Status: Completed

One Wild Night

Off to California, But Not For a Vacation

Marissa wanted to die. She wanted the ground to open up and swallow her. She'd never felt worse in her life, not even in that moment the doctor had confirmed she was pregnant.

The expression on Sabrina's face after Marissa had made her announcement had ripped Marissa's heart in two. And now, Sabrina was somewhere in the venue, being comforted by Cecelia, Carmen, and Jess. And Marissa was sitting in the dressing room with Synyster Gates and Zacky Vengeance.

"Are you sure?" Brian asked for about the twentieth time in five minutes.

Marissa fought against impatience. "Yes! As I've already explained, you two are the only men I've ever had sex with. So, unless God just decided to make me pregnant, one of you is the father."

Brian looked at Zacky, who hadn't spoken since he'd heard Marissa's news. "But..." He raked his fingers through his already-mussed black hair. "Weren't you on birth control?"

"No. There was no need for me to be. I wasn't sexually active. I was a virgin."

"Who obviously didn't plan to stay that way," Brian muttered.

Marissa glared. "I did intend to stay that way. It's not my fault you and Zacky are so damn...tempting."

Brian stared at her, obviously debating whether or not to respond to Marissa's compliment. He chose not to and continued his questioning. "Didn't we use condoms?"

Marissa frowned. "I know you and I did the first time. But after that, I was too caught up in the fact that I was fucking my two favorite rock stars, so I didn't notice anything else going on." She raised her eyes to Brian's face, gaze mildly accusing. "And you were just drunk enough that you probably tore it putting it on and didn't notice or didn't care. Same with Zee."

Brian began pacing.

Marissa sighed. "The only way to know for sure is to have a paternity test done."

Brian dug out a pack of cigarettes and lit one, inhaling deeply. "Fine. But if it's not mine, I don't ever want to see you again."

Marissa fought not to flinch. "Okay."

"I'm serious." Brian looked her directly in the eyes. "If you come to a show, do not get in the very front because I will have you thrown out."

"Don't worry about it," Marissa snapped. "Now that I know what an asshole you really are, I hate this fucking band anyway."

Zacky glared at Brian reproachfully. "Nice, man."

"Well." Brian's tone was defensive. "You can't tell me you're happy about this?"

Zacky shrugged. "We made a decision to have sex. We weren't careful enough, and now we're dealing with the consequences. If it turns out she's lying and neither of us is the dad, great. If she's being honest and the father is either me or you, we'll figure it out. That's all we can do. But we're adults, which means we have to take responsibility for our actions. We can't just leave her to deal with this alone."

Brian nodded. "I guess you're right."

A fresh wave of guilt washed over Marissa. Zacky was obviously a decent guy, and she had taken away Sabrina's chances with him. Tears sprang to Marissa's eyes. She wondered if Sabrina would ever speak to her again.

"We're going to a doctor I trust for the test, though," Brian said.

"Doctor Clifton?" Zacky guessed.

"Damn right," Brian confirmed.

"And where is Doctor Clifton?" Marissa wanted to know.

"California," Brian said as if it was so obvious.

Marissa shook her head. "That's not going to work."

Brian dropped his cigarette on the floor and ground it out with the toe of his sneaker. "And why not?"

"I can't just take off to California! I have a job and--"

"You just took off to Las Vegas, didn't you?"

"Only for two nights! We're going home tomorrow morning. Syn, I can't afford an extended stay in California! Y'all are the ones with the money. Why don't y'all come to Alabama and--"

"No," Brian refused.

"You're just trying to get out of having the test done!" Marissa yelled.

"Hold up!" Zacky raised his hands before Brian could speak. "I have a solution."

Marissa and Brian waited expectantly.

"You can stay with me," Zacky offered.

Marissa was shocked into silence. Finally, she found her voice. "I'll have to bring at least one of my girls."

"That's fine," Zacky said. "I have room enough for the four of them, too."

Marissa had the sudden desire to hug Zacky. "Thanks, Zacky."

"No problem."

"Now that that's settled," Brian piped up. "We'll be back home in four days. You and your friends can fly out then."

Marissa nodded and stood up.

"Bye, sweetheart," Zacky said softly, giving Marissa a brief hug. "There will be five tickets waiting for you girls at the airport Tuesday morning."

"Thank you," Marissa said again. "See you later."

Zacky released his hold on her and she waved at Brian before walking out of the dressing room.

****

The next three days were hell. Marissa spent them trying to convince Sabrina to speak to her, but it just wasn't happening.

Tuesday morning, Carmen and Jess picked Marissa up from her apartment. Sabrina was riding to the airport with Cecelia. Marissa hung back with Carmen while Jess, Sabrina, and Cecelia went to get the tickets. She didn't want to be around Sabrina because Sabrina wasn't even looking at her, and that broke Marissa's heart.

The flight was long and tense. Marissa was the only one who couldn't sleep. She had dreamed of going to California with her best friends for so long. She'd never imagined that when it actually came true, it would be a nightmare.

They landed at the airport in Los Angeles late in the afternoon. The girls filed off the plane and navigated a path to baggage claim. Each girl retrieved her luggage, then they went outside. Zacky had promised to arrange a ride from the airport.

"Hey, girls."

Sabrina, Carmen, Jess, Cecelia, and Marissa turned at the sound of his voice. Zacky approached and brushed a kiss across Marissa's cheek. Sabrina's jaw clenched almost imperceptibly.

"How was your flight?" he asked.

None of the other girls said anything, so Marissa answered. "It was alright."

