Twist of Fate

What A Day

Serenity

All eyes were on me and not in a good way. People were whispering and staring as I passed by them. They probably heard about the fight between Matt and Alex yesterday. Great. What better way to start the year than having everyone talk smack about you.

What I saw plastered on my locker door almost made me crawl under a rock. I ripped it out and Slut. Skank. Whore. Tramp. Prostitute. Hag. are just some of the things written on there. I felt an unfamiliar sting in my eyes as hot tears cascaded down my cheeks. I didn’t even notice I was crying until my tears hit the piece of paper I was holding, blurring some of the words.

I feel like such a wimp. I know I shouldn’t give two flying fucks about what anyone in this school thinks of me but it hurts. To know that everyone hated me just sucks. Where the hell is Matt when I need him?

As the first warning bell rang, I ran to the soccer field and sat on the bleachers. I didn’t want to go to class and face everyone. I can’t. I don’t want to relive that moment in eighth grade. The real reason why I moved to Baltimore. I wanted needed a fresh start.

My hands were shaking as I searched my bag for my phone. More tears made their way down my cheeks. I was full on crying at this moment. I hate high school. It’s a stupid place to be. I just want this all to be over. Laughing faces and taunting voices flood my head as I continually tried to look for my damn phone. Memories of eighth grade flashed before my eyes. Everyone made fun of me because of my so called best friend.

I was not successful in finding my phone; instead, I found something else. Something that I thought I got rid of a long time ago. I stared at the cold metal in my hands. Just once. Just today.

As the old, blood crusted, blade was about to break the already scarred skin on my wrist it was knocked out of my hand by a small piece of rock. It didn’t hit my hand hard but my grip on the blade wasn’t the tightest. I was almost grateful that I hadn’t cut myself again because I know that once I start I won’t be able to stop. It's like heroine. Once you start doing it, you'll want more next time. The cuts get deeper and deeper everyday. Before you know it, you're dead.

“It’s not worth it,” a guy I don’t think I’ve seen before told me. “Don’t give those people the satisfaction of knowing they’re getting to you. Don’t let them win.” He picked the blade up from the neatly kept grass of the field and sat next to me.

Who the hell is this guy? I swear, these past few days the most random guys started talking to me. Maybe that’s where this shit started…at that stupid party. I wish I never let my cousin talk me into going. Look at where it got me.

He gave me a smile, showing his perfectly straight white teeth. This guy can be a toothpaste model. Damn. “I’m Rian by the way.”

I wiped my tears of and forced a smile. “I’m—“

“Serenity,” he finished for me. “I know you. I’ve been in your music class since freshman year.”

I immediately felt bad for not recognizing him. “Oh. I’m sorry. I kind of don’t really remember you.”

He just chuckled. “Rian Dawson? Remember I was your lab partner for bio in freshman year? I kind of got rid of the shaggy hair.”

Now it’s my turn to laugh. “Oh my god. You look so different.” He really did. He now had buzzed hair and a little bit of muscle.

We stayed there talking like we’ve been best friends for a long time until the bell signaling first period was done rang. Out of instinct, I’m guessing, we both ran to the parking lot to keep anyone from seeing us. The last thing I really need right now is to be seen with another guy. I want that stupid buzz around the school about me to die down as soon as possible.

Stopping in front of a blue and white 1968 Camaro, Rian fished his keys from his pockets. “Let’s get out of here.”

“To where exactly?”

He shrugged and opened the door for me. “I don’t know. Wherever this thing will take us.”

After driving around in circles for about thirty minutes we ended up at a Guitar Center. Rian said he needed to pick up a couple of new drumsticks. That’s the thing about drums, they require drumsticks to play and they’re pretty easy to break or loose. With guitars, picks aren’t really required. It’s the guitarist’s choice to play with or without one. Rian and I have been arguing about which is better, drums or guitar. Don’t get me wrong because I love playing both, it’s just that my loyalty is on the guitar. It’s the very first instrument I’ve ever played in my life. It’s basically the thing that introduced me to music.

As Rian and I passed by the aisle where they have the headphones, microphones, cables, etc. I thought I heard someone call my name. Must be because I haven’t had anything to eat since two days ago. I didn’t eat anything yesterday because I really didn’t have time. Yeah, that’s it.

While Rian was eyes a glowing drum stick, I felt a tap on my shoulder. Jack Bassam Barakat. Ugh. Shoot me now. He saw Alex and I almost kiss yesterday. He’s probably the one who started the talk around school. Or it could be Zack, cause he actually saw us making out. How would it look not that I’m with Rian, who happens to be Alex’s band’s drummer?

“Why didn’t you come to school today?” he pouted. I have to say, he looks pretty adorable right now. “I had to leave in the middle of Calculus cause it was so boring.”

Why the hell is he pretending like nothing’s wrong? Now I’m pretty sure he has something to do with this. What difference will it make if I was in class today? How will that be less boring? Oh yeah, because if I’m there he can make fun of me for his entertainment.

“Uh, I have to go,” I said, “I’m really not feeling good right now.” It’s true. It feels like the whole world is spinning and like I’m about to pass out any moment.

From my peripheral vision, I saw Rian give me the same worried look Jack is giving me right now. “Yeah, you’re looking kind of pale. Let’s get you home.”

“Ri? What are you doing here?” Jack now had that confused look he constantly wears on his face.

“I saw her skipping so I decided to get her out of school before anyone saw us,” he shrugged.

That was the last thing I remembered before everything turned black.
♠ ♠ ♠
Feedback anyone?

I edited this a little bit. Nothing major, just spelling and grammar check.

Thanks to xkristinehegg :)