Icy Hearts

one of one

Snowflakes whisper against the window, capturing the attention of the two children who stand, watching the same act of falling repeated over and over again, transfixed with awe and sheer wonder. Their parents are still asleep, but won’t be for much longer.

They wake to the cries of, “It’s snowing! Happy Christmas, Mummy and Daddy!” ringing through the air, clear as church bells.

All four go downstairs. The children longingly finger the presents, the paper, bind themselves together with ribbons and by the excitement of today’s celebrations, so much so that they fail to notice the absence of their older sister. The parents distract themselves with the preparation of food, not wanting to think about their own failures just for one day.

For the children, they agree. One special day.

It’s for the best, right?

Neither trust their own judgement now, even doubting the choices of presents when sharp squeals of delight resonate from the living room, doubting even when their little girl runs into the kitchen and clings to their knees like letting go would end everything in existence, thanking them for her gifts.

Outside, in the bible-blackness of the desolate streets, their eldest daughter shivers and cries, a china doll broken.