Status: Completed

One Wild Night

Just Live for the Moment

Marissa shifted forward as the venue came into view. Excitement caused her fingertips to tingle. She leaned close enough to the window that her breath fogged the glass, watching the building grow steadily nearer. It was only three o'clock and already a line had formed at the main entrance to the venue, a line that stretched all the way down the sidewalk.

Her taxi driver pulled alongside the curb and Marissa jumped out. She handed the man a wad of cash before hurrying towards the security guards milling around in front of the doors.

"Hey!" a female voice called. "Don't you see the line?"

Marissa ignored her and approached security. She flashed the laminate Brian had left with her three days ago and the biggest guard opened one of the doors for her. "Thanks," she said as she breezed past him.

She was in Biloxi, Mississippi, for the Avenged Sevenfold show taking place that night. Brian knew she was coming,--he'd given her the VIP pass the day her mom had woken up and made her promise to attend--but her girls and the other guys didn't have a clue. Marissa couldn't wait to surprise them, and she had a surprise for Brian as well: she'd gotten the week off from work so she could join him, his band mates, and her friends on the road. Aunt Irene was keeping Jacob, since Marissa's parents had enough to deal with in the aftermath of her mom's aneurysm.

Marissa had at first felt guilty for wanting to get away while her parents needed her. She had seriously considered skipping even the show in Biloxi. However, her dad had encouraged her to go. In fact, it had been his idea that she find a way to stay with her friends for longer than one night.

She navigated her way through the venue, easily finding the backstage area. She was practically running by the time she reached the dressing room. She could hear Cecelia yelling at Jimmy and everyone else laughing.

Grinning to herself, Marissa knocked on the door.

"Shh!" Jimmy scolded. "Do you want them to think we don't know how to act in public?" The door was pulled open and Jimmy, who had been addressing Cecelia over his shoulder, faced Marissa with a pleasant expression. When he saw her standing there, his face lit up and he immediately seized her in an exuberant hug. "'RISSA!"

In three seconds flat, the entire group was clustered around them. Matt had to wrestle Marissa away from Jimmy because he was clutching her and stubbornly repeating "Mine!" Once Marissa had hugged everyone in greeting, she was ushered deeper into the room.

"How's your mom?" Sabrina demanded as they all settled themselves on the various pieces of furniture. Marissa found herself on the small sofa, sandwiched between Jimmy and Brian.

"She's fine," Marissa replied. "The doctor said she should make a full recovery."

"How's your dad handling it?" Jess asked, her sympathy obvious.

"He'll probably have a nervous breakdown by the time it's over with, but right now, he's so relieved she's okay that he's dancing in the streets. Hell, we're all relieved."

Jimmy squeezed her hand and Marissa had to swallow the lump in her throat. It had been a stressful few days and she hadn't realized how much she'd really missed and needed her friends until just this moment.

"Shh, 'Rissa." Brian wrapped an arm around her and hugged her to his side, kissing the top of her head.

"I'm sorry," she apologized, wiping at a stray tear. "I guess it's catching up to me. While it was happening, I was too busy to dwell on how I felt. But now..." she trailed off with a small shrug.

"We understand," Matt said. "You were being strong for your family. But you're with friends now, and if you need to break down, we're here to hold you together."

"Wow, Shads, that was deep," Zacky commented in mock surprise, and Marissa giggled. Matt snatched up the nearest object to him--a shoe--and fired it across the room at Zacky's head. Zacky easily dodged the projectile, flipping Matt off in the process.

Marissa knew they were trying to lighten the mood and cheer her up. She appreciated that. She appreciated even more that Matt's words had been true: she still had the option of falling to pieces should the need become overwhelming.

"Time out!" Zacky hollered as Matt advanced on him, raising his hands in the universal sign for stop-right-there.

Matt hesitated. He and Zacky stared at each other for a long moment, then Zacky flashed into motion. "YOINK!" he crowed, darting through the dressing room door.

