Twist of Fate

Bruised & In Despair

Serenity

Aujourd’hui est un jour nouveau. That’s what my grandpa would always tell me when I was little. Even now, from time to time, he would still tell me that. Everyday is a new day. Living in the past is for the weak. Therefore, I choose to live in the moment. Whatever happened the day before does not matter; it’s the present that I worry about.

Saturday is the past, it’s Monday, the first day of senior year but for some odd reason, my mind keeps on wandering to the amazing kiss I shared with a certain brunette. No matter how much I try to not to think about it, I can’t seem to get it off my mind.

A honk pulled me out of my reverie. I have been sitting out on the front porch waiting for Matt, my best friend. Since I hated driving early in the morning for unknown reasons, he has been picking me up. I met him in freshman year when I moved here. To be honest, I hated his guts. He was an arrogant son of a bitch—but then again, I am a bigger pain in the ass than he is—and is still is. If he did not have the same passion for music that I have then I don’t think I would have even considered looking his direction.

Now don’t get me wrong. Matt is not bad looking at all, far from it. In fact, he is hot. He’s Italian, he plays soccer, he can sing and can play the guitar, he has a sexy lip ring, he has green eyes—I am a sucker for green eyes—and he can be sweet (sometimes). Just to sum it up, he is one of the most sought after guys in the school. Why I’m even associated with him is beyond me.

“Hey,” he said turning to me as he stopped at a red light, “you seem out of it today. Nervous?”

I scoffed, “Nervous? Me? You know me better than that.” I hit him in the arm lightly as the light turned green.

“It was just a question, geez,” he defended. “How was the party by the way? I hope you didn’t have too much fun without me and is thinking about abandoning me for someone else.”

Not really wanting to think about anything about that night, I just sighed and turned the stereo up. Reckless & Relentless by Asking Alexandria blasted from the speakers.

I am rock and roll, living a life we can only dream of
I am rock and roll at its finest


<>.<>.<>.<>


Fuck yes! I have all my classes with Matt. This is a miracle considering we didn’t have a single class together last year. So far, so good. Maybe this year isn’t going to be as bad as I thought it was going to be. What could possibly go wrong if I have my best friend/body guard with me wherever I go? That's right, NOTHING.

We were talking in AP Calculus BC when a familiar looking skunk haired boy sat next to me and pretty much tackled me into a hug. Can anyone spell awkward?

“Hi! I’m Jack! It’s nice to meet you, new classmate, who’s going to let me cheat because that’s how I got into this class in the first place,” he said in one breath as he let me go.

Right. He’s Jack Barakat. His best friend. He the guy who’s always jumping around, yelling profanities, or hugging people he sees. This should be fun. “Hi.”

“I’m her best friend and she wont even help me with my gym homework so I wouldn’t count on her if I were you.” Matt said with an amused expression on his face.

Jack looked confused. “We get homework for gym? Since when? Maybe that’s why I failed that class last year.”

I don’t know if he was being sarcastic or not. He had a serious thoughtful look plastered across his face though. What a weird kid. To be fair, he seems like a fun person to be around. He’s a very interesting character. By the way he acts, I would not be surprised if there was a five year old trapped in his seventeen year old body. It's almost impossible to see him sad or not hyper.

<>.<>.<>.<>


After school, Matt and I were walking to the soccer field, which means we have to pass by the football field. With my luck it was not really a surprise when a football hit the back of my head. I was fucking painful but I acted like I didn't even feel it. This is the exact reason why I have no interest in any sport that involves throwing, or kicking anything. I only put up with soccer because my best friend/my ride plays it. And because soccer players Cristiano Ronaldo are hot.

“What the fuck man!” Matt glared at whoever was behind me. I honestly did not care who hit me so I didn’t even bother to look. Matt on the other hand clearly had somethingelse in mind. “Watch where you throw that fucking egg you faggot football players call a ball.” He stressed the word football by putting air quotes around it

I dragged him by the arm to avoid any more trouble, or at least I tried to but would not budge. He is strong. I guess that’s what happens when you work out like crazy everyday.

A voice scoffed, “First off, I am not a football player. Second off, at least everyone in America actually appreciates football, unlike soccer.” This guy has balls. Everyone knows not to trash talk soccer in front of Matt.

Alex’s brown eyes met my hazel ones as I turned around. This just went from bad to very bad. “Matt, let’s go. Your coach is probably wondering where you are.” I wanted nothing more than to get away from Alex at the moment.

“No. This fucker just hit you with a fucking rubber egg and insulted soccer, which happens to be the real football.”

I said, “Then he’s not worth it. Just walk away, Matt. Please.”

His face softened as he looked at me.

“That’s right Flyzik, listen to your girlfriend and just walk away cause that’s what you do right? You’re a pussy."

As he spat out the last word, Matt's fist collided with his right eye. It was a classic fist-meet-face. I would have probably just watched them fight if I knew my best friend wasn't going to get hurt. The fact that this was--sort of--because of me made me feel sick in the stomach. He always feels like he has to protect me.

The soccer team and some football players were running towards us. I didn't know what to do. They were literally on the grass rolling around, wrestling each other. Matt was obviously winning. Given his size and his muscles, Alex doesn't really have a chance against him when it comes to wrestling.

The coaches and some jocks broke them apart. Alex's was face fucked up. His lip was busted, his eyes were almost completely swollen shut. I think even his nose was broken. Let's just say he did not look like his pretty self. Matt managed to get away only with a busted lip and bruises.

"I told you to let it go," I hit Matt's arm, which was probably a bad idea since he flinched.

"I'm sorry. He deserved it anyway. Are you okay?"

"Me? You're the one who has a bleeding and bruised face." I took his arm and led him to the health office.

Alex was already there when we got there. He was holding an ice pack to his eye. The nurse glanced at Matt and shook her head in disapproval. She left after she mumbled something about getting more cotton balls.

The guys glared at each other and looked ready to attack again. Luckily, Matt's coach came and dragged him outside the infirmary to talk. To say he looked pissed would be an understatement. You can practically see the smoke coming out of his ears.

I walked up to Alex and softly said, "I'm sorry. He tends to overreact sometimes. And you sort if made it worse by insulting soccer."

"I should be the one saying sorry. That must've hurt." He took the ice pack away from his swollen eye.

I took it from him and proceeded to nurse his black eye. Then I took a wet cloth to wipe away the dried blood off his face. The cut on his fluffy caterpillar-esque eyebrows was still slightly bleeding. As I was trying to make it stop, he caught my wrist and just stared at me dead in the eye. Flashbacks from Saturday night flooded my brain, as our faces got closer. I could already feel his hot breath on my lips when someone cleared their throat. Busted. Again
♠ ♠ ♠
TITLE CREDIT: Makeup - Escape The Fate

It's been so long >.<
I'll try to up another chapter and I have CST nest week. GROSS.