Status: completed

Fall Out Girl

Walking Off the Stage (and into your arms?)

Stressful. That’s the only word that can come close to describing the fundraiser. Of course, it was thrown together on Thursday- exactly two days before today. I faked smiles the entire time, weaving my way in and out of the bodies of people. It was currently 6:45 and Pat’s band was nowhere to be found. I seriously did not need this right now. I spotted Will’s tuft of dirt brown hair in the distance and practically ran to him.

“Will!” he looked back at me and smiled.

“Emmy, this rocks so far!!! How did you manage to pull it all together in two days?”

“Trust me, you don’t want to know. Have you seen Patrick or any of the other guys?”
He scrunched up his face and scratched his head. “Yea, I think they’re at the stage…or was it...? Nah, they’re behind the stage somewhere. Need any help?”

“Not right now, I’ll find you though.”

He smiled. “Hey, have you seen Cynthia? You, know, my height, chestnut hair, really spazzy? I can’t find her anywhere.”

It was my turn to rack my brain, trying to remember the tall punk-princess. “Nah. Can’t help you there. But you know her, she’ll be at the front of the stage as soon as she hears guitar riffs.”

Will laughed. “You’re right about that. I’ll see ya around. Love ya!”

“Love ya, too!” I called back to him as we went our separate ways. As soon as I turned around, my face met someone’s chest. Startled, I took a step back and looked at my road block.

“Hello, Amelia.” Mayor Thomas said with a smile. “How are you? I heard about Parker, he was the best receiver this town has ever seen.”

“Yea, he was a great guy. Anyways, I’m fine, just trying to find my band. How are you? Are you enjoying yourself?”

“Amelia, this is a wonderful event. The community hasn’t come together like this in a long time. As for your band, they’re setting up right now, see?” I looked over to the stage. Sure enough, there were the four losers running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

“Thank you for finding them. I’m sorry to do this, but I have to run. I’ll talk to you later.”

“Ok, see you later.” He smiled and waved as I dashed to the stage.

“WHAT THE EFFIN BLEEP!” I screamed at them while climbing on stage.

“Emz, did you just censor yourself?” Joe asked.

“YES, Trohmanator, I did! There’s small kids around! Is this set clean? Do I have to kill someone when it finishes?”

“Emmy, breathe.” Chris said, grabbing my shoulders and staring deep into my eyes. “In. Out. In. Out. That’s a girl!”

I glared at him. “I will eat you if you do not back off, and I don’t mean that in the good way. I mean it in the cannibalism way.” I said, removing any trace of a sexual innuendo from any one of their lips.

“Whoa! Who said anything about eating anyone?!” Pat yelled from his kit. “We don’t need that at our first show, Amelia Caterina.”

“Oh, shut it, Patrick Martin. Are you guys ready to start?”

“Umm, yea. I think. Get off my stage.” Chris said after fiddling with his guitar and mic.

“Nuh-eu, I get to make announcements and introduce you.” I said, taking the mic from its stand. “Can I have everyone’s attention, please?” Everyone looked over at the stage, smiles adorning their faces. “First off, how is everyone doing? Having a fun time?” they cheered. “That’s good. Ok. A few short announcements and then the band behind me will start.” More cheering. “Alright, we made $1,032.86 tonight! I want to thank you all for coming out tonight. This couldn’t have been accomplished without all of you here, supporting our cause. We also collected over $200 in non-perishable foods and things to send to the overseas troops. You guys rock. Second, I would like to thank Mayor Thomas and Dr. Green for giving me permission and full creative control over this little monster. I also want to thank my friends and family for helping me develop and plan the entire evening. So, without further adieu, here’s Wilmette’s own FALL OUT BOY!!!” I handed Chris the mic back and jumped off stage. There was no way I was missing out on my brother and best friend’s first show.

They started off with Jawbreaker’s “Save Your Generation.” They did such a good job! I eventually bumped into Cynthia. She sent me a rather obvious wink and started spazzing out. I looked around for Will, but couldn’t find him anywhere. Shrugging, I turned back to face my brother and his best friends. They kept in classic for a few songs before launching into a few of their originals. They played the one that I heard in the basement, but the other one caught my ear. I think Chris called it “Pretty in Punk.”

Walking off that stage tonight
I know what you’re thinking
“He stands alone because he’s high on himself”
But if you only knew…

I was terrified and would you mind if I
sat next to you and watched you smile
So many kids but I only see you
And I don’t think you notice me
Well I’ve seen your boyfriend
and I don’t think he treats you right
But that’s none of my business is it?

I’m not the way you think I am, no
I’m not the way you think I am, no

The only girl who ever gave me the time
was the one who only wanted five minutes of mine
Knocking boots in the back,
How degrading is that?
I decline

I’m too terrified and would you mind if I
sat next to you and watched you smile
So many kids but I only see you
And I don’t think you notice me
Well I’ve seen your boyfriend
and I don’t think he treats you right
But that’s none of my business is it?

I’m not the way you think I am, no
I’m not the way you think I am, no

I’m not the way you think I am, no
I’m not the way you think I am, no
I’m not the way you think I am, no
I’m not the way you think I am, no

I’m not the way you think I am, no
I’m not the way you think I am, no, no"

I was hypnotized. That song was about me. I couldn’t believe it. Pete had said almost those exact same words to me countless times when we were alone. Was he the lyricist? Do the other guys know who the song was about? They had to know at least a little.

They played a few more originals, each somehow linking back to me in a strange way. I hadn’t decided if I liked songs being written about me or not. I suppose that it’s ok for right now. I’ll stop it before it gets too out of hand.

After their set, Pat and the rest came running up to me. “So?” my sweaty twin asked. “What’d you think?”

“I loved it! Those originals rocked!” I said, masking my insecurity. Pat saw right through it, like always. He gave me a very subtle we’ll-talk-later look and let me be. I hugged all of the sweaty boys, saving Pete for last.

“We need to talk.” I whispered in his ear. “Meet me on the jungle gym at 3am.”

He subtly nodded as I let go of him.

“Oh, sis, I want you to meet someone.” I was confused. I already knew everyone. I narrowed my eyes at him as he drug a small, black-haired girl from behind him. “Emmy, this is Josie- we’ve been going out for the past three weeks.” I looked at “Josie.” She was cute, maybe 5’4” with olive skin and dark brown eyes- the basic Italian look.

“Hey. I’ve heard all about you!” she said…very hyperly.

“And I’ve heard nothing about you. Excuse me while I talk to my twin.” I said slowly, trying to find a grip. I grabbed Pat’s arm and drug him over to a very secluded part of the park.

“Goddamn! When did you get so strong?!” he exclaimed, running the spot where my hand was.

“Three weeks? Patrick, THREE WEEKS?! What the hell? When were you going to tell me?!”

“Emmy, it’s not that big of a deal.” He said calmly.

“NOT A BIG DEAL?! You used to NEVER keep thing from me!”

“You had Parker to worry about. I didn’t want to put you under-”

“Cut the crap, Patrick.”

“You know? May be THIS is why I didn’t tell you when I first started going out with her! I KNEW you would react like this!”

I was so pissed off, not at him, but the fact that we were drifting apart. It used to be that we would tell each other everything. I slowly felt myself fading. “I’m so sorry.” I whispered, slipping into darkness.
♠ ♠ ♠
CLIFFHANGER!!!! but I gotta run to class. peace out my home-fries!