Matt tensed as if he would give chase. After another second, however, Matt rejoined the others. "He's not worth it. If we're lucky, he'll stay hidden until show time and we won't have to deal with him."

Jimmy, Johnny, and Brian chuckled. Cecelia, Marie, Sabrina, Jess, and Carmen all exchanged amused glances.

"Do they always act like this?" Marissa inquired, and the five girls nodded.

"You should know," Jimmy said in a 'well-duh' tone. "You lived with us for ages."

Marissa arched an eyebrow. "Need I remind you of the circumstances under which I was living with y'all?"

"Oh. Yeah."

Johnny rolled his eyes. "You're getting senile, Rev."

"Maybe, but I can still kick your ass, Gnome."

"Oooh," Matt taunted. "Touché."

Johnny glared. Brian and Jimmy laughed.

"An angel smile is what you sell/You promise me heaven, then put me through hell/Chains of love got a hold on me/When passion's a prison, you can't break free/Oh, you're a loaded gun, yeah/Oh, there's nowhere to run, no one can save me, the damage is done," Matt sang to fill the lull in the conversation.

"Shot through the heart, and you're to blame/You give love a bad name," Brian and Jimmy chimed in simultaneously, Jimmy playing out the beat on the arm of the sofa. "I play my part and you play your game/You give love a bad name, bad name/Yeah, you give love--a bad name."

"Vocal practice," Matt said when Marissa shot him an amused look.

"Hey, guys." Jason stuck his head into the room. "Five minutes."

Johnny, Matt, Jimmy, and Brian all got to their feet.

"Um, Brian?" Marissa caught his hand, bringing his attention to her. "Can I talk to you?"

"Deja vu, dude," Johnny muttered, leading the way out of the room.

Jimmy smacked Johnny across the back of the head. "She can't already be pregnant again."

Matt's pace faltered and he glanced at Marissa. He was the only one who knew that she and Brian had slept together again after Jacob's birth. Marissa shook her head to let him know that wasn't the news she had for Brian.

"Let's give these two some privacy," Cecelia said, shoving Matt through the door. Jess, Carmen, Marie, and Sabrina filed out behind them.

Brian's gaze was curious. "What is it, Marissa?"

"I have a surprise for you."

"Oh, really?"

"Yep."

"Well? Don't keep me in suspense!"

She smiled. "I persuaded Danny to give me extra vacation days. I'm off for the next seven days and..." Her eyes fell to where their hands were still linked together. "I thought I'd spend it with y'all," she murmured.

"Are you serious?"

Marissa returned her focus to his face to see that a huge grin had spread across his lips. She nodded confirmation.

"What about Jacob? Who's watching him?"

"Aunt Irene."

"And your parents? They don't need you?"

"Dad assured me they would be fine and that they have all the help they need, even without me."

"That's great! Do your girls know?"

"No. I'm telling everyone else at the end of the show."

"Okay. My lips are sealed." Brian dropped his eyes to their hands, as if he too had just realized they were still clasped. He shifted his grip, twining his fingers more comfortably with hers.

Marissa's pulse jumped.

"Gates! Let's go!" Zacky called from beyond the door.

Reluctantly, Brian pulled his hands from hers and sauntered from the room. Marissa watched him go, her mouth dry and her heart fluttering like a caged bird. She suddenly thought back to mere minutes ago, how natural it had felt to lean against him with his arm draped over her shoulders. They fit so nicely together.

And he smells so good.

She exhaled shakily. She was beginning to wonder if she could handle a week with him. It had hurt to be around him the last couple of months in California, knowing that she loved him and it was utterly unrequited.

Things are different now, she said to herself. Things have changed.

Things had changed. One thing in particular: Brian's feelings finally seemed to be, if not mutual, definitely marching in that direction.

Marissa closed her hand into a fist and brought it to her lips.

****

Marissa stretched out contentedly, her socked feet in Matt's lap and her upper body propped against the arm of the tiny couch. A peaceful silence had settled over the bus: it was early and everyone else was asleep.

