Status: done.

You Drain The Life From Me.

You were the roots that tied to my feet.

"Fuck."

"What?"

"Stephen."

"What about him?"

"He's coming home today."

We still hadn't talked.

It wasn't upsetting me as much as it probably should, what with Garrett here to keep me company and all.

"Fuck," said Garrett, repeating my phrase from earlier.

"What are we going to do?"

"Nothing. Roll with the punches. I mean, it is my fault."

"How?"

"I asked you to move in with me. I really shouldn't have done that without asking. But I did it without asking because I love you."

"And I love you too."

"I have to apologize to him."

"And we all know how much you hate doing that."

"I do."

"But you know what we have to do right now, though?"

"What?"

"Get up."

"No!"

"Leigh, it's like two in the afternoon."

"So?"

"Lazy."

"Ugly."

"Fatty."

"Turd."

"Dillhole."

"Dickface."

"Leigh," he groaned, "I have band practice!"

"Oh! That reminds me, my mom wants you guys to come over for Sunday dinner."

"Which is tonight...?"

I nodded in response and shoved him off the bed, sending a sweet smile his way.

"If I didn't love you..." he grumbled.

• • •

Pat's garage was the place where I had first heard the boys play their first song together, ever. I believe it was a song called Undressing The Words.

And now, I was hearing them play the song again for the millionth place, in the same garage, on the same couch, with an Otter Pop in my hand.

I caught Garrett throwing a wink my way. Lauren elbowed me gently in the arm.

"Stephen's coming back today, isn't he?"

I tried my best to seem enthusiastic about his return, but I couldn't be excited about it. If I felt anything at all about the situation, it would be far from enthusiasm. It would be fear, and anxiousness.

I had no idea where this left Garrett and me. What if Stephen came back, and I didn't break up with him? What if I did? What would happen? Would Garrett just drop everything that we had? Or would he fight for our relationship?

"Y-Yeah. He's coming for Sunday dinner."

"Oh, that's good! How's the baby doing?"

"He's doing wonderful, actually!" I informed her with a genuine smile.

"Pat told me! Gosh, this is so exciting! Have you and Stephen picked out names yet?"

"Lu-"

"Lu...?"

"Um, no. We haven't," I said quickly, "But I'll tell you when we do!"

She smiled and when the boys finished their song, I quietly mumbled something about going to get water. I stood - with some difficulty - but made it up the stairs and into the Kirch kitchen. I was starting to get the hang of this pregnancy thing.

I hadn't even taken two steps into the kitchen when I was grabbed by the hand and pulled into the first floor bathroom, the door locking behind me and Garrett.

"Babe, what's wrong?"

"N-nothing. Nothing's wrong, why would you think that something's wrong?"

He looked at me skeptically. "Really? You really wanna believe that I can't tell when something's wrong? You're biting your lip, you're not looking me in the eye, you're fidgeting, and you're bouncing your leg up and down."

"God, is it that obvious?"

"Well, it is after-"

"Ten years, I know."

"So what's up?"

"Wait, why'd you have to bring me to the bathroom for this?"

"Um," he scratched his head, "I...uh, wanted privacy, I guess?"

I chuckled, looking down at my feet.

His smile faded. "Seriously, what's wrong?"

I bit down even harder on my lip. "It's just that...I don't...when he comes back, what's going to happen, you know? What's going to happen with us? Will we go back to normal? What is normal with us? I just, I don't know."

He sighed. I was talking about the inevitable, "What happens when Stephen comes back?" We had been putting it off all this time and avoiding it constantly.

"Leigh, I-I don't know what to say. What do you want to happen?"

"I want everything to stay the same."

"But it can't. He's your boyfriend."

I closed my eyes and leaned back on the counter, hands gripping the edge.

"I need to break up with him. And I should have, but he's a good guy, you know? He helped me through a lot. And I guess I did love him at one point. But I don't anymore. I-I don't love Stephen, I love you. I'm breaking up with him tonight."

I let out a huge breath and when I opened my eyes, Garrett's grin was as bright as the sun.

"Do you really mean that, Leigh?"

"Well, I uh, maybe not tonight tonight. Maybe uh-"

"I don't even care how long it takes, as long as I can do this in public."

"Do what-"

I was cut off when his lips crashed onto mine with so much wanting, passion, and needing. He smiled and set his hands on my waist, deepening the kiss. When his lips went to my neck, I whispered, "I love you and that's never going to change, Gare. I can promise you that."

"Hey! Garrett! Jeez, what are you doing in there?!" yelled someone from outside the bathroom door. They were banging on it. "We need someone to play bass!"

"Alright, Pat. I'll be out in a minute."

Garrett pressed his forehead to mine, closing his eyes and sighing. I quickly pressed my lips to his once more and he moved back and I pushed myself off the counter. He pulled open the door, pressing a hand to the small of my back, guiding me out.

• • •

Garrett had come by just a mere half hour ago to pack up all of his stuff and officially move out of his temporary home.

Now I was sitting on the couch, folding laundry. How It's Made was on TV. Garrett had an odd obsession with that show, and he had gotten me into it too, unfortunately. I was hooked.

While I was folding the Cardinology tank top that Garrett had given me, there was a slight sound at the door. It was the sound of a key being shoved into a doorknob. There was a click and then the door was being pushed open. My real boyfriend stepped through the door, suitcase and backpack in tow.

I froze.

The first thing I noticed was the bags under his eyes. Then, his frown. He didn't look happy to be home, not at all.

His lips let out a sigh and I stood.

"Leigh, I-"

"I'm so-"

"No, I should-"

"Stephen, I'm sorry."

He set his suitcase down and slipped his backpack off. "About what?"

"About lying, about everything."

"It's not a big deal."