Zacky led them to his red Durango. Marissa sat up front; Sabrina, Carmen, Jess, and Cecelia piled into the back.

Marissa lost track of time during the drive to Huntington Beach and Zacky's house. She gazed out at the passing scenery, not really seeing it, immersed in her own thoughts. Zacky seemed to realize that none of the girls felt like talking. He put in a CD and kept his mouth shut.

They reached his house. Matt, Johnny, and Jason Berry (friend and stage tech to A7X) came around the side of the house and helped with the girls' luggage. The men absolutely refused to let Marissa carry anything.

Zacky showed the girls to their rooms. Marissa was given the guest room closest to Zacky's bedroom. He stepped inside behind her and closed the door softly.

"Are you okay?" His voice was right at the volume one might use at the hospital in the room of a dying patient.

Marissa plopped down on the edge of the bed. Her eyes and nose were burning with unshed tears. "I've been better."

Zacky hesitantly came over and sat next to her. "It's going to be okay."

"Says you."

"Marissa--"

"No!" Marissa interrupted. "I don't want to hear it. I've never wanted children, and I'm fucking pregnant! I was a virgin, and now I'm in California, waiting on a paternity test because I had sex with two different guys. And to make matters even worse, one of my best friends in the world can't even stand to be in the same room as me! So, I'd say things are pretty far from okay."

Zacky wrapped an arm around her shoulders and hugged her against him.

"I'm going to cry," she warned.

Zacky chuckled. "That's fine, sweetheart. I promised to be here, didn't I? If that's part of taking care of you, I can handle it."

Marissa shifted, burying her face in Zacky's chest as the tears came. He put both arms around her, holding her tightly and rocking her a little.

"I can't d-do this," she sobbed.

"Shh," he soothed. "Yes, you can."

"I can't," she argued. "I should've just gone ahead with the abortion."

Zacky stiffened. Marissa lifted her head and looked at him. He met her eyes. She couldn't help noticing how impossibly green his irises were.

"An abortion?" he repeated, wiping away the tears on her cheeks.

"The doctor that told me I was pregnant mentioned it because I kinda sorta freaked out when I heard the news."

"And you didn't do it because...?"

"The girls thought Brian should know he was going to be a daddy. They thought it was only fair to include him in the decision since he's the dad."

Zacky cocked an eyebrow. "They didn't think I deserved any input?"

"They didn't know you might be the daddy."

"Oh. I thought you only hid that fact from Brian."

Marissa shook her head. "Nope. I couldn't tell the girls because Sabrina..." she trailed off, looking away from his curious gaze.

"That's why you two aren't speaking?" Zacky guessed.

Marissa blushed. "Stupid, huh? But, you know, we each had our favorite and you were hers. I betrayed her."

"You can't tell me that had she been in your position, she wouldn't have done the same thing."

Marissa shrugged. "Maybe. And I'd probably be pissed, too."

"She's not pissed. She's jealous."

"Whatever. I just hate that she's not speaking to me. This would all be easier to deal with if I could just get my girl back."

"She'll come around." He hesitated. "And, you know, there are other options besides abortion. You could put the baby up for adoption."

Marissa nodded. "I know. I guess I'll make that decision with either you or Brian once we find out who's the daddy." Stifling a yawn, she rested her head on Zacky's shoulder. Her eyes slid shut involuntarily...

****

There was a tap on the door, bringing Marissa back to consciousness. She sat up, peering through the darkness at her unfamiliar surroundings.

"Rissa?" The door opened a crack and Cecelia stuck her head in. "Are you awake?"

"Yeah." Marissa switched on the lamp on the bedside table.

Cecelia walked in and perched on the edge of the bed. "Did you have a good nap?"

Marissa nodded.

"Good."

"How long was I asleep?" Marissa queried.

"About five hours. No one wanted to disturb you. Zacky said you just passed out while the two of you were talking."

Marissa stretched, arching her back and raising her arms high above her head. "It's weird. That was the best I've slept since, well, since I took that over-the-counter pregnancy test."

Cecelia smiled. "I think you're feeling a little more relaxed now that you know Zacky or Brian is going to step up and take care of his child."

Marissa raked her fingers through her hair. "It does help knowing I'm not going to be alone."

"You wouldn't have been alone anyway, " Cecelia reminded her.

"I know. But putting the responsibility of my mistake on you girls would've made me feel guilty."

"You're just being silly. We love you and you know we'll always be there no matter what you do."

"Except Sabrina when I sleep with Zacky."

Cecelia frowned. "Sweetie, you've gotta give her time. She's not mad, she's just--"

"Jealous and hurt. I know." Marissa was silent for a few seconds, wishing she knew what to say to make the jealousy and the hurt go away right now. "So," she said eventually. "Why did you wake me up?"

"Marissa?" Matt appeared in the doorway. He flashed Cecelia a smile. "Hey, Cecelia."

"Hey," she murmured.

Matt focused on Marissa. "We're getting food. What do you want?"

"What are my options?"

Matt feigned exasperation. "Marissa, you're carrying a Deathbat baby. You can have whatever you want."

Cecelia and Marissa exchanged a glance, and a knowing smile curved Cecelia's lips.

"Chinese," the two girls said simultaneously.

An amused half-smile quirked one corner of Matt's mouth. "Chinese it is."
♠ ♠ ♠
After making ZV so mean in "Breaking Their Hold," I guess I felt like I needed to make him a total doll in this one. Lol.

So....how many people think Zack is the dad and how many people think it will be Brian?

Read and enjoy, comment and subscribe.