Catching Matt watching her, Marissa gave him a quizzical look. "What?"

He shook his head. "Nothing. You just seem happy."

She smiled. "I am."

"I'm glad."

She stifled a yawn but was unable to suppress her shiver. Without a word, Matt bent forward to retrieve one of his hoodies from the bench seat across from them.

"Thanks." Marissa snuggled into the--very--oversized hoodie.

He chuckled and raised his cell, snapping a picture of her.

"What the hell, Shads?"

"With your hair all messy and my huge hoodie on, you look really young."

"I am young."

"I know, but that's easy to forget after everything that's happened."

Marissa swiped at a strand of hair that had come loose from her sloppy bun. "Yeah."

"I just meant you don't act young."

"I got it, Shads."

"So...why aren't you sleeping?"

She lifted a shoulder. "I couldn't. I can't sleep in new places. You?"

"Amy texted me," he replied, referring to his sister. "She needed to talk."

"Are y'all close?"

"We were when we were younger. Now, we both have so much going on." Matt's smile was a little sad. "We don't see each other nearly enough."

"Your soft side is showing again," Marissa teased.

His smile widened to reveal his dimples. "It's okay if you see it. But if you tell anyone, I'll have to kill you."

She mimed locking her lips and throwing away the key.

"Can I ask you something, 'Rissa?"

She nodded.

"How was your date with Brian? Um...before you got the call about your mom."

"We had fun. A lot of fun, actually. I enjoyed myself."

"You guys should try a relationship," Matt stated matter-of-factly.

Marissa raised her eyebrows. "Because we like hanging out together? I like hanging out with you. Does that mean we should try a relationship?"

"No," he said, sounding mildly annoyed. "Because you like him and he likes you and...you guys are so good together. Seriously, now that y'all have stopped fighting all the time, y'all are really cute."

"We have a child together, Shads. That's why we get along. We have to."

"Don't give me that bullshit! I'm tired of hearing that from you. You're protecting yourself in case he doesn't feel the same. Well, news flash: he feels something for you. So quit being so guarded. Take a chance and give him one. Maybe it will last a week, maybe it will last a year. That's not the point." Matt's eyes held nothing but sincerity. "However it ends, I promise you'll have the best time of your life getting there."

"How are you supposed to get involved with someone when you know that it will probably end in disaster?" Marissa demanded.

"What's the point in living if you're too afraid to give anything or anyone a chance?" Matt countered.

They both looked up as Brian trudged into view. He gave them a sleepy smile. "Hi, guys."

"Hi," Matt and Marissa echoed in unison.

Brian ran his eyes over Marissa. "Damn. Shads doesn't look that good in that hoodie."

"I certainly hope you don't think so," Matt said dryly.

Brian made a face at him and dropped onto the bench seat across from them. "What are you guys doing up so early?"

"Couldn't sleep," Marissa said.

Matt pointed at his cell. "Phone call. But now," he added, standing up and stretching. "I'm gonna go get some shut-eye."

Marissa threw him a dirty look. He grinned unrepentantly and kissed her on top of the head before ambling to the bunk area.

Brian hesitated a second, then he eased himself onto the couch. Marissa sat upright, folding her legs Indian-style.

"You couldn't sleep?" he queried.

Marissa shook her head. "I always have trouble sleeping in new places. I'll be fine in a couple of days."

"Sleeping on a bus does take some getting used to."

She yawned widely.

"You're exhausted," Brian said. "Why don't you go to my bunk and try to get some rest?"

Marissa didn't respond, but she inched a bit closer to him. Smiling, he slipped an arm around her shoulders as if it was the most natural thing in the world. She rested her head on his chest.

I don't know where this is going, if Matt is right and Brian and I should go for it, she thought, her eyelids growing heavy. But I'm going to stop worrying about it and enjoy the here and now.

And here and now, she was warm and comfortable and secure in the curve of his body. Listening to his steady breathing and the beat of his heart, she drifted off to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, you know Marissa and Brian are freakin' adorable! LOL!