Status: Completed

One Wild Night

Sex Ain't Love

"Isn't it weird to think of the Avenged boys changing diapers?" Carmen mused aloud.

Sabrina, Marissa, Cecelia, Jess, and Marie giggled. The girls were out shopping at the mall. Matt had shown up that morning and declared that Marissa and Brian needed a day off. He and Zacky were watching Jacob while Brian caught up on his sleep (at his dad's house) and Marissa hung out with her four best friends and Zacky's girlfriend. Marissa wanted to spend as much time with her girls as possible; after all, Jacob was almost seven months now. It wouldn't be too very long before Marissa was able to return to Alabama.

"I can't believe how much they all love Jacob," Marissa commented, adjusting the thin strap of her pale yellow top. "I figured they'd view him as a major disruption to their way of life."

"How could they?" Jess said. "God, Matt and Zacky love babies more than just about anyone I've ever met, and that includes women who are moms. They're going to be totally heartbroken when you take Jacob away."

Marissa frowned. "I love how everyone is going to miss Jacob, but no one is going to miss me."

"Don't even try it, missy!" Sabrina scolded. "You know we're going to miss you terribly."

"And the guys will, too," Cecelia added. "I'm surprised Matt didn't ask his parents to legally adopt you so that he could claim you as his little sister."

"He'd have to beat Jimmy to it," Carmen said.

"It doesn't matter," Marissa said. "Alabama is my home, and I intend to raise Jacob there."

"California has been your home for over a year now," Jess pointed out. "Why not make it permanent? There are jobs here, and apartments, and Jacob could stay close to his dad."

Marissa gritted her teeth. "Brian and I have already had this discussion. He couldn't convince me to stay, so y'all might as well not even try."

Cecelia glanced at Marie, who seemed slightly uncomfortable. "Maybe we should discuss this later."

Marie noticed where the other girls' attention was. "No! It's fine. You can keep talking. I just can't contribute because all I know about the situation is what Zack has told me, and that's not very much."

Marissa, Sabrina, Jess, Cecelia, and Carmen all shared a look. Marissa knew that each of them was wondering the same thing: Did Zacky happen to mention that there had been a very real possibility that Jacob was his?

"Who wants some Dippin' Dots?" Sabrina queried, effectively changing the subject.

Marissa threw up a hand. "Ooh, me!"

"I could go for a giant pretzel," Jess said, trailing after Sabrina and Marissa.

"You know, we can go get some real food, if y'all are hungry," Carmen proposed. "Mexican, maybe?"

"No way!" Marissa protested. "I ate enough Mexican food while I was pregnant to last me a lifetime."

"Then what do you want?" Carmen asked.

"Chinese," Marissa and Cecelia answered simultaneously.

"Surprise, surprise," Sabrina said dryly.

"But I still want some Dippin' Dots," Marissa stated. "Cotton candy."

Sabrina got cotton candy, too. Happily eating their Dippin' Dots, they followed the other girls to the Chinese place.

"When are the guys going on the road?" Marissa questioned after they'd placed their orders. "I keep hearing that it will be 'soon,' but no one will give me an exact date."

"Two weeks," Cecelia said. "I think the first show is in San Diego on August twenty-sixth."

"You'll stay for that, right?" Jess inquired of Marissa, tone hopeful.

Marissa smiled. "Sure. I wasn't planning on leaving quite that soon. I'm not taking Jacob away until Brian is going to be gone for an extended amount of time."

"What are you going to do when you get back?" Sabrina asked.

"Stay with Mom and Dad for a while. Danny is going to give me as many hours as he can, and I'm going to look for another part-time job or, if possible, find a full-time position."

"It's going to be tough," Carmen remarked.

"I know." Marissa narrowed her eyes. "Don't even try that tact to get me to stay. The fact that being a single parent is going to be hard is something I'm already aware of. I can't rely too heavily on Mom and Dad. It's my mistake and they've already made it very clear that I'm responsible for my own actions and the consequences." She sighed. "I can't blame them. They're right. But if I knew that they'd be willing to watch Jacob whenever I need them to, there would be less restrictions on what jobs I can accept."

"That's why you need your girls," Jess said.

Smiling slightly, Marissa shook her head. "Y'all are never going to give up, are you?"

Jess grimaced apologetically. "Sorry. We just...don't want you to go."

"I have to," Marissa insisted. "And you're not making things any easier."

