Status: completed

Fall Out Girl

Skylines and Turnstiles/ Honorable Mention II

September 11, 2001
9:20AM


Coach Ellenberg ran into the classroom and flipped on the TV. Disturbed from our first Bio exam, we looked up and watched the terror unfold on the screen. The video was cracked and it jumped around a lot, but we could see the Twin Towers coming down. Bodies were flinging out of the top windows- we never saw what became of them. There were people emerging from the smoke and dust clouds- they were covered in soot. Most had some sort of cloth obstructing their face.

We watched in silence for the next twenty minutes. We were too shocked. Was this real? Or a really bad horror movie? They played the same clips over and over again, updating the story every chance they could. A news reporter came on and said that another plane hit a side of the Pentagon. A fourth plane went down in Pennsylvania, the terrorists were overcome by the passengers. Was Chicago next? What’s going to happen?

As the classes changed throughout the day, one thing remained the same. Every class tossed aside their plans for that day. We were glued to the television screen. No one knew how to react. Was that it? Are there more? A lot of students were checked out over the course of the day. Everyone was worried that we would be targeted next. All after school practices were canceled for the day. I made Pat and Will ride home with Pete since I took the car straight to the hospital. I curled up right next to Parker’s still body like I did every day.

I told him what happened. I told him of my fears and what I thought should happen. I couldn’t help to think about what would happen if he were awake. I knew that that wouldn’t change what happened in New York and DC. I wondered how he would try to comfort me. What we would be doing instead of lying in a hospital bed, me clenched to him as his brain slowly shut down. Pat’s call woke me from my daydreaming.

“Mom wants you home now.” I hung up the phone. I kissed Parker’s forehead, then his cheek, and finally his chapped lips. I sighed and looked at his still form before standing up and walking out of the room.

“…she’s such a good girl. I wish this wouldn’t have to happen. She would have made a great daughter-in-law.” Darla smiled at the nursing staff.

“What has to happen?” I asked, coming up to the counter.

The nursing staff shifted uneasily before going off to do various things. Darla’s face paled almost immediately as she grabbed my hands with her trembling pale ones. Her eyes were wide as they looked into mine.

“He’s completely brain-dead, Emmy. There’s no hope. We’re taking him off life support tomorrow.”

I snatched my hands out of her grip and covered my mouth in shock. My eyes bulged out of their sockets. I was feeling a million emotions a minute. My breath caught in my throat as I staggered backward, grasping the wall for support. I looked into her pleading eyes.

“I’m sorry, Emmy, but we’re not the richest people. We can’t afford to keep a vegetable alive.” She said with a sad smile.

“But…he's only been like this for about a month! And he's your SON!”

“And he wouldn’t want to live like this. My son’s a fighter. He wouldn’t want to spend his life like this.”

“What time?”

“No, you’re going to school. Your mother would kill me!”

My eyes hardened. “What time, Darla?”

“Early. 7am.”

I nodded and walked away. Out of all days, she just had to choose this one to end her son’s life!!!! I knew it was hard for her to do, but I still felt resentment. I sped home. Mom and Pat were on the couch, staring at a blank screen. They looked over at me simultaneously. I went over and sat in between them. They wrapped their arms around me as we stared at the black screen. It was off, as usual when something bad has happened. The last time we were like this is when he left us eight years before. Pat ran his hand mindlessly through my hair. He always did this when he thought I needed comfort. It was nice knowing that someone cared, even if their actions weren't helping.

~*~
I didn’t tell them about Parker. Instead, I snuck out of the house at 5:30 and drove to the hospital. I wanted to be there way before they pulled the plug. I turned off my cell phone and hid it in the glove compartment. “You can do this” I prepped myself before sliding out of the car and walking into the hospital like I did everyday for the past month. Darla and Jim, his parents, were already in there, saying their goodbyes. When they saw me, they smiled slightly and finished up. Jim put a hand on my shoulder before I went in. I wouldn’t meet their eyes. I couldn’t. I shrugged past him and went into the room. I knew they weren’t going to stay here. They had other things to do. Like always, I curled up on the bed next to him. I was willing to stay until his body gave up.

A nurse came in five minutes later and pulled his oxygen plug. I grimaced at his ragged breathing, but stayed by his side, my hand gripping his the entire time. Parker died at 11:11 that afternoon. He knew that that time was of particular importance to me. How he made it that long, no one knew. His heart monitor blared since it couldn’t feel the impulses anymore. The same nurse as before came in and shut it off.

“I’ll leave you two alone for a few minutes.”

I didn’t respond, I just held my boyfriend’s corpse tighter. I can’t believe this is the end.

“It’s not.” I knew that voice. I looked up and saw him plain as day. He wasn’t glowing like the movies make you believe. He was in his Cubs Jersey and his favorite pants, a football passed through his hands. I looked back at the corpse. It was still there. I looked back up to him. He laughed lightly. “This isn’t a dream. You’re not going to wake up with me still being alive. Listen, Sweetie, I don’t have much time. You know, gotta meet the new coach and all. I just wanted to tell you that I love you so much, but I’m not the one you were meant to be with. He’s out there, trust me, he is. I don’t want you to mourn over me for too long. Tell Mom that I love her to death. Tell the team that I’ll watch every game. And, Sweetheart, play our song at the funeral. Then move on. I understand.” His body began to fade away.

