Status: done.

You Drain The Life From Me.

This promise doesn't have to be too loud.

Garrett was there before I was.

"How did you get here so fast?" I asked.

"I was already here when you called."

"Why?"

"I had some thinking to do."

I handed him the smoothie I had gotten him on the way to the park. "Thank you, babe. Now, what did you want to talk about?"

I sat down next to him and sighed. "Stephen wants me to move in with him."

Garrett stopped slurping from the cup and stared at me. "What?"

"He's getting a new apartment and he wants me to live with him."

"Are you...are you gonna do it?"

"Well, that's what I came here to talk about. I don't know what to do. And I know I should talk it over with John and my parents but--"

"Leigh, why did you come to me with this?"

I sighed. "I don't know," I squeaked. "You were the first person that came to mind. Because you know how in middle school, we always had that plan to move in together after high school ended? We'd both get jobs. You would get one at the record store and I would get one at the bookstore."

A sad smile appeared on his face. "I do remember that, actually."

I nodded with an identical smile. "Garrett, I don't know what to do."

"Does he make you happy?"

"Yeah." But not as much as you do.

"Do you see yourself with a future with him?"

"Yup."

"A good future?"

"Yeah, I mean, he'll be there for me. No matter what."

Garrett nodded. "Then maybe you should think about moving in with him. I know it's a big step, but if you think that's what's best, then, yeah. Do it."

I turned to him suddenly with water around the rims of my eyes. "But I don't know if I love him like I used to love you."

Garrett was silent. He wrapped his arms around me and let me cry into his chest. "I miss you, a lot. I mean, I like being with Stephen, but it's not the same. He hasn't known me since I was seven."

"I miss you too, Leigh. Like hell. When did this ever get so out of hand?"

"The baby," I whispered. "It started when you told me to tell Stephen that the baby was his."

I could feel Garrett frowning. I could tell by the way he clenched his fist and the way he took a deep breath and let it out quietly. I knew this boy so well.

"I want us to be friends again," he whispered suddenly, "I know it'll be hard, but if I can't have you in my life as my girlfriend, I want to have you in my life as my best friend."

I tried to say something, but he kept talking. "This is probably the second most reckless and stupid decision I have ever made, but I want to try."

"What's the first stupid decision?"

"Um, having sex...with you...because now you're pregnant, and then there's Rachael, and then telling you to tell Stephen the baby was his."

I nodded quietly. "I wanna try this."

He looked at me with surprised eyes. "You do?"

"I think it's worth a shot. Our friendship is worth fighting for. I'm not throwing away a friendship that I've spent ten years building. There's no way."

His grip on me tightened and he kissed me on the forehead.

"I love you Leigh, I love you like a best friend should."
♠ ♠ ♠
I got a ton of comments on the last chapter, so thank you thank you thank you! I actually really like how this one turned out. It's a huge turning point in Leigh and Garrett's relationship, don't you think? Hey, if I was friends with you on Quizilla, and you're reading this, you should really message me! I miss you guys! You were my first writing friends (: And how do you guys like the new layout?

Please comment and subscribe <3