Sabrina, Jess, Carmen, and Cecelia all remained silent. Their expressions were similar: all four of them looked glum and depressed.

"Stop it!" Marissa said sternly. "We have time. Don't get bummed out yet or we won't be able to enjoy what's left of our time together."

"You're right," Cecelia said.

It took a couple of trips, but a waitress brought them their food. They dug in with vigor. Some of it was hunger, but some of it was a desire to keep their mouths busy so that they could no longer discuss Marissa's imminent departure.

After they finished eating, they decided to call it a day. Each girl was lost in her own thoughts. They wanted to appreciate the time they had left; however, it was hard not to dread what was coming.

Marissa was taken home first. Matt and Zacky left with the other girls, Matt wanting to be with Cecelia and Zacky with Marie.

Jacob was down for his nap, and Brian wasn't home yet. Marissa went into the nursery, leaning on the crib's rail and watching Jacob sleep. She soon realized that tears were streaming slowly down her cheeks.

Going back to Alabama would be difficult. She was going to miss her girls and the beach and the security that Brian brought to her life. No, he didn't want to be with her, but as long as she was here, she knew she and Jacob would never want for anything. Brian would do anything for his child, even if it meant supporting Marissa until she could find a job, get her own place, etc. Life would be easier for her here, though at a heavy price: she'd have to rely on someone who was unintentionally breaking her heart.

I'm not going to do this. She touched Jacob's tuft of dark hair. I'm not going to stay just because it's easy. I'm going to go home to Alabama and live my life and come out on the other side a better woman.

****

"Marissa."

Marissa reluctantly opened her eyes and lifted her head. She was laying on the bed in the guest room, on top of the covers and still in the clothes she'd worn to the mall. Brian was perched on the edge of the bed, smiling down at her.

Marissa sat up and stretched. "What time is it?"

"Seven-thirty." Seeing her startled expression, Brian quickly reassured her. "Jacob's fine. He woke up right after I got home, but I fed him and he went right back to sleep."

Marissa nodded.

"Marie and Zacky brought us dinner," Brian said. "Fried chicken and macaroni and cheese. I can heat it up for you if you're hungry."

"Thanks. I think I'm going to shower first."

"Okay. I'll have it ready when you get out." He got up and left the room.

Wow. Somebody is being extra sweet. Marissa padded into the bathroom and switched on the shower, stripping while the water warmed. Is this his way of convincing me to stay?

Doesn't matter if it is, she answered herself. It's not going to work. I mean, it doesn't change anything. He still doesn't care about me.

Marissa bathed quickly. She got out of the shower, dried off, and dressed. When she opened the bedroom door she could smell the fried chicken. It made her mouth water. She hadn't even realized she was hungry until that moment.

There was a plate of food and a glass of tea waiting on the table. Marissa carried them into the living room, where Brian was on the sofa, his feet resting on the coffee table, watching Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Marissa hesitated only briefly before sitting next to him. Pinkly seemed to materialize out of thin air, fixing Marissa with a hopeful, pleading stare.

The food was delicious! Marissa was sure Marie had cooked it; Zacky's idea of cooking was sticking a bag of popcorn in the microwave and pressing a button.

"Remind me to thank Marie," Marissa said, happily munching a bite of chicken.

Brian smiled. Marissa finished her meal and took her plate into the kitchen, sticking it in the dishwasher. Brian wandered in after her, retrieving a beer from the refrigerator.

"We should probably wake Jacob," Marissa commented as she loaded the dishwasher. "If we keep him up for a couple of hours, he might sleep through the night."

"Good idea."

Marissa started the dishwasher and headed for the door.

"Wait." Brian caught her arm as she passed.

Marissa glanced at him curiously. Their eyes met and her heart skipped a beat. She recognized the look in his dark eyes--it was the same one she'd seen in Memphis over a year ago.

Marissa gently freed herself from his hold. I'm not doing this again. But she couldn't deny that having that intense gaze on her was making her skin burn and bringing on the first stirrings of arousal.

Brian set his beer on the counter and faced her. She knew she needed to move, to get away from him, yet she couldn't quite make her legs work. Something about him drained her of resistance and willpower. That's what had happened in Memphis and apparently, despite everything they'd been through together, he still had that effect on her.

Brian cupped her face in his hands and leaned forward, bringing their lips together. Marissa's eyes slid closed as his mouth fitted perfectly over hers. The kiss was tender at first, their lips barely touching and his fingertips resting lightly on her face. Time seemed to halt.