“Don’t…don’t leave me.”

“Sweetie, I’ll always be with you. You don’t have to ever worry about being alone.”

I closed my eyes and he was gone. When I opened them again, I was met with the corpse’s vacant eyes. “I will always love you.” I said in a cracked voice. I kissed his lips quickly and got up off of the bed. I passed the mortician on my way out of the hospital. She smiled sympathetically to me. I faked a smile back as I got on the elevator. I let out a long sigh as it slid on its tracks down to the main level. I went straight to my car and drove to the place that took all my worries away- the park.

I wandered around aimlessly for a good two hours. When my legs became heavy and tired, I sat on the swings and watched the kids play on the equipment. There was a little girl chasing a little boy around. I smiled. They reminded me so much of Pat and I when we were younger. I don’t know how long I sat on the swing. The park never seemed to have the restraint of time on it.

“Mind if I sit next to you?” I looked over. I was met with a pair of warm honey eyes.

“Not at all. I’m afraid that I won’t be much for conversation.” I looked back at the two kids.

They were gone. Much like everything else in my life.

“That’s fine. I’ll be content just watching you smile.” I looked back to see his pearly whites.

“That’s pretty sketchy to say.”

He shrugged. “So, my grandmother is really worried about you.”

“She has every right to be.” I shrugged back.

“Well, then, it’s settled. We’ll go and visit her!” he grabbed my hand and dragged me to my car. He somehow managed to grab my keys. I was shoved lightly into the passenger seat. He drove, rather recklessly, to Mrs. Whittaker’s house. She was tending to her garden.

“Peter, why aren’t you in school?!” she chastised her grandson. “Oh, Emmy!” she dropped her shears and pulled me into a big, comforting hug. “Let’s go inside.” She guided me into the hose and onto the overstuffed couch. She held me to her bosom and cradled the base of my head with her hand. Pete sat on the armchair across from us. “I heard about Parker. How is he?”

“Gone.” I whispered hoarsely, burrowing my head further into her. I didn’t see Pete get up and go into the kitchen, leaving us in privacy. He returned fifteen minutes later with a pot of tea and three cups.

“Here: Peppermint Tea with honey in it. It’ll help.” He offered kindly. I took one of the cups and sipped it slowly. I cradled the cup in my hand as if it were some kind of treasure trove that would save me. The hot liquid glided down my throat effortlessly.

“Thanks,” I said, finding my voice several minutes later. He smiled and sat back in his armchair.

“No problem.”

After a few moments of silence; each of us just sitting and sipping out tea, I finally spoke up.

“We need to do something for the victims’ families; a drive of some-sort.”

“Emmy, diverting your attention wont-”

“No, it’ll help.” I countered Pete’s argument.

“Well, you could do that. I wouldn’t do food, since that’s hard to ship. What about clothing and such? You could also collect money for restoration and such.” Mrs. Whittaker ran with my idea.

“Well, there’s also the soldiers, too. I heard that they were sent over ten minutes after the first tower was hit.” Pete suggested.

“We need to get the entire community involved then.”

“No problem, I’m sure that they’ll jump at the opportunity.” Our mind-sharing was interrupted with an obnoxious noise coming from Pete’s back pocket. He smiled sheepishly before answering it.

“Yea, she’s with me. Calm down, Dipshit, we’re at my grandma’s house. Okay, see you then.” He hung up the phone and looked at me. “Your twin is so worried about you. He and the guys are skipping the last two classes. They should be here soon.” I nodded and we started bouncing ideas off of each other again.

“Amelia Caterina Stump, do you know how worried I was when I woke up to find you not in your bed this morning?” Patrick asked after storming into the house.

“Patrick Martin, stop chastising me. I just lost my two-year boyfriend a few hours ago. So, please, make me feel even more like shit.”

His face fell as he sat next to me. “Really?” I nodded. “I’m so sorry.” I looked away and began conjuring up new ideas. Keeping busy was the only thing to stop me from tears.

After twenty minutes of beating around the bush, Joe voiced what we had all been thinking all along. “How about we turn our gig into a benefit show? We’ll invite everyone. Make it kid-friendly and such. All proceeds will go to the survivor’s and victim’s families. All supplies will go to the troops. Hell, we’ll even donate the money we would have gotten.”

“Joe, for once, you actually said something intelligent!” I squealed, launching across the room and embracing him tightly. “Ok, I’ll ask Dr. Green tomorrow early tomorrow morning. He has to say yes!”

I went home happier than I had been in a long while. Things were starting to look my way.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok. so, this started out as two separate chapters...but they were both really short...so I jammed them together. dude, this story almost has 20 comments and 2 stars! keep 'em comin and I'll love ya like an emo kid loves ta cry!!!! 2 comments= update