. I went to look for him in his overly-crowded studio but he wasn't there. The last place where he'll go is the backyard garage. I heard voices coming from the backyard.

I hesitantly swung open the door and saw everyone smiling and shouted, "WELCOME BACK!"
Everyone was there including Luke, my brothers, the cheer leaders in my high school days, the football team, coaches, my mom and almost everyone else I know... almost everyone. It's good to see everyone but she wasn't there. Alex wasn't there to welcome me back. Maybe she already forgot about me but why is Luke not with her?

"Congratulations, man!" Luke placed me in a head lock. He was grinning at me while I, on the other hand, was glaring at him. "Why are you here?" I asked him.
"I came to welcome you and congratulate you." He answered me so innocently.

I glared at him, almost putting out a menacing aura around me, "I mean, why aren't you with Alex in New York?!" I shouted at him.
Luke glanced at Chester and placed him in a head lock, "Chester, o'buddy, o'pal! Why he doesn't know anything? Didn't I tell you to tell him everything before coming back here?!" He said.

Wait... I'm getting confused here. "Don't change the subject, my friend! Answer the freakin' question!" I shouted at the two of them.
Luke breathed in and out, "Listen, we broke up last year. We're still friends and everything but after graduation she was hired to be a photographer in some famous magazine. She calls me from time to time but that's it." he explained.

I stood there dumbfounded and then reality strikes, she's alone.
"So, to sum it all up... YOU left her all alone?" I asked.

"N-No! I won't do that to her. She decided on her own. Besides, she said that she wants some time to think about a lot of things. Don't worry about her. She's a big girl and she can handle herself. That's the reason why I love her."

Hearing those words from Luke made me realize something... maybe, it was a good thing that he and Alex were together. I mean, Luke is not that bad. A little rough on the edges but he suits her perfectly.

What the hell am I thinking?! They broke up... so that means I still have a chance with her. That's right! But still...
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm oozing with self-confidence right now even though I'm not really confident about this update. T-T please read and tell me what you think! :))) THANK YOU! XD :**