Then, Brian's tongue skated over her lips and she parted them, permitting him entrance. His tongue plunged deep and she suddenly found herself pinned between Brian and the wall, one of his arms around her waist, his free hand up her shirt.

All rational thought abandoned Marissa. The only things she could focus on were the taste of his kisses, the feel of him against her, the heat flaring to life low in her body, his touch sending shivers through her.

Brian pulled back enough to look down at her. Trying to catch her breath, Marissa waited for whatever he would do next. Stopping this, saying no, didn't even occur to her. Brian's arm was still wrapped securely around her waist and his hand was gently caressing one of her breasts. Marissa's arousal was steadily increasing and Brian hadn't even begun to truly showcase his skills.

Brian stepped away from her, withdrawing his hand from her shirt and dropping his arm from around her waist. For a second, she was sure his senses had returned to him, but she was so far gone that instead of being relieved, she felt a bitter disappointment. Brian read the emotion in her eyes and a slight smile curved his lips. He twined his fingers with hers and tugged her out of the kitchen and up the stairs to the master bedroom.

Once there, Brian again drew her into his arms, kissing her deeply and passionately. There was no mistaking his intent now. Seduction, plain and simple. Marissa returned his kisses eagerly. Her body was tense, like a wire about to snap. She needed him to break her, to ease this tension. She didn't care. She wanted it. She wanted him.

Brian stripped her of her shirt and she almost hugged herself to hide her body.

"Don't," Brian said. "You're beautiful."

Marissa had been self-conscious about her body ever since she'd first developed her baby bump all those months ago. Now, her stomach was a little softer than it had been prior to getting pregnant, but she'd lost almost all of the extra weight gained during the pregnancy within about two months of giving birth to Jacob.

Brian pushed her onto the bed. He crawled over her and started using his mouth on her breasts. She arched under him, each kiss and nip of teeth bringing a sound from her. He paused long enough to take off her shorts and panties, Marissa lifting her hips to help him. He again sealed his mouth over hers while positioning his lower body between her legs. The rough denim of his jeans brushed the sensitive flesh there and she trembled. She could feel him hard and ready through the jeans.

His kisses were long and slow. He seemed determined to drive her insane with need before actually satiating her desire. She kissed him back aggressively, deciding to take control. She wanted him inside her now. Brian broke the kiss. Watching her face, he shifted against her. She bit her lip to contain a moan. He chuckled.

Marissa writhed as Brian moved, the friction he was creating driving her closer and closer to release. No doubt that he could finish the job doing nothing more than this; however, it wasn't enough.

"Brian," she said. "I need you. Please."

He knew what she meant and her words seemed to be exactly what he'd been waiting on. He peeled off his shirt and kicked off his jeans and boxers. He was a bit more muscular than he'd been in Memphis, and Marissa couldn't stop herself from openly appreciating the view. He smirked.

Forcing her gaze back to his face, Marissa asked "You've got something, right?" It was weird to be voicing that question, considering they'd already reproduced together. Something we don't want to do again.

"Of course," he replied. He rummaged in the drawer of his bedside table and came out with a condom.

With that taken care of, Marissa let everything go. And it was bliss. For the first time in months, she was thinking about nothing except herself--and the mind-blowing pleasure Brian was bringing her.

Afterward, the two of them were laying in a tangle of limbs beneath the blankets, content. Marissa was somewhere between dozing and actual sleep when the baby monitor emitted Jacob's fussing. Instantly, she snapped fully awake.

"I've got it." She slipped out of the bed and put her pajamas back on. She hurried to the nursery, scooping Jacob into her arms and murmuring soothingly.

Pacing the room, bouncing her son, Marissa couldn't prevent thoughts from forming.

I slept with Brian.

Fact.

Brian initiated it.

Fact.

Why did Brian initiate it?

Marissa frowned. He was horny and I was the most convenient lay?

No. He'd already made that mistake. He wouldn't do it again just to get off. He could go into any place of business in southern California and find a girl willing to fuck him.

A deeper reason, then?

He's trying to convince me he cares about me so I'll stay. That seemed likely. Too bad I know that having sex doesn't automatically mean there's any affection there.

So what now?

Marissa sighed. Maybe I should have thought ahead...
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it was so long between updates. I had a bit of a block with this story.

Thanks to all my subscribers and readers and a special thanks to:

pinksparklez
the-quiet-one
WalkingOnBrokenGlass
Kalei Gates
Vixyn Of Shadows