"It is, though. It's a huge deal. It's your apartment and I had no right to let him stay here. It was immature. I'm sorry."

The corners of his mouth turned slightly upwards and he opened his arms, which I stepped into.

The truth was, I loved his hugs. They were so comforting.

But I remembered the promise I had made to Garrett.

Not tonight, I resolved. Not just yet.

"Did you see your family already?"

He nodded.

"Go shower, babe. I'll load up your laundry. And wear something presentable. My mom wants us over for dinner."

He kissed me on the forehead and when he was gone, I let out a sigh. How was I going to break up with Stephen?

• • •

"Welcome home, Stephen!" my mother trilled.

He beamed at her and engulfed her in a hug. I followed suit.

"How's he doing?" she asked, eyes pointed directly at my stomach.

"Wonderful," I answered, "The doctor said he should start kicking anytime soon."

"If he's anything like you were, Leigh, he'll be kicking up a storm," she laughed.

Stephen chuckled and I pulled him to the living room where John, Garrett, Jared, Pat, Kenny, Shane, and Ross sat.

Kennedy jumped up and wrapped Stephen in a man hug. But in my opinion, it was much more than a man hug. I was leaning towards homosexual.

I giggled and said hello to the boys, each giving me a hug, Shane of course hugging me tightest.

Garrett's hug was hesitant, nothing like the hugs he had been giving me in the past week.

I shrugged it off, and took Stephen's hand, pulling him into the kitchen where my father was.

"Hello Mr. O'Callaghan!" chirped Stephen.

They shook hands, but my dad surprisingly pulled him in by the hand, hugging him and clapping him on the back.

Stephen was just as shocked as I was. My dad laughed, shrugging. "He's part of the family now."

"Um, Mr. O'Callaghan, can I ask you something, in private?"

I raised my eyebrows. What could Stephen possibly want to ask my father? My dad nodded and said, "Follow me out back. You can talk to me while I grill steaks."

Stephen nodded and did as he was told.

My mom wrapped an arm around my waist. "Come on, sweetheart, help me set the table."

I obliged and grabbed the pile of plates and utensils, following my mom to the big dining table.

"What's going on out there?" she smiled curiously, nodding to the two laughing men visible through the window.

"I have no idea! Stephen said he wanted to talk to dad about something."

Her mouth dropped open, but she composed herself and a knowing smile graced her face.

"I see."

"What? What do you think it is?"

She tutted, the way that only moms do. "John Cornelius! Get your feet off the coffee table!"

"Sorry, ma!"

"Mom, you avoided my question," I whined.

"Just wait and see, sweetie. Wait and see."

I grumbled. I finished setting the table and sat down on the couch next to Jared. Pat sat on the arm of the couch next to me, bouncing up and down like always.

There was some movie playing on TV. I think it was That Thing You Do!, Kennedy's favorite.

"Again?"

Kennedy's head snapped towards mine. "Don't tell me you're gonna give me crap for watching this too."

I laughed. "Of course not! I love this movie. I was, after all, the one who showed it to you."

He laughed with me. "That's right!"

We were just about done with the movie when my mom called, "Kids! Dinner's ready!"

There was a stampede as the boys rushed to the dinner table. I rolled my eyes and set my hand down on the arm rest, carefully pushing myself up and off the couch.

I noticed that Garrett stayed behind, and that he was walking towards me.

"Here, let me help you."

He grabbed my other hand, and he gently pushed me by the back, steadying me on my feet. I smiled widely in thanks and kissed him on the cheek.

Immediately after, his cheeks turned red and he smiled.

"Thank you."

"Anytime."

We walked to the dinner table together and he pulled my chair out for me, helping me sit down.

Even if we weren't together romantically, Garrett was still a wonderful friend and gentleman. He waited until I was situated until he himself sat down across from me.

My dad and Stephen came in from the backyard, two plates of steaks in tow.

Stephen sat down next to me and my dad sat at the head of the table.

I could practically see the drool dripping from the boys' mouths. Boys will be boys, I thought.

The boys grabbed their steaks and my mom and I did the same, but we did it in a more calm fashion while the boys basically lunged for them, competing on who would get the better steak.

Crazy kids.

As force of habit, Garrett and I played footsie under the table as we ate.

No one noticed, of course, until John dropped his napkin and crawled under to get it. When he sat back up, he shot me a confused look, which I ignored.

Halfway into the meal, Stephen pushed his chair back and stood up, clearing his throat.

"I have something to say."

My mom practically fell out of her chair with excitement and my dad just kept chewing, gesturing for Stephen to continue.

The boys stopped talking and all eyes went to Stephen, who turned to me.

"Leigh Michelle O'Callaghan, I love you. You know that. I love you with all my heart and soul and being. You and that baby are my whole world and I would do anything for you two. And I know some things happened while I was out on tour, and things got pretty rough, but we pulled through and I want you to know that I trust you, I want you, I need you in my life forever. And I want to be there for you for the rest of your life. I'm going to try to be a better person for you. This is a really messy speech; I didn't exactly plan it beforehand. I figured I would wing it."

My mouth dropped open and my eyes practically turned into saucers with how wide they were getting.

I swallowed the food in my mouth, waiting for Stephen to finish his speech.

He wasn't getting at what I thought he was, was he?

There was no way. I didn't even-

Before I could comprehend what was happening, Stephen was down on one knee, pulling a ring out.

"Leigh, will you marry me?"
♠ ♠ ♠
I took way too long to post this, omg. I had no idea how to start it, but I knew exactly how I wanted to end it. I know a lot of you will hate me for doing this, by the way. I'm sorry. But it was my plan all along (x I made this extra long to make up for lost time.

School is basically kicking my ass. I have too much homework and I've been so tired that I have no time to write at night. I'm trying my best though. I really want to finish this story soon.

Please comment and subscribe!